hi jeff-your daily food choices

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

hi jeff-your daily food choices

Postby chewy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:41 am

hi jeff, just curious what a typical day of meals and food choices is for you. hope you don't mind my asking!do you eat more starchy vegetables than grains for your starches?do you eat beans daily?
you look very healthy!
chewy

Re: hi jeff-your daily food choices

Postby JeffN » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:29 am

chewy wrote:hi jeff, just curious what a typical day of meals and food choices is for you. hope you don't mind my asking!do you eat more starchy vegetables than grains for your starches?do you eat beans daily?
you look very healthy!

Thanks.

Before I answer your question, let me add in some comments....

My job as a health professional is to work with people where they are, and move them towards achieving their goals is the safest healthiest way possible. There are so many variables to take into consideration (ie, philosophical, religious, spiritual, allergies, tolerances, medical history, etc, etc), that it is difficult for me to just say "this is the way" for anyone or everyone. I know many people want me to do that, but I choose not to.

There is no one answer to this and my past experience is that when I do give my personal specific information, it is often used in the wrong ways. For example, I am often challenged as why I would recommend foods I do not consume myself and/or the opposite. Or people try to follow what I eat to the "T" instead of trying to find out what works for them.

What works for me, works for me, and may not work for anyone else. What matters most is finding what works for you, within the principles and guidelines.

In general, I recommend and consume a low fat, high fiber diet based on unrefined unprocessed plant foods (fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, intact whole grains, legumes) that are low in calorie density, high in nutrient density and high in satiety.

The two philosophies that have influenced me the most over the years are that of Natural Hygiene and the McDougall program.

But, there is no "one day snapshot" that would help explain how I incorporate all of this into my own life.

However, when I am home I consume a huge amount of veggies (by volume) and love salads, steamed veggies and leafy greens. I do eat beans, and love which ever fresh fruits are in season. Right now I am going "ga ga" over cherries and lychee nuts and melons. :) I love brown rice, potatoes (especially sweet potatoes) and eat them regularly. I eat my food as simply as possible, in simple recipes and avoid most all processed refined foods. I also add in small amounts of nuts/seeds (mostly flax) on a semi-regular basis. I limit my calories and usually eat around 2 meals a day with a snack or two.

I also work out almost every day for about one hour and it is a simple program of a combination of calisthenics, running, sprinting, jumping rope, and body weight/gymnastic exercises that I can do almost anywhere. I own a Air Dyne and a Nordic Track which I use but would rather be out running/walking on the beach. And I have also practiced meditation regularly this whole time also.

On the road, I do the best I can.

However, there are a few ways you can find out exactly what I may be choosing at any specific moment in time...

1) Come to a McDougall Program and sit with me at meals. :) Though Mary will spoil you and well as she spoils me!!

(NOTE: you may even find me walking around on my hands and trying to teach Dr McDougall's grandsons to do the same)

2) Come to a veg conference I am speaking at and sit with me at meals (NAVS, NHA, etc) :)

(NOTE: When I am the veg conferences, it is like going on a cruise ship to me.) ;)

3) Invite me out to eat or invite me over for dinner. :)

4) Marry me. :)

Did I answer your question?

In Health
Jeff
Last edited by JeffN on Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
JeffN

Postby luvoatmeal » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:36 am

Thanks Mr. Novick for giving us a peak into your everyday life. It sounds like it is very fulfilling and balanced.

I appreciate this forum very much - I've learned ALOT!

luvoatmeal
luvoatmeal

Postby chewy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:37 am

thank you jeff! you are great! :)
chewy

Do you have any favorite restaurants in S Fl?

Postby veggiecat » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:31 am

I'm in WPB.Do yo go to Sweet Tomatoes?
Best wishes,Cat
veggiecat

Re: Do you have any favorite restaurants in S Fl?

Postby JeffN » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:50 am

veggiecat wrote:I'm in WPB.Do yo go to Sweet Tomatoes?

Yes. One of my favorite places to eat. There is one right down the street from my home.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Rita » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:55 am

Oh, Sweet Tomatoes is one of my fave places to visit when I'm in FL. Only wish there'd be one in my proximity - MD-DC.
Rita

Postby CHEF AJ » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:33 am

JeffN wrote:
3) Invite me out to eat or invite me over for dinner. :)

4) Marry me. :)

Did I answer your question?

In Health
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I just came across this old post. Is #4 still an option? If not, not then I would like to sign up for option #3 by having you over for dinner on Saturday night, October 16th when you are in LA. Are you down with that?

Love & Kale,
Chef AJ
Love & Kale,
Chef AJ
www.EatUnprocessed.com
www.HealthyTasteOnline.com
CHEF AJ

Postby dlb » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:43 am

Chef AJ -

I noticed he did not answer you and have been waiting patiently for his reply ;-).

Donna
To read how the McDougall Program helped me reach my goals, go here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/donna_byrnes.html
dlb

Postby CHEF AJ » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:42 am

When a thread is this old, will he still see it? Maybe if he knows that all of the Esselstyns have eaten at my home and gone on to lead normal lives he'll feel more at ease :lol:
Love & Kale,
Chef AJ
www.EatUnprocessed.com
CHEF AJ

Postby CHEF AJ » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:04 pm

I'm actually married so I can't marry Jeff unless my husband and Karen approve, but we would love to have him for dinner, I mean, have him OVER for dinner :)
Love & Kale,
Chef AJ
www.EatUnprocessed.com
CHEF AJ

Return to Jeff Novick, RD