Corn allergy

Post gluten-free topics here. Read McDougall's thoughts in his Sept. 2005 newsletter: Could It Be Celiac Disease?

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve

Postby Lilac » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:38 pm

Autumn wrote:
Here's bread mixes, We love them! This is all my sister buys for her kids who cant eat soy, gluten, dairy, eggs, or yeast. Even though I dont eat bread on a regular basis its nice to have it here and there :) I freeze the mixes and it stores well. http://www.glutenevolution.com/ We like her regular bread, pumpkin bread, and banana bread.

What a great company, so much work and thought had to go into developing these products. Thank you for letting me know about them, I am already finding it challenging to decide what I can and can not eat and this will really help!
Lilac

NO Corn Syrup Cranberry Sauce

Postby auntemmy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:32 am

Here is a recipe from The New Vegan

Holiday Cranberry Relish

1lb Fresh Cranberries
1/2 cup Maple Syrup
1/2 cup Freshly squeezed orange juice, pulp and all
2 pears, finely diced
1tsp grated lemon peel
4 tbs port

place cranberries, syrup and orange juice in a saucepan and bring to a slow boil, about 6 minutes. Add the pears and grated lemon peel; simmer 2 minutes. Add the port, mix thouroughly and serve.

I have not tried this yet but maybe it's an okay replacement for traditional canned cranberries. :)
~Emmy

What's taters, precious?
Po-ta-toes? Boil 'em. mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew?
auntemmy

Postby Autumn » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:45 pm

Lilac- Your welcome, it is a great company. All of the allergies and intolerances are so overwhelming. I really feel for adults and especially kids who dont know what to eat and the insecurity of kids who feel different than others. She also teaches gluten free cooking classes and check out her tips and recipe area for baking goods and breads. My sister uses a zojirushi bread maker for the breads and they seem to turn out beautifully.

Auntemmy- the recipe sounds delicious, thanks for sharing :)
Autumn

Postby Autumn » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:49 pm

Authentic foods pancake mix is what my sister uses. It's kinda pricey but quick and easy for pancakes. Usually blended fruits or pure maple syrup is what she uses on top of them.

Gluten free pantry taco seasoning is a good seasoning mix that only uses pure spices.
Autumn

Postby Lilac » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:40 pm

Thank you so much auntemmy for the recipe, it does look delicious and I am sure it will be a great replacement for the canned version. In fact much better!! Kind of like a chutney, something especially to eat with rice.

And Autumn, also more great information that I will check into! I have a zojirushi bread maker (and rice maker too which I love).

Also I feel so badly for kids who have one much less numerous food allergies. To learn how to stay away from things that they can't have and feel left out at parties or other events would be so difficult.

I just keep thinking that I will really have a clean(er) diet revising everything like this, today I found organic ketchup that is sugar free, so no corn syrup! I don't use it often but thought a jar version versus making my own for this would be nice.

Can't wait to try out the cranberry recipe!

Thank you everyone!!
Lilac

Postby Lilac » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:43 pm

Autumn wrote:Authentic foods pancake mix is what my sister uses. It's kinda pricey but quick and easy for pancakes. Usually blended fruits or pure maple syrup is what she uses on top of them.

I just checked Amazon and found this, it was $6.50 a bag. I'll check Central Market this weekend and if I don't find it there I think I'll order some to try out!
Lilac

Postby Autumn » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:09 pm

I think gluten free mall has it too. I find really good prices at local health food stores for ordering.
Autumn

Postby Lilac » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:53 pm

I had a funny moment this morning, I wanted to do some baking. Well, I thought... is EnerG egg replacer going to have any corn products in it? Thankfully not, it appears to be safe for gluten free and corn free baking.

:D
Lilac

Postby Autumn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:42 pm

Egg replacer is fine thank goodness! I would be stuck with no baked goods if it wasnt. :-D
Autumn

Autumn...about egg replacer

Postby Chrmann » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:33 am

Ener-G-Egg Replacer has corn in it ! ! !

I cannot remember what the corn ingredient was in the Ener-G-Egg product you buy in the stores. Corn goes by over 10,000 names now. I think it was "Maltodextrin" but not sure. It has been several years since I
found this out. Let me know what the ingredients are, as listed on the box and I will tell you what the corn is.

I typed a list of the different names corn goes by and made small cards that I laminated and keep in my purse. A lot of items have toll free numbers on the packaging. I call, if unsure, before I put it in my grocery buggy. Cell phones can be good for something!

Don't panic...you can make your own Ener-G Type Egg Replacer that is corn-free. I make my own egg replacer to use in recipes. Copy the following recipe and tape it to the jar you store it in ( I keep mine in a quart size canning jar). That way you don't lose the recipe and know how to use it. This recipe works good in recipes calling for eggs. But, it does not make scrambled eggs or such-like. I use it alot and it is fairly cheap to make. I'm allergic to corn and eggs (and more).

Ener-G Type Egg Replacer:

1 cup potato starch
3/4 cup tapioca flour
2 teaspoons Featherweight baking powder

Mix all well.
Store in a glass jar with airtight lid.

To use: (Mix well or shake jar before measuring!)
1 & 1/2 teaspoons powder * 2 Tablespoons water = 1 egg
1 & 1/2 teaspoons powder * 1 Tablespoon water = 1 egg yolk
Chrmann

Postby Lilac » Thu May 08, 2008 2:48 pm

I am so sorry I hadn't seen the latest reponses to my post!

And thank you Chrmann for your message. I have a box of EnerG Egg Replacer and here are the ingredients...

potato starch
tapioca flour
leavening-calcium lactate, calcium carbonate, citric acid
cellulose gum
carbohydrate gum
calcium lactate (not dairy derived)
Corn allergy (and peanuts)
Lactose intolerant
Gluten sensitivity
Lilac

Postby Chrmann » Thu May 08, 2008 3:06 pm

citric acid is usually from corn.

Ener-G told me there was corn in this product.
Chrmann

Postby Lilac » Sat May 24, 2008 6:31 am

Chrmann wrote:citric acid is usually from corn.

Ener-G told me there was corn in this product.

I can't get over how corn and its byproducts are in just about everything! But glad to know it so I can avoid this too. I find some applesauce or banana helps to bind what ever I might be baking anyway, nice to stick with the natural ingredients also.

Thank you for this information!

After I get back from vacation this next week I am to call my allergist to set up the next set of testing. I don't know what they will be doing but we are going to try to determine the extent of the corn allergy. Should be interesting.
Corn allergy (and peanuts)
Lactose intolerant
Gluten sensitivity
Lilac

Postby marybeth0051 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:48 pm

My husband is allergic to corn syrup...which is in everything!!! His reaction is, that when he eats it...he will break out into hives, his ears turn beet red and he itches all over...then joints all begin to hurt. He is able to eat corn on the cob with no problems.....not sure why that is?? There must be something in the corn syrup that is super concentrated.
"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food" Hippocrates
marybeth0051

Postby starchcurious » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:51 am

Autumn wrote:Here's bread mixes, We love them! This is all my sister buys for her kids who cant eat soy, gluten, dairy, eggs, or yeast. Even though I dont eat bread on a regular basis its nice to have it here and there :) I freeze the mixes and it stores well. http://www.glutenevolution.com/ We like her regular bread, pumpkin bread, and banana bread. I havent tried the others but I would like to try the cranberry mix. Some have honey but a few of hers dont. We still eat honey. Your welcome, If I think of others I will let you know. Regarding the salt in the canned beans, it might contain corn or it might not. If you are curious you can call the company and ask them if its iodized salt.

Those look amazing! Thank you!
starchcurious

PreviousNext

Return to Gluten-free Issues