Menopause.

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Menopause.

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:59 pm

I started menopause at 41--I was vegan (have been for many years) and eating mostly McDougall at the time. I had a few hot flashes, for which I took Estroven (soy-based OTC supplement) for a few months. That was pretty much it.

I doubt that the reason I did it early was b/c of eating plant-based--my mom had early menopause as well. But it could be related. My mom, however, had terrible hot flashes and took Premarin (which I would NEVER, EVER TAKE, due to where it comes from and the abuse that allows it to be produced (http://www.lcanimal.org/index.php/campa ... ues/horses for anyone ignorant about this)) for many years.

I really had to say that I didn't see what all the fuss was about! Barely affected me at all LOL!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Mely » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:02 pm

Wow. 41 is young to go through menopause. I have read that a plant-based diet greatly reduces the symptoms so it makes sense you didn't think it was a big deal.

When you say you went through menopause at 41 what does that mean exactly? Was your last period at 41?

My mother went through menopause at 50. I am 46 and went off hormonal BC about 2 months ago and haven't yet gotten a period. I have been having hot flashes though, especially at night. They don't seem as bad as some people describe and they are quite short lived. I'm wondering if this is the start or if it's just a result of my body's own hormonal system kicking in after years of being on hormones.
Mely

Postby sjsilver » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:56 pm

Hot flashes didn't bother me when I was just getting one of them at a time. There were days where I was bombarded with half a dozen, one right after the other. The worst ones were in the heat of summer. I am so relieved that a plant based diet helps with this.
sjsilver

Postby Dr Sues » Thu May 22, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi all! What fun to find this thread :) I'm 56, last period in 2009. I've been vegetarian for decades and a marginal McDougaller until recently--about 1 month-- when I fully committed. My biggest frustration is my new and totally stubborn spare tire and my persistantly high blood glucose (self-diagnosed and monitoring diabetes since levels never too high, but usually over 126, although I haven't tested recently).
Anyhow, when reading this thread, it just dawned on me that my hot flashes (and even more annoying cold flashes--no fun when negative 29 degrees F!!) are definitely lessened!! Wasn't even thinking of that benefit of WOE. Yay! :-D
OK, I am curious and hope this isn't offensive to anyone (moderator may take it off if it is!) but it is a menopausal issue....how are people doing with vaginal dryness and are people taking hormones or what?
Dr Sues

Postby Gwen » Thu May 22, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi Dr Sues,
I've had vaginal issues since menopause about 7 yrs ago. I'd tried systemic natural hormone therapy and it really messed me up. So now I deal with this problem with a compounded vaginal gel containing bio-identical Estriol...the weakest of the 3 estrogens. I use 1mg per gram, 3 times a week. I asked my regular GP to prescribe it for me, and he did.
Gwen
Gwen

Postby Dr Sues » Thu May 22, 2014 9:05 pm

Thanks Gwen, I was just curious if pure McDougallers had this issue :)
Dr Sues

Previous

Return to Health Issues