Breaking a fever

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Breaking a fever

Postby KristaO » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:58 pm

Any ideas of breaking a fever?

Thanks,

Krista
KristaO

Postby dlb » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:47 am

KristaO -

There is the school of thought that fevers are beneficial and that you should ride them out if not too high.

That said, I had the flu recently with the accompanying fever, headaches, muscle pain, etc. I used white willow bark which I made as a tea. Friends went to the doctor for perscriptions. I recovered as fast if not faster than them.

I hope you or whoever is feeling better soon.

Donna
To read how the McDougall Program helped me reach my goals, go here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/donna_byrnes.html
dlb

Postby vwnut » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:20 pm

I too hope you are feeling better by the time you read this. In the '60's while in the Air Force I contracted the dreaded measles and had to report to the base hospital. My fever was very high and they came into my room with two cups of coffee, two glasses of water, two glasses of milk and the command to drink it all within the hour. I drank it and fell asleep. Around two in the morning I awoke with the biggest sweat I have ever experienced soaking the bedsheets three times. By morning the fever was gone. I have since used large amounts of fluids when I get a fever and it seems to really help. It is true that fever is the body's response to sickness and is not bad unless it goes too high. I think the number I have heard is above 103 degrees F. I wish you well.
"If it is a plant eat it; If it is made in a plant leave it."
vwnut

Feeling better....

Postby KristaO » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:03 am

Hi Donna & vwnut,

I appreciate your kind words. I'm drinking lots of liquids, echanacia and super tonic formula, vit c, etc. Then my Sister-In-Law said that tea with caffiene would help, so I made some tea. When I went to get Nyquil (it's the only thing that would help me sleep) I found a humidifier, so I had that on all night with Vicks... began sweating and the fever was gone!

S-I-L wanted me to get antibiotics on Monday :eek: so now I'll have a good report for her that I don't need a doc, LOL....

Thx!
Krista

PS - Donna, congrats on reaching your goal! :)
KristaO

Postby ReneeK » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:19 pm

I'm glad your fever broke and hope you're feeling better. Last year around Easter I had an unexplained fever (no other symptoms) for about a week. At one point in time, it spiked to 104. You can believe I went to the ER the next morning. They ran all kinds of tests and pumped me full of IV fluids and couldn't come up with a diagnosis. They just sent me home to ride it out. I got a lot of rest, drank a ton of fluids, and just suffered through the chills and sweats until it finally broke for good. Believe me, after that experience I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
ReneeK

Return to Health Issues