Toxic smells in the workplace

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Toxic smells in the workplace

Postby CarrotTopsRGreen » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:32 am

Ugh.

I am in the accounting department, and it seems that law firms often relegate these departments to the basement, since we don't usually see clients. Not far from my office, there is a utility room and boiler room. There is a lavatory connected with that utility room, and our maintenance man and even some of the male lawyers use that bathroom. They imagine that their use of a fruity-smelling air freshener spray will make all the other nasty smells disappear. Not so, of course; it's just one nasty smell with a chemical fruity smell on top of it. It's awful.

I don't know how to broach this subject without anyone getting terribly embarrassed, including myself. Since I am the manager of the accounting department, if I knew there were a 'healthier' spray I would simply buy some and substitute it for the noxious fake stuff. But I don't know that because I don't use such products in my home.

I had to deal with the maintenance man using these awful bacterial wipes in the lunchroom, also right by my office, by asking him not to do the wiping when I am in the office. And then of course, several times a year when maintenance is done on the ancient oil burners, we have to deal with those petroleum odors as well.

I am a rather healthy person, but I have to wonder what this is doing to the accounting assistant, who was recently diagnosed with Sjogren's and has recurring pneumonia and other symptoms. Speaking to management won't do much good; they have their heads firmly planted in the ground regarding any and all building issues.
CarrotTopsRGreen

Re: Toxic smells in the workplace

Postby Demosthenes » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:50 am

Many people swear by this product. Apparently you put a few drops in the bowl before you use it and it traps odors inside. I have not used it myself but it looks like it's just essential oils that are non-toxic and natural.
http://www.poopourri.com/
"Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat 2,000 of something."- Mitch Hedberg
Demosthenes

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:30 am

Being a farmer is definitely healthier than being in an office building. I am close to a photocopy machine which I am sure has lots of toxic fumes. I get out every lunch time to exercise at costco. Lots of indoor pollution both in the office and at home.
colonyofcells

Postby Demosthenes » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:11 pm

LynnCS wrote:I wouldn't have any problem asking the users of the bathroom to use a different bathroom with more ventilation. Keep it simple. Don't say too much. Just ask them to take their business elsewhere while you..you know...hold your nose. Why worry about embarrassing them? I would say something as they walk out that DOES embarrass them. They should already be embarrassed and they've embarrassed you by coming down there to create a stink and leave. BTW...there are basic laws about light and ventilation for homes, at least. Maybe you could appeal on the basis of some basic needs of clean air and ventilation.

I would say something, as they walk out like, "You know there's no real ventilation in there, right? When you leave, you are leaving a little memento of yourself." I'd be coughing and holding my nose...Then tell them to take it elsewhere.

The next time, I would say, "If you do that here again, I'm going to make you stay and enjoy the after effects with the rest of us."

You could all stand up and applaud. Then say that you want them to take it to a better ventilated bathroom. You don't just want to be passive aggressive about it. After the nose holding and applause...you have to tell them what you want. Have a little fun with it, but be clear too.

I disagree with this approach. It's not a crime to defecate in a restroom, that's what they're there for. I for one can't stand defecating in a public restroom, but with this way of eating and my four hour round trip commute every weekday it's going to happen. Chances are they are already embarrassed to have to use a restroom where other people can smell what they've done. Confronting them about it in this manner seems rude at best and harassment at worst.
"Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat 2,000 of something."- Mitch Hedberg
Demosthenes

Postby viv » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:02 pm

You need POO-POURRI--a brilliant invention that is becoming a cultural phenomenon! The ad for it is absolutely hilarious, check it out. btw over 4 million bottles have already been sold in a short time.

http://www.poopourri.com
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby CarrotTopsRGreen » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:45 am

Well-ventilated bathrooms around here are nonexistent anyway. This is a 19th Century building and the owners (read: my bosses) make that their excuse for the poor condition everything is in and the fact that we do not have 21st century quality facilities. Walls are crumbling, it's filthy etc. I doubt my office has seen a coat of paint in 35 years. I'm not kidding. Whatever money doesn't go into facilities improvement goes into their pockets. There aren't even any ventilation fans in any of the lavatories. This is a small town and I've never seen an inspector come through our doors in all the years I've been working here.

My co-workers and I always say that we really don't want to think about what we are being forced to breathe down here. I told my boss it was depressing in here once and he looked at me incredulously. To him, it looks fine. We should all just be grateful we have a job is the mantra. So we just control what few things we can. Something I may be able to control is the use of toxic sprays in my immediate vicinity. I just have to figure out how to do it.

We would give Dickens's villainous workplaces a run for their money, LOL!
CarrotTopsRGreen

Postby viv » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:57 am

Aside from the smelly bathrooms, your working environment/conditions seem, as you say, positively Dickensian. It may be time to start looking for another job!
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby JulieS » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:33 pm

CarrotTopsRGreen wrote:Well-ventilated bathrooms around here are nonexistent anyway. This is a 19th Century building and the owners (read: my bosses) make that their excuse for the poor condition everything is in and the fact that we do not have 21st century quality facilities. Walls are crumbling, it's filthy etc. I doubt my office has seen a coat of paint in 35 years. I'm not kidding. Whatever money doesn't go into facilities improvement goes into their pockets. There aren't even any ventilation fans in any of the lavatories. This is a small town and I've never seen an inspector come through our doors in all the years I've been working here.

My co-workers and I always say that we really don't want to think about what we are being forced to breathe down here. I told my boss it was depressing in here once and he looked at me incredulously. To him, it looks fine. We should all just be grateful we have a job is the mantra. So we just control what few things we can. Something I may be able to control is the use of toxic sprays in my immediate vicinity. I just have to figure out how to do it.

We would give Dickens's villainous workplaces a run for their money, LOL!

Time to dust off your resume. Yuck!
LOST 55 POUNDS! From pant size 14 to size 4, BMI:21
JulieS

Postby CarrotTopsRGreen » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:53 am

perhaps having a little fun with it doesn't appeal to everyone. I've always only worked with men and we always poked fun at each other about things like the call of nature, and what it leaves behind, so I guess it depends on your experience

I work with attorneys ... and do not feel that comfortable with most of them when it comes to anything of a personal nature. And the men who use that particular rest room are not those who have the power to make any changes either. It's the maintenance man and the junior attorneys who come down here.

Not that easy to find a job making the salary I am making, but I do look. I've been here more than 13 years.
CarrotTopsRGreen

Postby CarrotTopsRGreen » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:18 am

Yes, venting and at the same time hoping to find a solution that doesn't upset the apple cart too much. This is an old, old firm ... its roots go way back to the 1800s and in its present form, it has existed since the early 1960s. It's paternalistic to say the least, and they believe in top-down management. I replaced a woman who was 77 years old when she left and had been in this position for 35 years. All attempts at change are strongly resisted.

Not long after my promotion, they also hired a 33-year-old MBA for marketing. She and I get along famously and together, we have been trying to make positive changes, but every single thing we have been able to do has been hard-fought. Sometimes we get very discouraged, but then we look around and see the things we have been able to get accomplished, and realize that it's getting better, just not as quickly as we would like. We had no lights in the parking lot three years ago ... and now we do. We had hand-written paychecks and now I have software and have instituted direct deposit. We have upgraded our benefits. Some areas of the building have had paint and new carpet. These old guys will not be here forever; my boss, the CFO is over 65. I myself am 58, so I won't be here forever either. I need to hang in there until I can afford to retire; it's not all that likely that I will be able to find another 'good' job considering my age and the fact that I only have an associates' degree. Just doing the best I can with what I have.

But I do appreciate everyone's comments, advice and observations.
CarrotTopsRGreen

Return to The Lounge