shell-belle + Alkalol = THANK YOU

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

shell-belle + Alkalol = THANK YOU

Postby JT of PA » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:45 pm

shell-belle,

Thank You for sharing in previous posts your issues with sinus infections and methods you have used. Your words gave me hope.

I have suffered with sinus issues since childhood and now in my forties go through yearly episodes of sinus problems turning into sinus infections and weeks/months of recovery. Basically, a large portion of my life every year is feeling bad or feeling bad as I recover ... not ideal.

So far this year I've learned so much from Dr. McDougall, using this site and the knowledge/help within it ... (I am down 70 pounds since mid-January).

This past week has seen me gradually succumb to my sinuses and out of frustration/desperation ventured out of the journal section of this site and into the lounge and the search bar function. Your sinus posts came up and within those posts I learned something new, Alkalol. I knew about sinus flushing and adding Betadine but I never knew about this Alkalol product. Quick search online and a quicker drive to the local RiteAid store and I had my first bottle. Back home and a 25% solution mix of Alkalol into a saline solution and .... Whoa Nelly !!! I cannot believe how great I feel! :) My wife is getting a kick out of me incredulously saying every few minutes, "This stuff is amazing!!"

THANK YOU for helping someone across the country!!!

I'm not sure if this will turn around the descent into a full-blown sinus infection since it's had a head start for four days, however, I know this product will have a place in my future sinus health. Thank you kindly for sharing your experiences on this site.

All the best,
John

JT of PA

Re: shell-belle + Alkalol = THANK YOU

Postby shell-belle » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:01 am

JT of PA wrote:.

shell-belle,

Thank You for sharing in previous posts your issues with sinus infections and methods you have used. Your words gave me hope.

I have suffered with sinus issues since childhood and now in my forties go through yearly episodes of sinus problems turning into sinus infections and weeks/months of recovery. Basically, a large portion of my life every year is feeling bad or feeling bad as I recover ... not ideal.

So far this year I've learned so much from Dr. McDougall, using this site and the knowledge/help within it ... (I am down 70 pounds since mid-January).

This past week has seen me gradually succumb to my sinuses and out of frustration/desperation ventured out of the journal section of this site and into the lounge and the search bar function. Your sinus posts came up and within those posts I learned something new, Alkalol. I knew about sinus flushing and adding Betadine but I never knew about this Alkalol product. Quick search online and a quicker drive to the local RiteAid store and I had my first bottle. Back home and a 25% solution mix of Alkalol into a saline solution and .... Whoa Nelly !!! I cannot believe how great I feel! :) My wife is getting a kick out of me incredulously saying every few minutes, "This stuff is amazing!!"

THANK YOU for helping someone across the country!!!

I'm not sure if this will turn around the descent into a full-blown sinus infection since it's had a head start for four days, however, I know this product will have a place in my future sinus health. Thank you kindly for sharing your experiences on this site.

All the best,
John

John--you are so welcome. I am so pleased something I posted was of help to you.

Take a look at this youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVVAQ_lZY18

This guy talks about Xlear which is something I always have on hand--Xlear nasal spray. It's all natural and contains xylitol.
There are also salt packets that contain xylitol. This might help you defeat the infection. I would try BOTH. I would try using the Betadine first - and wash your nose 5x a day using a little Betadine in the irrigation water. Wait a half hour after washing and use the Xlear spray. I think doing that for 3 days in a row you might be okay.

I can buy Xlear sinus wash packets and the spray at my health food store but I order on-line from Swanson as their prices are better. If you sign up for Swanson's email club, you get free shipping.
sinus care rinse system
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/xlear-s ... stem-1-kit

salt packets with xylitol
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/xlear-ne ... &csp=XL011

nasal spray
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/xlear-xy ... &csp=XL013
shell-belle

Postby JT of PA » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:21 pm

shell-belle,

Thank You for the YouTube video link, I watched it and was surprised what the person said about Betadine, (makes me wonder if I should use it or just stick with the Xylitol).

I made a version of the Xlear sinus packet by mixing 1/2 a teaspoon of Xylitol with a NeilMed Sinus Rinse packet (Sodium Chloride and Sodium Bicarbonate). The above seemed to work fine and I might experiment with different dosages of the Xylitol.

http://fauquierent.blogspot.com/2011/12 ... -home.html

I was able to pick up a copy of "No more allergies, asthma, or sinus infections" by Dr. Lon Jones at my local health food store.

I'm not sure if Betadine is "safe" to use, there is a lot of conflicting information on the web. I really like the Alkalol and found it at CVS and RiteAid ... however the cost takes it out of being a daily use item.

If you can steer me toward any information regarding Betadine and sinus flushing I would appreciate it.

Here's where I stand with additives to the saline flush base of salt and sodium bicarbonate:

Hydrogen Peroxide, Betadine and Alkalol - "kills" the bad stuff
Xylitol - makes it so the bad stuff can't stick

Somewhere in all this there is a routine for daily maintenance and then a "super program" for when you're under big time attack. :) I'm getting there ... it might take a while though.

So tomorrow I hope to flush every couple hours and will vary between Alkalol mixed with a NeilMed Sinus Rinse packet and Xylitol mixed with a NeilMed Sinus Rinse packet. For now, I'll keep the Betadine and Hydrogen Peroxide bottles on the shelf.

All the best and again .. Thank You!
John

JT of PA

Postby shell-belle » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:02 am

Hi John- You are welcome ! Betadine is probably not safe to use in your nasal wash water on an on-going basis but for a few days I think it's fine. It was my ENT doctor who told me to use it after my 3rd sinus surgery - for the entire week after surgery. He also told me that whenever I got a cold to use it to prevent a secondary infection.
When ever I got a cold, it would always evolve into a sinus infection. My 3rd surgery was in March of 1995 and that was 18 years ago. Since then I have had only 3 colds - but during each of those 3 colds I irrigated with Betadine multiple times per day for several days with no ill effects. You don't put more than a teaspoon into 2 cups of warm salt water. Back in 2001, I flew to Las Vegas from San Diego for a conference and people at the baggage claim area in LV were smoking. The smoke was very irritating to my nose and when I got to my hotel I felt pressure in my head. Back then I was washing my nose once a day in the morning. That night after dinner I decided to wash my nose again before bed. When I did I had some yellowish mucus. I got dressed and took a taxi to the nearest Walgreens and bought some Betadine.
I got back to my hotel, rinsed again with the Betadine. First thing the next morning I rinsed again with the Betadine and there was less yellow and no more pressure in my heard. For the next 2 days I rinsed at least 3 times per day using Betadine even though all the mucus was clear. So I know Betadine helped me that time. Since then, I never travel without Betadine. It is not for prolonged use but I think a few days is fine. I would not use it for more that a week maximum. The peroxide seems like it would be too irritating to the nose. I have never done that. Some other things I have tried are :boric acid in the nosewashing water & aloe vera juice.

That guy in the youtube talking about Xlear is touting his "discovery" so perhaps his mind is closed to Betadine. I don't think he appreciated my comment about Betadine because it conflicts with what he is saying is the best. But you seem to have an open mind and you are willing to consider all the possibilities. I am not a doctor and you have to do what you feel is best for you. I just wanted you to know that I have used Betadine repeatedly for several days at a time with no problems. I would not be without it in my home and I always take it along when I travel.

Here is something I found:
Betadine (and its generic equivalents) is an iodine-based antiseptic used primarily on superficial skin wounds, though some doctors recommend it to help kill off the pathogens that cause sinus infections. It's best to use only a small amount -- from a few drops to a teaspoon -- to avoid potential harm to the thyroid or the kidneys. One technique is to first irrigate with Betadine and immediately afterward to irrigate again without it to wash it away. Some people are allergic to iodine and should avoid Betadine altogether.

http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/learni ... sitis.html

so if you decide you do want to try Betadine you might do as Reid G. suggests and irrigate again right after irrigating with Betadine - to wash it away.
[ ?? ] Not something I would bother with but doing that may give you more peace of mind.

and here is another thing I found on Betadine :
Betadine 10 cc in 1 L of NS (can stain, and is to be avoided is iodine allergic)

http://www.midwestsinus.com/treatment/n ... sal_rinses

Here is one comment posted on Earth Clinic : 09/24/2007: Sabrina from Denver, CO: "Add 2 drops of Betadine (Povidone Iodine) to the NeilMed sinus rinse bottle along with the room temperature boiled water and salt packet. Betadine is an antiseptic. I tried this solution at the advice of a family physician, and it's the first thing that's ever worked. I did this rinse 4-6 times per day while I had the infection, and it got rid of it within one week. It's the first time I have kicked a sinus infection without antibiotics, and I usually get 4 sinus infections per year. I also added 1/4 tsp of hydrogen peroxide for good measure, but that's something I did, not the doctor's suggestion."

I have read about using 2-5 drops of baby shampoo in your nose washing water. Supposedly it removes "biofilms".

Have you heard of Hydro-Pulse ?

Years ago, Dr. Murray Grossan took a dental WaterPik and designed a nozzle for it that you could hold against one nostril at a time in order to pulse salt water gently into the sinuses. Dr. Grossan is a medical ENT doctor, is otolaryngology board certified and his product is FDA registered. My ENT gave me one of those sinus irrigating tip attachments [ I already had a water pik } and I used that to perform irrigations for years.

Dr Grossan NOW has a 'system' called HydroPulse.....and he sells it on-line. I now have this system and it works great. Most people think this is too much to bother with is why I suggest they use the neti pot. But this Hydropulse does the superior job of nosewashing.
http://www.grossaninstitute.com/

Something that may help you is guaifensein. I take it every day and have since 1995. My ENT said this to me - " Control the mucus. Mucus is caustic and it creates inflammation if it lingers in your system".
And he prescribed guaifenesin - he also told me "guaifenesin fights inflammation by adding water to mucus".
Now guaifenesin is sold over the counter.
I buy it on-line and if you are interested I can tell you where.
You want your mucus moist & thin so it can run down the throat or out the nose and not be thick.
you want THIN MUCUS AT ALL TIMES. I take guaifenesin every single day and I drink LOTS of water.

guaifenesin has no side effects and is even safe for children. It is marketed for respiratory mucus problems and is available without prescription in various strengths.

Good for you for experimenting with the xylitol. Keep me posted about how you progress!
-Shelley
shell-belle

Postby shell-belle » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:08 am

shell-belle

Postby JT of PA » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:34 pm

Shelley,

Thank You for the information and links ... I've enjoyed reading and learning from them.

So far today I've had four sinus flushes that include 1/2 a teaspoon of Betadine with the salt/sodium bicarbonate packet.

May I ask your daily sinus flush routine? If so, do you use salt/sodium bicarbonate packet mostly or add Xylitol/Alklol to it?

I use to have a Hydro-Pulse but eventually went back to the NeilMed squeeze bottle.

It seems the Gua-Aid is the cleanest/purest guaifenesin that I can purchase ... pricey, but I prefer something that has no dyes in it.

My wife and I Thank You for all your detailed and sacrificial help ... it's not quick typing such in-depth posts such as the ones you kindly do. :-)

Hopefully, I'll sleep better tonight and will be able to sing tomorrow in church.

All the best,
John

JT of PA

Postby Jenna » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:47 pm

Shelly and John,

Thank you both SO much for this conversation! I have terrible sinus issues. I only usually get sick once or twice a year (despite being a mother of 3 little boys and a college professor who runs into lots of germs), but when I do, it is immediately a sinus infection.

I add a couple of drops of baby shampoo to my sinus rinse (I love the Neilmed squeeze bottle, too), and that has helped a lot, but I will look for Alkalol and betadine to have on hand the next time this happens because I really can't afford a sinus infection at this point.

Thanks!
Jenna
Jenna

Postby shell-belle » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:28 pm

John--happy to help if I can and you are welcome.

yes the guai aid from http://medvitamins.com
is where I buy my guaifenesin. I like the vegetarian capsules.

Each morning I take 2 400 mg guaifenesin capsules. you asked what is my daily sinus flush routine?
Each morning in the shower I rinse using my neti pot and
one CVS sinus wash saline packet. I do not routinely add Xylitol or Alklol to it. Only if
I have been breathing a lot of dust or smoke do I use Alkalol in the nose wash water. If I had
a cold I would wash 5x a day and I'd use Alkalol 2 of those 5 times I washed my nose and Betadine
the other 3 out of the 5 times.

Each night before bed I use the Xlear spray. I just spray some in my nose with my head tilted back
and wait several seconds and blow my nose. I take another 400 mg guaifenesin capsule. I carry a small
bottle of Xlear in my purse and if it is hot, dry, windy or dusty, I will spay my nose multiple times a day.

Homemade solutions and most commercial solutions are isotonic (salt concentration equal to that of our body, 0.9%).
This recipe is from the Division of Allergy and Immunology at Scripps Clinic in san Diego. Given to me by

the head of the department - my former allergist--years ago :

"ENT Solution"
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon white Karo syrup
1 pint warm water - 16 ounces

Baking Soda-Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) acts as a buffer. Water tends to be slightly acidic. This occasionally bothers some people. The addition of baking soda brings the pH of the solution back into a physiological range.

Karo Syrup functions to make the solution more closely matched to our physiological sugar concentration. It sort of makes the water more "slippery".
Sounds odd but I have used it often - not all the time. You may want to try adding the Karo sometime to feel the effect. We get these dry santa ana winds
this time of year and if the air is especially dry, this "ENT Solution" is very good to try. In the winter when we have the heat on, the air inside our home can get dry so I will use the ENT Solution many times in the winter.

Hope you sing in church and feel fine tomorrow.
Shelley

JT of PA wrote:Shelley,

Thank You for the information and links ... I've enjoyed reading and learning from them.

So far today I've had four sinus flushes that include 1/2 a teaspoon of Betadine with the salt/sodium bicarbonate packet.

May I ask your daily sinus flush routine? If so, do you use salt/sodium bicarbonate packet mostly or add Xylitol/Alklol to it?

I use to have a Hydro-Pulse but eventually went back to the NeilMed squeeze bottle.

It seems the Gua-Aid is the cleanest/purest guaifenesin that I can purchase ... pricey, but I prefer something that has no dyes in it.

My wife and I Thank You for all your detailed and sacrificial help ... it's not quick typing such in-depth posts such as the ones you kindly do. :-)

Hopefully, I'll sleep better tonight and will be able to sing tomorrow in church.

All the best,
John

shell-belle

Postby shell-belle » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:32 pm

Jeanna

You are so welcome. Glad i could help. I want to avoid any more sinus infections. I think getting them repeatedly causes scar tissue to form and makes you even more prone to them. Do you wash your nose daily as a cold preventative? Once I bean daily nose washing I stopped getting 2-3 colds every year. Since 1995 I have had only 3 colds. One in 1998 & 2 in 1999.

Jenna wrote:Shelly and John,

Thank you both SO much for this conversation! I have terrible sinus issues. I only usually get sick once or twice a year (despite being a mother of 3 little boys and a college professor who runs into lots of germs), but when I do, it is immediately a sinus infection.

I add a couple of drops of baby shampoo to my sinus rinse (I love the Neilmed squeeze bottle, too), and that has helped a lot, but I will look for Alkalol and betadine to have on hand the next time this happens because I really can't afford a sinus infection at this point.

Thanks!
Jenna
shell-belle

Postby Jenna » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Shelley,

Thanks for the input! Interesting about the Karo syrup. I will give that a try. I wash my nose daily only when my family gets sick. Your testimonial is awesome, though. No colds in 14 years?!? I may just have to give it a try.

Thanks!
Jenna
Jenna

Postby shell-belle » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:10 pm

Jenna

You are welcome and yes give the Kayro syrup a try. It's very soothing. I have had 3 colds since 1995. The last one was 14 years ago - in 1999. I began daily nose washing in March of 1995. I taught elementary school until 2003. I would get 2-3 colds every winter prior to 1995. the neti pot rinses do protect us from run-of-the-mill colds.

Research has proven that salt water nasal rinses prevent colds.

we all should be doing preventative nasal cleansing
during the winter cold season months.

read this:

Salt Water Nasal Rinse May Prevent Colds

Nasal irrigation treatment was ``effective'' in reducing overall incidence of colds among practitioners, according to Dr. Richard Ravizza of Pennsylvania State University in University Park, Pennsylvania. Dr Ravizza presented the findings recently at the 50th Scientific Assembly of the American Academy of Family Physicians, held in San Francisco.

Ravizza told conference attendees that nasal irrigation has been a part of yoga health-oriented ``cleaning rituals'' for centuries. In their study, Dr Ravizza and Penn State colleague Dr. John Fornadley divided 294 college students into one of three subgroups. One subgroup performed daily nasal irrigation, one took a daily placebo pill, and the third group was left untreated. All participants were asked to keep a ``cold symptoms diary.''

The authors found that students who used the daily saline rinse experienced a significant reduction in the number of colds contracted compared with non-users. On average, those engaging in nasal irrigation had fewer colds over the study period, the authors say, compared with the placebo or untreated groups.

Dr Ravizza said that no one is quite sure how nasal irrigation might work to protect the nose against viral infection. ``At a physical level, just cleaning it out, irrigating it, is probably helpful,'' he said. ``At a molecular level, at a cellular level, I have no idea.''

Of course, forcing water up one's nose is not for everyone. But Dr Ravizza noted that, after an initial week-long adjustment period, ``50% of the subjects who formed the nasal irrigation group characterized (the procedure) as pleasant. Many said it was soothing, others said it was comforting.'' Of the remainder, 21% said they had ``neutral'' feelings regarding the procedure.

Dr Ravizza said that most people who perform nasal irrigation require proper training. ``The key thing is to have good instruction,'' he said. He suggested that those interested in trying out the technique contact a local yoga center.
shell-belle

Postby working at it » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:03 pm

If I knew how to delete my last post about the product not arriving from MedVitamins, would do that. It just arrived 27 days after placing it, and 24 days after it was apparently shipped. Should have arrived almost 3 weeks ago. There was no way to get in touch with the company, so had given up on receiving the Guaifenesin. Looking forward to trying this and see if it solves my issues.
working at it

Return to The Lounge