Lupus/elimination diet--a few questions

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Lupus/elimination diet--a few questions

Postby Jenna » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:18 am

After many appointments and a zillion blood tests, my rheumatologist said that she believes I have lupus, but nothing that is going on right now is serious enough to treat. She wants me to take naproxen (an NSAID) twice a day for joint pain. I have really classic symptoms of lupus: joint pain, malar rash, fatigue, Reynaud's syndrome, and positive ANA. I am happy that none of my internal organs are being affected, and I am happy to avoid risky treatments, but I have some questions for all you smart people.

1. I have been McDougalling for 6.5 months after being paleo-ish for a few years, and I only developed symptoms of lupus after beginning the McDougall WOE. Is it possible my lupus is "flaring" because my system is clearing out some toxins?

2. I am also 8 months postpartum. I know that autoimmune things really flare up postpartum, especially for me. I have 3 kids, and each time I have had a 6-9 month old, I have been diagnosed with a new autoimmune disease (celiac and Grave's were the others). I want to do an elimination diet, but should I wait until my postpartum hormones settle down a bit?

3. I am also breastfeeding my baby. Could breastfeeding hormones be contributing to this "flare"?

4. I have tried the beginning of an elimination diet for 2 weeks, but it did not relieve my symptoms. Do I need to eliminate further? Or wait longer? Or should I just revisit the elimination diet when my postpartum and breastfeeding hormones have settled down a bit?
Last edited by Jenna on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenna

Re: Lupus/elimination diet--a few questions

Postby jamietwo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi Jenna - you ask tough questions! I wish I knew the answers, but I can only share my experience.

I was diagnosed with Lupus when I was pregnant (14 years ago) - no problems at all before. I was eating SAD at the time, but switched to fully plant based before my breastfed baby was big enough to eat table food. My blood work (crazy high ANA) was the big issue - my symptoms were mild (although I'm experiencing a big flare now) and I've never medicated for it.

What I discovered in doing the elimination diet, is that sweet potatoes are one of my trigger foods! That made it tough, because it was one of my staples. I was able to eat this way for several years with no issues, then gradually over the last four years, I've found more and more trigger foods.

Good luck to you as you figure it all out.
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby Jenna » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:43 pm

Jamie,

Thanks for your response.

Interesting about the sweet potatoes for you. That really makes me wonder what I would have to start out with in order to do an elimination diet that would work.

How long does it take you for you to notice a difference when you eliminate your trigger foods? I have a hard time knowing if I am eliminating the right things or if I just haven't waited long enough.

Have you found sun exposure to be a problem. I am outside a fair amount and I am wondering if that is part of my problem.
Jenna

Postby Lee Mack » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi Jenna,
I'm not a doctor, but I have read enough to believe that what you should do is to begin your healthy eating immediately, and that it should be a complete and permanent lifestyle change.
Lee

Jenna wrote:After many appointments and a zillion blood tests, my rheumatologist said that she believes I have lupus, but nothing that is going on right now is serious enough to treat. She wants me to take (an NSAID) twice a day for joint pain. I have really classic symptoms of lupus: joint pain, malar rash, fatigue, Reynaud's syndrome, and positive ANA. I am happy that none of my internal organs are being affected, and I am happy to avoid risky treatments, but I have some questions for all you smart people.

1. I have been McDougalling for 6.5 months after being paleo-ish for a few years, and I only developed symptoms of lupus after beginning the McDougall WOE. Is it possible my lupus is "flaring" because my system is clearing out some toxins?

2. I am also 8 months postpartum. I know that autoimmune things really flare up postpartum, especially for me. I have 3 kids, and each time I have had a 6-9 month old, I have been diagnosed with a new autoimmune disease (celiac and Grave's were the others). I want to do an elimination diet, but should I wait until my postpartum hormones settle down a bit?

3. I am also breastfeeding my baby. Could breastfeeding hormones be contributing to this "flare"?

4. I have tried the beginning of an elimination diet for 2 weeks, but it did not relieve my symptoms. Do I need to eliminate further? Or wait longer? Or should I just revisit the elimination diet when my postpartum and breastfeeding hormones have settled down a bit?
Lee Mack

Postby Jenna » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:25 pm

Lee,

Thanks for your response. Like I said, I have been McDougalling for 6.5 months now. It has not helped. In fact, some of my symptoms have appeared since I started the McDougall WOE. My questions are about possibly doing a McDougall-style elimination diet. I am already following McDougall healthy eating 100%.

I have tried the first stage of the McDougall elimination diet for a few weeks, but my symptoms did not improve, so I am just not sure where to start. Do you have experience with the elimination diet?

Thanks!
Jenna
Jenna

Postby oregonmom » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Jenna, I have had lupus for 30 years now. Hormones, sun exposure, lack of sleep, and stress have been my biggest triggers. I've been very ill and just being vegetarian helped me. This woe has helped me feel better in general with more energy and less pain. Are you taking care of the other areas of your life?
oregonmom

Postby Jenna » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:38 pm

Oregonmom,

Thanks for responding! I wish I could say that the other areas of my life are awesome, but unfortunately that's not true. I have just started a job as a university professor (stress and lack of sleep), I have 3 kids including a teething baby (stress and lack of sleep), I am nursing and pumping for my baby (hormones). Also, I am just recently aware of the connection to sun exposure. I am photosensitive, so I naturally try to avoid a lot of direct sunlight, but I could be more careful than I am.

Any other tips?
Thanks!
Jenna
Jenna

Postby oregonmom » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:02 pm

You have to learn to delegate. Let others do for you what you don't have to do yourself. Since you're working, pumping and all the other duties at home, make sure you're getting help. If you can, hire someone to do things for you at home like cooking and cleaning and try to divide childcare so that you're getting enough rest. Rest is of paramount importance.
I've been a solo parent for a while now and work full time. I've had to come to terms with the fact my house might be messy if I'm too get any rest. My son is older and he's starting to pick up some slack.
oregonmom

Postby Lee Mack » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi Jenna, Sorry to hear that you're still struggling after trying several experiments. I must admit that I am also struggling, in spite of 50+ years of dietary experiments. I am trying to arrest and reverse several obesity-related, chronic, degenerative diseases, and I'm not making too much progress, to tell you the truth.

I believe Edison said that when one experiment failed he did not see it as a failure because it told him what does not work! Einstein said that trying the same experiment over and over and expecting a different result than the result you got is insanity!

Perhaps you might want to try reading Fasting and Eating for Health, by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. He claims success with several different types of auto-immune diseases. His website is at Dr.Fuhrman.com.

Is lupus a form of cancer? I've heard that Dr. Gerson has some success with treating cancer through diet. I don't know the web site. I used to have it but I don't now. Please try googling "Dr. Gerson."

And of course keep trying the elimination diet that you've started. And keep me posted.
Lee
Frankly, I'm preparing for a water fast. I believe my problem is that I cannot stick to anything 100%! I have to cheat every 10 or 14 days--and that is clearly what causes my failure...so I keep trying, concentrating more and more as time goes on.

Keep up the good work!
Lee

Jenna wrote:Lee,

Thanks for your response. Like I said, I have been McDougalling for 6.5 months now. It has not helped. In fact, some of my symptoms have appeared since I started the McDougall WOE. My questions are about possibly doing a McDougall-style elimination diet. I am already following McDougall healthy eating 100%.

I have tried the first stage of the McDougall elimination diet for a few weeks, but my symptoms did not improve, so I am just not sure where to start. Do you have experience with the elimination diet?

Thanks!
Jenna
Lee Mack

Postby jamietwo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:40 am

Jenna wrote:How long does it take you for you to notice a difference when you eliminate your trigger foods?

My first two weeks on the ED, I didn't see any improvement, and I gave up. The next time I tried it without sweet potatoes, and I started having success. My problem is that every food I test seems to be problematic, so I have a very limited number of foods that I can eat.

Jenna wrote:Have you found sun exposure to be a problem

I don't notice a problem with sun. In fact, I make an effort to get 30 minutes of sun during the hot part of the day for vitamin D.
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby oregonmom » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:48 am

That's the thing about lupus. No two people will have the same experience. My dad, my sister, and me all have it and we've all had different issues with it. We were all in different stages of our lives when it affected us-my dad was late 20s, I was 12, and my sister was in her 30s. None of us has had the same experience. You gotta find what works best for you. But if you're not feeling well, you have to take care of yourself. Being well rested, having lower stress, eating healthy, and exercise has worked wonders for me, but you really do need all areas balanced.
oregonmom

Postby Jenna » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:09 pm

Lee,

Lupus is an autoimmune disease, not cancer. I do know something about Gerson therapy, but I don't think that is the way to go for me at this point. Fasting sounds good to me, too, because it seems like a way to do a lot of good really quickly, however it is definitely not the right time in my life to undertake a fast, so I will have to figure out some things that work for now.

Oregonmom,

Thanks for your advice! I really appreciate it. I do need to get better at doing less, but that is a work in progress. Our whole lives are changing a lot right now, so I have to take some time to figure out how to make things easier on me.

It is really helpful to know that everyone has a different experience of lupus--good to know that no one thing works for everyone.

Jamie,

Interesting that sun exposure doesn't bother you. I am guessing that photosensitivity is not one of your symptoms. I am photosensitive, and I am learning the hard way that sun exposure definitely makes me feel worse. Now if only I could figure out my food triggers.
Jenna

Postby Lee Mack » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:32 pm

I'm fasting. If you want to watch me, come to "Prayer and Fasting."
Lee

Jenna wrote:Lee,

Lupus is an autoimmune disease, not cancer. I do know something about Gerson therapy, but I don't think that is the way to go for me at this point. Fasting sounds good to me, too, because it seems like a way to do a lot of good really quickly, however it is definitely not the right time in my life to undertake a fast, so I will have to figure out some things that work for now.

Oregonmom,

Thanks for your advice! I really appreciate it. I do need to get better at doing less, but that is a work in progress. Our whole lives are changing a lot right now, so I have to take some time to figure out how to make things easier on me.

It is really helpful to know that everyone has a different experience of lupus--good to know that no one thing works for everyone.

Jamie,

Interesting that sun exposure doesn't bother you. I am guessing that photosensitivity is not one of your symptoms. I am photosensitive, and I am learning the hard way that sun exposure definitely makes me feel worse. Now if only I could figure out my food triggers.
Lee Mack

Postby organicpaul21 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:35 am

Hi, just a thought if its not working, give it up, instead of fasting you may be weakening yourself so it it may be prudent to start adding stuff and stop taking it away. I found this out to my cost, that with a weakened body with RA it just didnt work and made me worse.

best wishes

Paul
organicpaul21

Postby Jenna » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:40 am

I am having a really bad day today. SIBO used to keep my diet very limited. Now the SIBO is gone (YAY!!!) but I am getting way too adventurous with foods. This weekend, I ate all kinds of things I couldn't eat before and I feel horrible. I suspect it is either corn or GF oats, since I ate quite a lot of both over the weekend.

I really need to an elimination diet. My LO is soon to be 9 months old, and I think at that point, I am going to try to cut way back on nursing and supplement with frozen milk. I won't stop nursing entirely, but I have 800+ oz in the freezer, so I think I can safely cut back on nursing enough to start an elimination diet.

I think my best starches are brown rice and white potatoes. I want to start my ED with just one starch. I am torn as to which one to start with because I know many people with AI issues do better grain free and many people with AI issues do better nightshade free.
Jenna

Next

Return to Health Issues