New with RA

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

New with RA

Postby maraschino » Sun May 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Just found this site two days ago and am excited to start this WOE. I have RA, fibromyalgia, and Sjogren's. Am on several RA meds as well as antibiotics (for most of past two years and straight since October) and infectious diseases expert and surgeon want me on them until this October at least. Had breast cancer, mastectomies three years ago; reconstruction two years ago - many problems and hospitalizations due to infections (from immune system as well as Enbrel, which I no longer take). I'm open to advice as to where and how to start in order to change my health and my life.
maraschino

Re: New with RA

Postby JuicerJohn » Sun May 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Hi maraschino,

Welcome! I am so glad that you found us. If you are interested in improving your health, both short and long term then you have definitely come to the right place.

As for where and how to start, here is a good place, be sure to read all of the pages, just click "Next" at the bottom of each page:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html

I doubt you'll find a friendlier or more helpful bunch of folks on the internet, so please do not hesitate to ask whatever questions you may have. Everyone here wants others to get off to a good start and remain successful in the long run.

So again, welcome!

John
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Postby Burgess » Sun May 05, 2013 7:25 pm

Go to http://www.drmcdougall.com/star.html and on that page click on "Read Written Stories," "Pick One" for accounts of success against arthritis.
Burgess Laughlin, Star McDougaller
My books: http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com
My health weblog: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com
Burgess

Postby maraschino » Thu May 09, 2013 6:07 pm

So...hard to know if this is the prednisone shot I got over a week ago or the eating...but, I am off oral prednisone and naproxen (still on DMARD'S) and am feeling very well and actually mowed the lawn twice this week! Pain is gone and I have more energy and am sleeping well. I'll continue this WOE and time will tell.
maraschino

Postby JuicerJohn » Thu May 09, 2013 9:24 pm

WOW! That's great progress maraschino! Keep up the good work!
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Postby soul food » Mon May 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Gosh Maraschino, sounds like you've been through hell! I'm glad you found this way of eating. It will help.

welcome aboard

soul food
soul food

Postby maraschino » Tue May 14, 2013 4:21 pm

I'm not trying to be skeptical...it just seems too easy. But, it truly is incredible how well I am feeling and I have no pain or swelling or stiffness = not dropping/breaking things; able to do buttons, tie shoes, carry things, type, etc., etc., etc. Remarkable. I'll stick with it and see what happens. Thanks for the encouragement.
maraschino

Postby nicoles » Tue May 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi Maraschino!

So glad you found this dietary approach! It is quite possible that you are responding this well - some who have RA do fell better very quickly!

I have psoriatic arthritis and although I did not get better overnight, I did fell LOADS better very fast and have continued to improve for the last 3 years.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Morgana66 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:35 am

Hello,

While I was in nursing school I had a classmate describe to me her mother's symptoms of RA and how much pain she suffered daily. I happened to have a copy of one of Dr. McDougall's books and although I wasn't following the diet at the time I thought his philosophies made sense. I passed the book on to my classmate and she gave it to her mother. Within a few days her mother's symptoms abated and she became pain-free for the first time in several years. The last I heard her mother was thrilled with the immediate results. I haven't been in touch with my classmate in a while and I am not certain if her mother still adheres to the diet but to reassure your skepticism, apparently it DOES happen that quickly.

Good luck and I hope you continue to heal!
Morgana66

Postby maraschino » Thu May 16, 2013 5:28 pm

Thank you. It's as though I can again experience life as it was pre-RA. I no longer have to fight to push through the pain. I no longer have to move, walk, get up from a chair, open a door, pick up a pen while pretending it doesn't hurt to do so. I am feeling more energetic and no longer struggling through a cloud of fatigue. The stress of the pain does not show on my face and my countenance is dramatically different. Let's see if it continues. :-D
maraschino

Return to How to Begin