Fulenn's MS page New: before/after pics on page 15

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Fulenn's MS page New: before/after pics on page 15

Postby nicoles » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:39 pm

Wow, Fulenn, that is so great, the conversation you had in the supermarket! Very exciting. I totally agree with Jim - this kind of grass-roots, word-of-mouth, witnessed health transformations is what get the word out.

Plus is just must feel so darn good to help out!

xoxo

Nicole

p.s. - Moonwatcher, I can't wait to hear about Tuesday, too
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby carollynne » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:54 am

HI I just wanted to say how wonderful it is to be able to help people everywhere, and the grassroots concept is working here too.
Loved those pictures of food. We loved greens and cornbread here too. And the cast iron skillets. So wonderful to use!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby fulenn » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:20 pm

DH is finished with training at his new job and is back home now! We went out for dinner to celebrate: veggie sushi and steamed tofu & veggies with steamed rice. The restaurant included an egg roll that I didn't know was coming until they plopped it down in front of me; I picked it up thinking I would just have a nibble....then I looked at my fingers--shiny with oil. DH saw my face and said, "Oil?" LOL Needless to say, I didn't eat it, but in the past it would have been the beginning of the end for the meal. I didn't miss it, either. Not eating it and not missing it probably don't seem like big deals, but for me it is huge. I have had a hard time shaking that I want to just taste things that aren't good for me. I am so motivated by taste, but I am letting those memories go now. I keep thinking about losing the taste for certain foods, and I certainly have lost a lot of them, but I think in my case I am trying to lose the memory of enjoying them. I have now tasted enough bites of things to know that the memories just do not match up with the experience I have now. That's good!

I'll do the menu tomorrow. I do know that I will be fixing potato enchiladas with tomatillo sauce tomorrow night--the sauce is so good that I would almost eat it on cardboard. I'll try to get the recipe up here--it is super easy.

MS still doing well, though I went walking with my colleagues after work on Wednesday and tired quite fast. I think it is the heat. DH and I usually walk late at night when it is cooler. I'll just watch it and see how it goes.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby f1jim » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:37 pm

And that is the transformation we all have to make. That is the mindset that will deliver us from the trap of unhealthy food. You have the concept and are wrapping the concept around yourself in a most helpful and transformative way. You have done it enough to understand what process is at work here.
Congrats on such positive steps forward.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby fulenn » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:08 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Jim. I hope that sharing will make a difference for someone.

This is a busy, busy week for me; I am already halfway through the week and haven't posted my menu. Here is what we are eating this week:

--spaghetti
--potato wedges
--burritos
--potato enchiladas with tomatillo sauce
--tomato-orzo soup
--french onion soup
--sloppy joes
--veggie pizza sans cheeze

We are on Wednesday, only have 2 days left on the menu, and still have five menu items that we have not fixed. Oh well.

The MS symptoms are staying away--so glad about that! I am wondering if the partial numbness in my left hand might be permanent. I hope not, but time will tell.

Fulenn

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:33 pm

I was laughing as I read through the "What are you fixing for the Superbowl" thread in the Lounge because we don't watch football, but we ARE celebrating Groundhog Day tonight. :shock: :shock:

Actually, it is the 8th anniversary of the closing on our house and the family gets together every Feb. 2nd and celebrates. Tonight we will be fixing angel food cake with fresh strawberries, grilled tofu steaks, stuffed mushrooms, kale salad, boiled potatoes with parsley and cracked pepper, and sparkling apple juice instead of champagne (children are still under 21). Should be fun!

I sort of have a menu for next week:

--burritos
--pad Thai
--spaghetti
--pizza
--tomato-orzo soup
--I need something else here....

I've been pretty tired this week, but it has been a very busy week. I also think I might be on the verge of menopause. Whoo hoo! I hope so--"that" time of month has been my least favorite thing since I first experienced it. About time for it to end. The nice thing about eating this way is that the past several years since I only switched about half of my food to this lifestyle, I have had easy cycles. The times when they were heavy was when my meat intake increased. In fact, it seems that the more I would eat meat, the worse they would be in terms of flow and length.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby Anna Green » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:00 pm

I'll be there in a bit. Yum!
Anna Green

Postby fulenn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:06 pm

Anna Green wrote:I'll be there in a bit. Yum!

Hey, Anna! You know you are welcome anytime. :-D

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby nicoles » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:43 pm

Hey Fulenn,

Congratulations on the 8th anniversary of owning your house! The menu sounds wonderful.

If you are still looking for something yummy, this FOK/Engine 2 Sweet Potato Lasagna is my DH's favorite fallback plan.

Hope you get your energy back this coming week. I know for me, even here in sunny warm LA, February is when I start to wane. (I wonder if vitamin D has anything to do with that? It is pretty sunny here, but not so warm as to wear shorts and a T like most months, so I feel like maybe I don't make as much D from November to about mid-February.)

:lol: I know what you mean about that time of the month. Not my fave time, either, but a lot easier on this WOE. :lol:

Very interesting about the cycles being heavier with meat. You know, Herbert Shelton, the guy who was the founder of the Natural Hygiene Society (or whatever it was called) thought that it was normal for women to not bleed at all, or barely at all, and that heavy flows were a sign of "toxicosis" as he put it. I have no idea if he was right, wrong, crazy or sane, but it's interesting!

Have a great week!

Nicole
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby fulenn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi Nicole! I love that recipe and make it every 3-4 months. It is time-consuming, at least the way I measure and use time it is, but tastes great.

I hadn't heard that about no to little bleeding. Wouldn't that just be great?

I feel good today after getting a lot of sleep the past two days.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:52 pm

It has been BUSY around here this past week. The baby is on the verge of walking and now loves her rice cereal with peaches mixed in. Sounds good to me!

I am doing well MS-wise. But I ate a Snickers bar this week. Very unusual for me, at least in the past year. I did not react physically to it, but it did not taste really good to me like it used to. I ate jasmine rice with some peanut butter powder sprinkled on it the next day and found that that was more satisfying to me than the candy bar.

Here is this weeks menu:

--potato adobo
--stuffed shells
--rice-cilantro street tacos
--some kind of soup
--mashed potatoes with gravy and broccoli
--paninis with hummus, cilantro, lemon slices, and tomato slices
--breakfasts: oatmeal, baked plantains, fruit, toast
--lunches: leftovers, wrap, or sandwiches, fruit or cold veggies

I quit tracking my weight loss back in June and am VERY slowly losing weight. I still eat very large amounts of food, but the quality and content of my food has vastly improved. I am only down about 10 pounds in 6 months, but I am okay with that. My MS symptoms are almost all gone, at least as far as I can tell. The only remaining thing has been the numbness in my left hand.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:02 pm

HI fulenn!!

It looks like I inadvertently missed some updates--I am an absentminded professor sitting here wondering where you are, but you are right here and it's ME who's missed the posts!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, good to catch up. I am wondering, though, who is the baby???

And so glad you are doing well, and slowly losing, all of it.

My son had his music video released this week. I think your kids might like it. Heck, you and your DH might like it. I am going to post a link in my journal here in a bit. But first, gotta take Romeo for a walk before dark.

xoxox

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi, moonwatcher!

The baby is a 10-month old who belongs to one of my daughter's friends. She and her daughter needed a place to stay until graduation in June, so, she moved in a couple of weeks ago. We are busy child-proofing the house and chasing after a little girl who is just days from walking. Wow! I forgot how much energy those little ones have.

Can't wait to see your son's music video--walk faster, Romeo! :D

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby eri » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:38 pm

Oh I thought I was the only one! I'm like, baby? What baby?!! :lol: Good to hear from you even if I am totally confused!

Fulenn, are you using PB2? How do you like it? How does the texture compare to the real thing? I may order some...I am using pb too often for my liking. I know Jeff thinks it's too processed, but if it will keep me on plan I have to try it.
eri

Postby moonwatcher » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:58 pm

Hi fulenn--thanks for solving the baby mystery!! And eri, glad I am not the only one!! :lol: :lol: She sounds cute, but oh my goodness they keep you busy at that age!! Still, sounds very nice that your family could give them a family to be with. Bless you.

video link is up. :) I am a proud Mamma Bear. :)

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals