Sick/Prescription question

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Sick/Prescription question

Postby johnled » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:57 pm

I have been 100% healthy for the past 5 year, been vegan for 7. I've not had any kind of drugs, prescription or OTC, none!

Well now I'm sick, I think I have a sinus infection. A lot of nose blowing, running, pressure headache behind eyes, little bit of a sore throat and coughing, little fever comes and goes.

I may have to break down and go to the Dr if I'm no better tomorrow, I know she will give me a prescription or two. What should I tell her, if anything? Will a standard dose of an antibiotic be too much for me since I'm pretty clean on the inside. I really do not want to take any drugs.

Thanks!!
johnled

Re: Sick/Prescription question

Postby Maer » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:38 pm

eating very lightly, drinking plenty of fluids, and rest, may well clear this up with no medicines. If you follow your appetite, you will likely realize you don't want to eat much of anything now, anyway.

For me, fasting at the onset of a cold works wonders.

hope you feel better soon,
Maer
Maer

Postby nicoles » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:51 pm

I second Maer's advice.

I have cleared up a few things by drinking only water or broth, and maybe having some raw salad or fruit.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Waingapu » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:06 pm

johnled wrote:I have been 100% healthy for the past 5 year, been vegan for 7.
Well now I'm sick, I think I have a sinus infection. A lot of nose blowing, running, pressure headache behind eyes, little bit of a sore throat and coughing, little fever comes and goes.

I may have to break down and go to the Dr if I'm no better tomorrow,

I really do not want to take any drugs.

You didn't mention how long you've had these symptoms.

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/ ... onsillitis

Antibiotics will not clear up a virus. Thus would not be given...or should not be given for such. However as you read, it could be caused by bacteria. So far, your symptoms sound fairly standard.
Waingapu

Postby Debbie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:52 pm

johnled wrote:I have been 100% healthy for the past 5 year, been vegan for 7. I've not had any kind of drugs, prescription or OTC, none!

I may have to break down and go to the Dr if I'm no better tomorrow, I know she will give me a prescription or two. What should I tell her, if anything? Will a standard dose of an antibiotic be too much for me since I'm pretty clean on the inside. I really do not want to take any drugs.

Thanks!!

That doesn't sound like a sinus infection. Sounds like a standard cold with extra sinus pressure. One of the features with a sinus infection is the upper teeth hurting, right under the cheek bones. Depending on how long you've been sick, I'd give it a little more time. Bad colds can last two weeks with some symptoms lasting a little longer.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby johnled » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:49 am

I started feeling a little off Saturday, Sunday a slight headache, sneezing and runny nose, Monday full blown sickly. As of right now I do feel a little better than I did yesterday, slept better and not near as much nose blowing overnight. I'll hold off and see what happens. I don't want to pollute my body with drugs if it can be avoided.

Thanks!!
johnled

Postby shell-belle » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:39 pm

Do you have a Neilmeds Neti pot or a squeeze bottle or a Nasopure sinus wash bottle-?

Nose washing will help people with colds or sinus problems SO much.
Nosewashing also prevents colds. I have not missed a day of washing my nose at least once since 1995. I have had only 3 colds since 1995.
Nose washing prevents sinus infections-! And can help you recover from them faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zYLvSMAprg

Anyone can benefit from nose washing especially...

Children two and above
Anyone with a cold or flu
Anyone with allergy and sinus conditions
Asthma sufferers
Firefighters, construction workers, farmers, military, anyone exposed to environmental pollution and irritants
Travelers
Seniors
Women with pregnancy rhinitis
Athletes, performers and singers
Patients - use prior to treatments with nasal steroids for better absorption
People with altered nasal anatomy from birth or trauma or surgery

is everything coming out clear when you rinse your nose?

if you have yellowish mucus still coming out that's ok -- it means your body is fighting the virus still but if you have green mucus or bloody mucus you may have sinus infection.

I always ended up having to see a doctor and go on antibiotics if the green mucus lasted more than a day or two.

But I was able to defeat a couple of sinus infections by washing my nose several times a day with warm salt water to which I added a teaspoon of Betadine.

Betadine (and its generic equivalents) is an iodine-based antiseptic used primarily on superficial skin wounds. You can buy it in the first aid section of any drugstore.
Both my ENTdoctors recommended it to me after my sinus surgeries help kill off the pathogens that cause sinus infections.
And both docs told me if I ever got a cold and had yellow mucus to begin adding Betadine to the warm salt nosewashing water.
about a teaspoon to a net pot full of warm salt water..

Yes, I have used Betadine in warm salt water to wash my nose using a neti pot several times in a day to clear up sinus infections.
Do 4-5 nasal rinses using Betadine each day for 2-3 days when fighting a sinus infection.
shell-belle

Postby scooterpie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:09 pm

scooterpie

Postby johnled » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Thank you very much for the detailed information, it is very much appreciated!!

My nose has slowed down quite a bit compared to yesterday but what comes out is either watery and clear or if I have to blow it then it is yellowish.

I do have a net pot but never got in the habit of using it. I will dig it out and try it, I'll have to use salt only today as I do not have the Betadine.

Thanks again!!
johnled

Postby AnnaSpanna » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:05 pm

Doctors may prescribe antibiotics for sinus if it doesn't clear up.
(Been there, done that. Now they're trying me on other stuff)
If after you've given it a chance and it's still there don't forget to take probiotics to counter the antis.

There are some great high dosage acidophilus capsules available.
They will do a far better job replenishing the goodies that get killed off than just using yogurt or those Yakult drinks.
AnnaSpanna

Postby shell-belle » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:57 pm

johnled wrote:Thank you very much for the detailed information, it is very much appreciated!!

My nose has slowed down quite a bit compared to yesterday but what comes out is either watery and clear or if I have to blow it then it is yellowish.

I do have a net pot but never got in the habit of using it. I will dig it out and try it, I'll have to use salt only today as I do not have the Betadine.

Thanks again!!

you are welcome. let me know how it goes. if you wash your nose with warm salt water 3-5 times a day you can head off a sinus infection and thus avoid antibiotics. i always hated having to take anitbiotics. they made me weak and tired and upset my stomach. don't be afraid to try the Betadine or the generic equivalent in your warm salt nose washing water. get some tomorrow! Betadine or the generic is a good thing to buy and have on hand. the generic is cheaper-cvs sells its house brand of Betadine which is the same thing - just look for povidone-Iodine, which is a broad-spectrum microbicide. a brownish looking liquid in a bottle in the first aid section. it was first sold in 1955, and has since become the universally preferred iodine antiseptic. another use for it is this: you can dilute it and use it to wash cuts and scrapes. i can not say enough good things about salt water nasal rinsing. it will help you so much. you will do yourself a world of good. best wishes.
shell-belle

Postby johnled » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:04 pm

Just tried the neti pot and could barley get anything to go through, one side is much more clogged up than the other. I'll try again before bed and again tomorrow. I will look for the Betadine.
johnled

Postby Debbie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:56 pm

Youve only been sick since Saturday. It does take a while longer than 4-5 days to develop a sinus infection.

Heck I had a bad cold, some tried calling it the flu, about 2 weeks ago and I still have some congestion and exess snot!!

Trust me, if you have a sinus infection you will know. It is painful. Your upper teeth/gums/cheek bones ache, a deep ache among other symptoms. Give your body a chance to move everything out.

I actually thought youd come back here and say you have had this for over a month, not less than a week. ;-)
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby shell-belle » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:26 am

johnled wrote:Just tried the neti pot and could barley get anything to go through, one side is much more clogged up than the other. I'll try again before bed and again tomorrow. I will look for the Betadine.

I know what you mean and I was afraid this would be the case.
this guy--on this youtube-- says if you are so clogged that the neti pot water doesn't seem to flow thru
your nose then you can do what he suggests:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx6b-2Mh ... re=related

OR instead of that, you can get some AFRIN nasal spray from cvs or wallgreens.
[ i buy the generic as it's cheaper-as long as it has oxymetazoline ]
the active ingredient in Afrin nasal spray, oxymetazoline, works by constricting, or shrinking, the blood vessels
in the nose, and thereby reducing nasal blood flow.

lie down. spray the AFRIN- or the generic- in both your nostrils as you lie down. remain lying down for 10 min.
then your nose will be "open".
NOW you go fill the neti pot or squeeze bottle with warm salted water and rinse your nose. repeat at least 2 times more within 10 hours.

AFRIN works to keep your nose open for 12 hours so you can benefit
from several nose washings in a 10-12 hour time span.
my allergist told me you can use AFRIN once a day for 10 days.
as long as you are rinsing your nose. but do not use AFRIN
for longer than 10 days at a time. as it can become addicting.

this is what I used to do to recover from the 3 colds i have had in the last 17 years. i used the afrin at 7 a.m.
and washed my nose like 4-5 times before 7 p.m. every single day!
i got excellent cleansings during the 12 hours while my nose was "open" from the AFRIN.

but do not use the AFRIN for more than 10 consecutive days.
you can get addicted to it but even my allergy doctor & my ent doctor said it's ok to use
it for 5-10 days to get over a cold or severe congestion due to allergies. it really opens up the nose so you can
get the warm salt water IN there to rinse everything OUT.

very important in sinus health is adequate hydration. drinking warm tea is effective.

hot compresses to the nose and sinus areas helps blood flow which helps increase cilia movement.

like Debbie says you may not have a sinus infection-yet-but you want the mucus to be able to flow freely. what causes a sinus infection is, your nasal mucosa swells up inside and prevents the mucus from draining - it then stagnates. so the salt water rinsing will help you enormously from developing a sinus infection. almost every single time i got a cold it would "evolve" into a sinus infection. once i learned how to do salt water nose washing, that was no longer the case. plus you feel so much better getting the mucus OUT.

Here is something my ENT said to me - he sat me down and said : "I'm going to give you the keys to the kingdom: Control the mucus. Mucus is caustic and it creates inflammation if it lingers in your system".

good luck and keep us posted.
shell-belle

Postby scooterpie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:18 am

shell-belle wrote:as it can become addicting.
Small correction.

You can become dependent on Afrin with long-term use. It can also affect your sense of smell, but apparently if that happens it's restored fairly quickly.
scooterpie

Next

Return to Health Issues