Bunso Is Back

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Bunso Is Back

Postby mtns » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:21 pm

Actually according to my personal training certification book that I read, the whole 60-70% fat burning zone is off. Yes you can burn fat staying in that zone, but you can burn just as much fat in a shorter amount of time by doing the higher heart rate zone. They also say it is good to do both. I really like doing interval training where you boost your heart rate up and then bring it back down and then repeat. It is great for burning fat and those wonderful endorphins kick in as well. I love those endorphines. I have had to change my workout a little since my sciatic nerve pain, but I do a circuit arm workout( which gets my heart rate up) and then I walk on the treadmill. I do that 3 days a week. Then I do lap swimming 3 days a week, which really gets me to huffing and puffing. I never realized what a great workout lap swimming is.
I am glad you are liking your workouts.
Kathy
mtns

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi kathy'

I wondered if you had some good info about this. I remember reading that it's very good to sorta max out your heart rate, then bring it down, and that's what I do, even though getting my heart rate above 85%, if the trainer hears it, she tells me to slow down. But Curves is sorta built for that, so I just do what I do. Go really hard on the machines, and cool down on the recovery boards. It's about a half hour workout, and I had forgotten how great it makes me feel. :)

It didn't take long for me, when I was doing Curves regularly before, for me to max out, and Curves didn't work to get my heart rate up anymore. I hope using this system will push me. It's supposed to, so that's what I'm looking for, and I'm just not gonna worry about the heart rate. If it's 85%, it's 85%, and that's GOOD.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby mtns » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:13 pm

Sounds like a great workout. I did forget, though if it has been a while since you worked out it may be good to stay in the lower range for a little while. But if you have been working out a couple of weeks, which I think you have it would be okay to do the intervals.
Kathy
mtns

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:33 pm

Thai Comfort Food. Yum!

My daughter and I explored a couple of Asian markets, and ended up buying ingredients for Thai curry and sticky rice, among other things. OH BABY was that ever good, but it does have coconut milk, so it was high fat. And we had a dessert with sweetened sticky rice and sweetened coconut milk (the Mango Sticky Rice recipe minus the mango)

We also had bean filled rice cakes on our way home, before cooking. OH YUMMY! and oil in the ingredients.

so...high fat day :|

The curry was absolutely scrumptious. I want to make it without the coconut milk.

Now for the Pre-menstrual greed. I have been munching non-stop for three or four days. If it isn't tied down, I am putting it in my mouth. Not kidding...a whole sleeve of Ry-krisp. Four pieces of whole wheat toast (no butter). Chocolate chips. A plate of good on plan food, followed by seconds. Then some more. Asian sweet treats BEFORE dinner.

thank goodness, I haven't had potato chips or other SAD munchies in the house. I staved off the chocolate cravings for three days but I broke down yesterday and had several handfuls of chocolate chips.

IOW, I am eating everything, and I am eating a LOT of everything, because I feel hungry (but my stomach feels full if that makes sense) and it's hormone related, and i hate it.

As for baked potatoes and sweet potatoes on hand...yup. Been eating those, too. Beans, straight out of the can. and so forth. Other than today's Thai foods, and yesterday's chocolate, my food choices have been on plan, but a LOT of it. it isn't related to physical hunger. I'm also not weepy or otherwise moody, just greedy. Wanting to eat everything. Insatiable.

and just last week, i was eating a late breakfast, one baked potato for lunch (or no lunch) and one small serving for dinner. A small snack after work. For many days in a row. I thought I'd gotten to the end of my overeating. :roll:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonwatcher » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi Buns,

Sorry to hear about the hormonal eating-everything-in-sight thing. I've been there. Not fun, even with all legal food. Hang in, this too shall pass.

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:53 am

Hi Maria

well, I think it's over now. Last night my daughter had some caramel corn, and I had a few pieces, and put it aside. Too sweet. I also ate normally as far as meals, yesterday. Three meals, and plain popcorn for a snack.

Thank goodness, really. I was literally eating myself out of house and home. Food i had cooked for a few meals, lasted maybe two, or just one.

Well...today's a new day, and I'm getting some cooking done. A huge pot of chili will do for the week's dinners, and I plan on making a Thai stir fry for lunch and dinner today. Mary's "Cheater's Pad Thai" is my inspiration, but I'm not doing Pad, because I have rice but not rice noodles, so I'll make it a stir fry over rice. I have cabbage, sugar snap peas, oyster mushrooms, enoki mushrooms, and bean sprouts. The seasonings are here, too. :nod: Looking forward to it.

Breakfast was squash, some LO stuffing from when I made stuffed acorn squash, and steamed garlic green beans.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Dechen » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:36 pm

You just can not go wrong with chili or stir fry for that matter.
You go and cook your li'l heart out.
BTW, when I have air popped corn I always eat it 'au naturale'.
https://mostlyfatfreemcdougall.wordpress.com/
Dechen

Location: Ashton-in-Makerfield, Wigan (halfway between Liverpool and Manchester) Lancashire, UK

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:51 am

yeah the chili turned out good. The whole pot sort of solidified, so i took half of it out and added water to the pot and let that cook down just a bit more (the garbanzo's never did cook super soft, so more cooking isn't going to hurt it any)

I was gonna make corn bread, but I changed my mind and will make polenta to go with it. On Friday I'm hosting the Bible study, so i think I'll provide a baked potato bar of sorts. Chili, not-cheese sauce, broccoli, and chopped onion, tofu sour cream, and possibly margarine (my daughter brought some in a week or so ago for something she was cooking) ... and salad. Maybe Whirled Peas! :D I like Whirled Peas.

and I'm sure our candy man will bring chocolate. He works at the Rocky Mtn Chocolate Factory, and has brought delectables twice. The first time, i had a piece and awoke the monster. Last time, I resisted (mostly because none of it looked that good) and probably this time I'll be okay.

Meanwhile, I have an earache that's bothering me a lot. I also am just sleepy. Haven't been able to perk myself up.

TODAY'S FOOD:
B: whole wheat cream o'wheat w/cinnamon, chopped apples, banana, and honey
L: miso soup with slivered cabbage, snap peas, and enoki mushrooms
D: chili w/polenta
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby mtns » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:29 pm

Well it looks like you are doing well. I have had problems with vegan choc. chips recently, so I understand. That is a good idea with the baked potatoes. I once did that, kind of like a baked potato bar with all the fixings. People loved it and it was easy.
Kathy
mtns

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:35 pm

Well, the earache hangs on. I'm pretty tired, too. This is the second earache I've had since starting my new job...which does involve headphones. I am a relay for hearing impaired people, so they can read their phone conversations. Anyway, I wonder if having the headphones pressing on my ear for eight hours every day contributes to something that brings it on. Earaches have not been a frequent problem for me. Once every three or four years, maybe?

TODAY'S FOOD:
B: 1 c spaghetti squash (overcooked, so it wasn't stringy but like any other winter squash) plus 1.5 c of oatmeal w/dates, apple chunks, and cinnamon
L: nuked yellow and japanese sweet potatoes w/soy sauce and garlic powder
D: chili and steamed cabbage

I'm happy to be reminded that simple is good, because with feeling under the weather, I know I can just grab a nuked tattie or two and be good for dinner.

I've been eating the chili I made on Sunday, with polenta YUM! Polenta is good stuff. I diced some red and yellow onion and stirred it in at the last minute. YUM YUMMY YUMMERSTONS! I'll finish off the chili today, with 1/4 cabbage. And some polenta :D

thank GOD, the Premenstrual Munchies are over.

Other news: we got us a baby! It's Dobby, a little gray kitten about two months old. :) She keeps our old Rosie cat company and is great entertainment for us. She's a purr machine, and loves being petted. She also loves the underside of my boxsprings...Clean bill of health at the vet, too...though Dobby did hurt her front leg and was limping for a couple of days. Probably in her box springs antics. :roll:

and now time to go to work. yay.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby RAS » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:42 pm

Is this the kitty that got lost a couple of weeks ago?To remedy the box spring caper..put a contour sheet on the bottom part to cover up an entrance.I have been doing this for years do to necessity.Enjoy your new cat.Hope the ear is better.The head phones on 8hrs.a day may not alow enough air to circulate...just my 2cents worth. RAS
RAS

Postby janluvs2heel » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:52 pm

Whoa Heidi,

I didn't know you were wearing headphones at work all day. I bet you don't even have an infection, but your ear is just sore from all that pressure all day. Sometimes during the night, I guess I lay on my ear funny & kind of bend it & I wake up with a horrible earache from it. I also sometimes get it when I talk on the phone for too long, just holding the phone on my ear I guess.

Can you get a head set? You know what I mean. They have those for people who talk on the phone all day, so they dont' have to have the phone pressed against their ears for 8 hours. If not, maybe you can pad it somehow so it doesn't put so much pressure on your ear.

Hope that it feels better soon.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby RAS » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi,I don't think a head set would work with Buns kind of work.The sound would be more distorted for the relay.RAS
RAS

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:05 pm

Oh, you mean the kind with one ear piece and a mic? No, we must have both ears engaged, in order to hear the most clearly.

I'm sure it has more to do with the headphones than anything else, but I also feel it in the throat end of my eustachian tube, which tells me it's more than just the pressure on the pinna of my ear.

at any rate, right now it doesn't hurt...nothing like last night. Hopefully it's dwindling off.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:39 pm

FOOD TODAY

B: oatmeal w/dates and apples cooked in, with a sprinkle of brown sugar AND curry on it YUM!
L: hashbrowns and steamed broccolie
D: chili and polenta

I switched my headpiece around, so the mic is on the opposite side, and the ear feels better. Food's been real good. Appetite normal. :lol:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals