New way of eating - one day at a time

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: New way of eating - one day at a time

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:34 am

I could not wait to post until later.

BS: 113

That is a new low for me!

I also did do 30 more minutes on the treadmill last night. I need to reprogram tonight.

B: 1/2c oatmeal w/banana

I have lunch plans, but often they get cancelled. I think I am going to start just eating 1/2c oatmeal in the morning. I also did not drink my water this morning, but I am at work trying to down some. It is so strange that I used to be dying of thirst and now have to force myself to drink more.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby ~Beth~ » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:35 am

113 !!!
WooHoo!

:D

Start date: Sept 25, 2012
~Beth~

Postby Chumly » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:47 am

Congratulations John!

Michael
Chumly

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Thanks Beth and Chumly.

-----

L: (out to eat) salad w/fat free dressing and baked potato guts w/fat free dressing
D: tomato soup, 2 slices homemade bread, field peas, large salad

I have tried to drink more water today. I reprogrammed my treadmill, now I start at 3 mph and end at 4 mph with lots of ups and downs. I sweated more for this hour than I did yesterday. It is almost halftime. I am not sure if I will do some more or not. It feels good to sit. I did mess around with the 20 lb dumb bells, I did three exercises with them.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby Erbse » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:36 pm

Well done!

One of the reasons I'm eating this way is to avoid diabetes. My mother had it for the last 10 years of her life. So great to see this WOE works for it.
Erbse
Erbse

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:29 pm

Erbse Count me as a believer that this WOE can cure type two diabetes. I look forward to when my doctor tells me I am cured.

------

BS: 116

D: large salad, pinto beans, yellow potatoes with steamed onions, mushrooms and California mix. Two thin slices of homemade bread.

Exercise: 1h treadmill.

I am still working on drinking more water. I did better today. Tomorrow I plan on one large glass before breakfast and dinner. Besides the water during the day.

I called to schedule blood work for next week. I can go in any day I want, I think I will go next Friday. Once the results are in, I will meet with my doctor. It will be over 90 days on this WOE. At this time, I will tell him I have not taken meds for a while. I will bring in my tester also. I am hoping that I am under 125 from here on out.

The balls of my feet are a little sore. I think I need better shoes for the treadmill. I might have to wait a bit after buying three pairs of jeans. I worked up a pretty good sweat today also. The new settings are very challenging, lots of inclines.

I am doing good at not getting on the scale. I also did something very different today, I I'd not eat everything I cooked. I have leftovers. Add some rice or soup and I have a whole other meal. Someone mentioned in their journal an involuntary "sigh" we make when full. I felt it and stopped. I then did the treadmill and took a hot shower.

Feeling great today!

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:19 pm

BS: 116

D: large salad, gardenia mix, leftovers mixed with tomato soup
S: reece's peanut butter cup, almond joy, two fat free fig newtons.

E: 1h treadmill, curls w/dumb bells

I grabbed two pieces of Halloween candy. I even paused and thought about it. They were both very good. I do not think I will be eating anymore of it. But I did not think I was going to eat those two pieces. Maybe next year will be better...

I have worked harder on drinking more water. I want to drink it before I eat, right now I am drinking after. That is when I remember.

Third day in a row with sugar under 120. I might start testing two hours after eating if this keeps up.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby ~Beth~ » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:31 pm

I went back and read your first post and I see it was July 31, 2012, so you've been doing this for 90 days now.
So great to see it helping with your morning blood sugars on a consistent basis.

~Beth~

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:11 pm

~Beth~. The 90 days have went by fast. I still feel like I have lots to go. I really enjoy the forums, especially the journals.

-----

BS: 121

B: 1/2c oatmeal with banana
D: Salad, leftover pinto beans, brown rice with steamed veggies w/teriyaki sauce. One thin slice of homemade bread.
S: Gardenia Mix

E: 1h treadmill

I did real good on drinking extra water today. I also stopped eating when I was full. I have leftovers for tomorrow, I will add some onions and mushrooms to it.

I am feeling pretty good. I snuck on the scale and I was 224.9. So that has me excited. I am already pumped up for my next weigh-in on Saturday. I really need to stay off the stupid scale. If I am 225 Saturday I will be bummed, even though it would mean I had a good week. I will learn. I have had a good week, I feel good and my sugar has been good. I have lots of energy and have not been hungry at all.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:12 pm

BS: 122

D: salad, brown rice with veggies, 2 small slices of homemade bread
S: grapefruit

E: 1/2h treadmill

Busy Friday. Watched movies with family. Last night I did an extra 1/2h on treadmill during second half of TNF.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:14 am

Weigh-in day!

I am feeling pretty good about that number. I am also not going to get on the scale for a whole week.

BS: 105

Yep, 105. I am feeling great about that number. Even when taking oral meds and lantis I did not have a morning 105. Next week I get lab work done. Then the week after I get to talk to the doctor. I am looking forward to that. I hope by April I can be deemed non-diabetic.

This morning I was taking my wife to get her hair cut by our daughter who is in cosmetology school. My wife mentioned a concern about me getting "too skinny". I told her I had a long way to go before that would be an issue. Apparently she does not like skinny guys. I do not ever see myself as skinny. I want to be lean and fit.

After I dropped her off I went to the produce place. I have been going there for about six weeks. They now know me there. I always buy lots of mushrooms, so I guess I am the mushroom man. I buy lots of potatoes there also. I spend about $35 or less a week there. The only things I do not buy there are oatmeal, rice, canned beans, dry beans, soups, frozen veggies, sauces, condiments and spices. Those items last longer. I think my wife is seeing the impact on the grocery bill.

Saturday is grocery day. I think we are taking our youngest daughter to the mall for some clothes. Then Hockey tonight. I am not sure if I will get any tradmill time or not. It should be an active day.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby ~Beth~ » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:59 am

So you lost 3.4 this week? That's really good

Also what great news about your new low blood sugar
Pretty soon you will be below 100!

I bet you will have some drops in your A1C when you get your labs next week.

This way of eating is really working for you

Other people are strange when you are losing weight. I know when I have lost weight in the past, people always say, "Great Job, now don't lose any more. You don't want to get to skinny (unhealthy)" ... and usually when they say that I am still 15 or so pounds from my goal weight. :?

~Beth~

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:52 pm

~Beth~ It was a good week. The food, besides oil, has been fairly easy. I have always liked vegetables anyway. Truth be told, I was never a big sweets eater. Maybe ice cream, but I have never been big into dessert. Now meat and cheese, those I loved. The "too skinny" comments make me feel good.

--------

L: salad, roasted red potatoes with salsa
D: salad, steamed broccoli w/onions and mushroom over brown rice w/teriyaki sauce.

E: a few dumbbell sets. Nothing that hard.

I did lots and lots of walking today. I survived the mall. I even picked up a new pair of tennis shoes and three more pairs of 501's. My wife told me that if these get too big, I will just have to wear them baggy. A while back go, when I mentioned getting clothes, she was concerned about the weight loss being permanent and not to get rid of my old clothes. I think she can tell that I have no desire to be a big person. I was surprised on the green light to pick up the jeans. My shoes were worn out.

We did not make it grocery shopping, so that will be in the morning. I have everything I need. Then football. I think only one friend is coming by.

I might just start weighing everyday when I check my blood sugar and just count the Saturday weight on my tracker. I am making too big of a deal about the stupid number and I know it will go up and down during the week (and day). I never really cared about how much I weighed, now I do. It is odd.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:42 pm

BS: 122

L: salad, roasted gold potatoes w/steamed mushrooms, onions and green peppers
S: pretzels, pretzel thins both dipped in hummus
D: More salad, roasted gold potatoes w/steamed mushrooms, onions and green peppers
S: apple slices, snack size Hershey bar, two fat free fig newtons

E: 1h treadmill, curls itch 20lb dumb bells.

Stayed busy, watched some football. I also sorted out some old clothes.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby ~Beth~ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:48 pm

Welcome back. I need to hear about what happens when people go back to SAD.

John you said this on someone else's journal (wolfpacker)

I followed McDougall 4 years ago and had great results. Lost 27 pounds without counting calories or points or anything, increased energy A LOT and really reduced my migraines and was able to control my migraines/headaches with just Tylenol instead of having to resort to prescription meds (also improved my mood)

I gradually went back to SAD and gradually the weight came back. The migraines stayed okay for awhile but slowly got worse and worse. Also the fatigue has gotten out of control and is much worse than it was before. By the time I restarted this time I was having migraine, headache, pressure in my head, chronic fatigue every single day and could not function. I was missing work, not getting anything done around the house, missing out on fun social functions, everything completely worse than ever.

This is the end of week 6 back on McDougall and I am definitely starting to see improvement, with a little more energy, starting to get strings of migraine free days, and losing weight again.

Hopefully you learn from my bad example and the other returnees you meet here on the discussion boards... :)

~Beth~

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals