Good news about bad habits?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Good news about bad habits?

Postby susanhc » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:02 am

I know you guys must be tired of seeing every article posted here but I'm being bombarded by DASHists and Paleos and people with "Nourishing Traditions" cookbooks.

http://www.naturalnews.com/036258_chole ... imers.html

How are they coming up with this? Is this another case of twisting facts to make people feel better about bacon?
susanhc

Re: Good news about bad habits?

Postby Frieda » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:10 am

PMD is a rare genetic disorder. How these "journalists" extrapolate data from very specific studies on very specific populations to general conclusions about larger populations is beyond me.
Frieda

Re: Good news about bad habits?

Postby didi » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:33 am

My grandmother and my husband's uncle had parkinson's disease. Neither one was a vegan and both got plenty of fats and cholesterol in the diet. Joel Fuhrman names two prominent low fat proponents who did have parkinson's or something similar but their names escape me now. So if this illness is caused by lack of cholesterol in the diet then it still remains to be proven. The movie Awakenings was about victims of an encephalitis epidemic who had Parkinson's but were temporarily cured. My grandmother's illness was probably from this epidemic which was most likely caused by mosquitos carrying the virus.

As for statins causing the kind of brain damage noted in the article--well I wouldn't be surprised if any drug were to do any sort of damage.

Didi
didi

Return to The Lounge