Get so tired in the afternoon!!!

Learn the basics and take the first steps to successfully implement the McDougall Program.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Get so tired in the afternoon!!!

Postby budrose1111 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:59 am

Been on McDougall's - Starch Solution - foods since May 14, 2012. In the beginning, I felt good after eating potatoes, rice, and veggies. But the last week or so, I am very tired in the afternoon. I have MS and having bouts of fatigue is normal. This is different. I am a little dizzy along with the fatigue. My blood sugar is normal, so that can be ruled out as a cause. Any thoughts??

My regular menu is:
Breakfast -
1/2 c Oatmeal
1/2 c Grape Nuts cereal
1 tblsp ground flaxseed
Handful - walnuts
1 c rice milk
1 tblsp pure maple syrup
Lunch -
White or sweet potato
Macaroni salad (recipe in Starch Solution) or brown rice
1-2 c peas or corn or tossed garden salad
Dinner -
Repeat Lunch menu
budrose1111

Re: Get so tired in the afternoon!!!

Postby Potatohead » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:52 pm

you need some more veggies...greens..try spinach or kale either raw, or in salads or steamed....I have day's when I am tired in the PM...but I blame the weather here..its too hot and humid(South Florida) also make sure you are drinking enough...water...if you are dehydrated you can become dizzy...if it continues maybe you should have blood work done to make sure you are not anemic.
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby budrose1111 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Thanks Potatohead for responding to my post. I will try to add more greens. I have to be a bit cautious with that though because I take a blood thinner. As you may know, the vitamin K in dark leafy greens can counteract the blood thinning effect of warfarin. My doctor knows that I am eating more vegetables and he can adjust my medication accordingly.

The weather here has been a bit wacky this year. Now it is too hot, so it is possible that I am not drinking enough water.

Thanks for the suggestions.
budrose1111

Postby Potatohead » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:30 am

budrose1111 wrote:Thanks Potatohead for responding to my post. I will try to add more greens. I have to be a bit cautious with that though because I take a blood thinner. As you may know, the vitamin K in dark leafy greens can counteract the blood thinning effect of warfarin. My doctor knows that I am eating more vegetables and he can adjust my medication accordingly.

The weather here has been a bit wacky this year. Now it is too hot, so it is possible that I am not drinking enough water.

Thanks for the suggestions.

yes u definitely need you doctors approval for more greens....Warfarin is a hard drug..I hope you have your blood tested every few weeks being on Warfarin, as my Mom was on that, and the Doctor was not on top of her blood work and she ended up in the hospital because she started to bleed rectally ..her blood count was too low...
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby budrose1111 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:05 am

Not too happy that I have to take warfarin, but had a blood clot in my lung and some in my leg after surgery in 2005. Since I cannot walk and circulate the blood, the doctors thought that I need to thin my blood to prevent more clots. I do my own blood test (INR) every week. I used to work for a group of cardiologists so I am very familiar with this test and this medication.

When last checked, my CBC blood count was normal. I suspect that all of these symptoms are due to not eating enough or not eating the correct ratio of foods or just maybe the weather.

I just appreciate the advice of more experienced McDougallers to see if they had this problem in the beginning.

Today will be in the 90's and humid. Not my favorite weather. Will drink, drink, drink, LOL. Water that is :D.
Thanks again.
Rose Mary
budrose1111

Postby Potatohead » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:47 am

jump right in to the boards....Welcome...on the Health issues board there is a lady with MS...also check out the lounge....A lot more folks read those boards, so you will get more answers to your questions.
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby budrose1111 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:28 am

Thanks. Didn't know where to post my request for info. I will try your suggestions. I thought most people do what I do...click "View New Posts" when I first sign on here. Good to know there is another way to go about this. :)
Rose Mary
budrose1111

Return to How to Begin