Thanks so much for creating this thread Knut, this is a terribly important issue with far reaching health and environmental consequences. I hope this gets a ton of hits and raises interest in our community of concerned eaters!
The below is excerpted from an article on the website EcoLife
Overview of Genetically Modified Food
Why You Should Avoid GM Food
By Maryruth Belsey Priebe
Negative impacts of genetically modified food
If you have yet to do any reading on the concerns many scientists and medical professionals are raising about genetically modified foods and agriculture, you’ve got a bit of catching up to do. Genetical engineering is a highly complex issue with far-reaching impacts on the earth as a whole and on individuals, too. But to get you up to speed, the Organic Consumer’s Association (OCA) has a very good summary of the major hazards of promoting genetically engineered crops and foods, and here are the highlights:
- Toxins and poisons, causing disabilities, short and long-term health problems, and even death in some cases.
- Increased cancer risk because of genetically engineered hormones given to feed animals.
- Skyrocketing food allergies as a result of foreign proteins being spliced into the gene structures of our foods.
- Reduced food quality and nutritional values.
- Increased exposure to pesticide residues because of the agrochemicals being used on GE crops (contrary to GE propaganda which argues that these crops don’t need as many chemical treatments).
- Genetic pollution as bees, birds, and insects pollute non-GMO crops with GM genetic matter, resulting in the potential loss of wild species of plants and insects.
- Reduction in the populations of beneficial insects and soil fertility.
- Contributions to the creation of superbugs and super weeds as well as new viruses and pathogens as these pests become immune to the herbicides and pesticides genetically built into GE crops.
- Dismantling of small farm systems that support farming families. 
If that’s not enough to convince you, check out the following campaigns that will educate you on all of the intricacies of genetically modified organisms and their hazards for the planet and for your body:
Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology - OCA
Say No to GMOs!
Please read the rest of the article here to find out what foods are likely to be GMO and how to avoid eating GMO foods now until they are labelled as they should be!!!http://www.ecolife.com/health-food/orga ... 26.2012_NL