fruit

You can ask one of our experts a specific question here

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, John McDougall

fruit

Postby Maer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Hi to all you that have been doing this successfully for a long time!

Wanted to know if you limit fruit, or restrict fruit choices to certain kinds of fruit, and if so, what, and why. Or have you found that a lot of fruit is still OK?

Thanks!

Maer

Oh, and meant to add, do you do fruit/greens smoothies or not?
Maer

Re: fruit

Postby KareninTN » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:17 am

Hi Maer,
I typically eat 3 fruits per day, sometimes a little more in the summer, when it is so abundant. I make no limitations on type, but obviously what's seasonal is cheaper, if that is a concern. I have never had a smoothie, ever. The idea just doesn't appeal; I'd rather chew my food. :D
Karen
McDougalling since summer, 2005. Maintaining my 100 pound weight loss since summer, 2007. My Star McDougaller stories: video written
KareninTN

Postby frozenveg » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:32 am

I eat between one and five fruits a day--my 5-fruit days are either when I have a sweet tooth attack, or when I am at all-day functions that only have salad and fresh fruit as options for me to eat.

And I also do not do smoothies. I eat my greens in salads, stews and soups. On a rare occasion, I have banana ice "cream" (frozen bananas, blended till smooth)--and that is the extent of my smoothie experience. I like to chew my food, like Karenin TN.
5'3" tall, 64 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010.

Following the McDougall plan gave me my life back! Thank you, Dr. McD!
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cloudy_rockwell.htm
frozenveg

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:15 am

I too eat a lot of fruit--2-4 servings a day on average, with more in the summertime. Unless it slows your weight loss or you have diabetes, it's not necessary to restrict fruit much. :)
Starting: 207 lbs/ BMI 33.4
Current: 123 lbs / BMI 19.9

Read my Star McDougaller Story and my Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:16 am

Oh, and no smoothies for me. As Jeff has repeatedly said, it's better to EAT your food, rather than drink it. :)

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Maer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Thank you, all

It's good to know that you all are not particularly limiting fruit, and also interesting (for me) to know that smoothies are not a big part of your daily intake. I'd gotten the idea from the Dr. F. site that a fruit/green smoothie was a very important part of maximizing nutrient intake, but they make me feel so bloated!

Part of the reason for my question was the idea I'd heard/seen mentioned elsewhere, that too much fructose, even from sugar, was harmful.

Maer
Maer

Postby Katydid » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:30 pm

I range between 2-3 pieces a day. I have fresh and/or frozen fruit with my morning oatmeal, and a piece of fruit at lunch. Sometimes I'll add some fruit to a salad or dish at dinner (pineapple to a stir-fry for example). As you say, not the most important part of my diet, just a pleasant treat to sweeten food without adding sugar, or round out a meal.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:31 pm

Maer wrote:It's good to know that you all are not particularly limiting fruit, and also interesting (for me) to know that smoothies are not a big part of your daily intake. I'd gotten the idea from the Dr. F. site that a fruit/green smoothie was a very important part of maximizing nutrient intake, but they make me feel so bloated!

But this isn't the Fuhrman plan--it's the McDougall plan. ;) If you eat your fruit instead of drinking it you will probably naturally limit it a bit. I don't consciously do it, but I know I would eat more fruit if I were drinking it.
Last edited by ETeSelle on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ETeSelle

Postby Maer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:18 pm

Yeah, you're right, ETeStelle,

more fruit goes into the smoothie to take the bitterness away from the greens.

And yes, I have to keep reminding myself, that despite the surface similarities, McD is very different from F in some key respects.

Thanks, again

Maer
Maer

Postby frozenveg » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:24 am

One other reason to pay attention to fruit consumption is in this article about elevated triglycerides:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2003nl/ ... erides.htm

My triglycerides were a bit high last year, and I keep forgetting that I want to limit my fruit before my next blood work to see if reducing fruit will lower them.

Here's the pertinent quote form the article:
One special note for those of you who are trying to lower your triglycerides; fruit raises triglycerides in sensitive people and needs to be severely limited – at least for several weeks – in people trying to lower triglycerides.7 Fruit (natural, dried, and as juice) is made of simple sugars and the primary sugar is fructose.
5'3" tall, 64 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010.

Following the McDougall plan gave me my life back! Thank you, Dr. McD!
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cloudy_rockwell.htm
frozenveg

Postby f1jim » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:01 pm

My fruit consumption is generally a couple fruits a day. But it can be sporadic at times with my consumption going as high as four or 5 fruits a day to zero. On average, though, two.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at http://www.drmcdougall.com/star.html Scroll to James Brown
f1jim

Postby Maer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:45 pm

Thank you all again, for your experiences and thoughts. this is so very helpful for me, to get this kind of info from people who have maintained their improvements over time like this.

so I'm going to start limiting my fruit more now, BEFORE all the summer fruit hits as if I'm in the habit of eating a lot of fruit, I can definitely overeat on it to the exclusion of other sources of calories, like from starches!

Maer
Maer

Return to Ask A Star McDougaller