This thread was inspired by a suggestion from Frozenveg. Thank you for the great idea.
A reminder of the basics from the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Book. All of these points are discussed in more detail in the book.
Below some links with more information about calorie density and the starvation mode myth and what McDougalling really is. Program outlined in the MWL book, page 60.
1. Eliminate All Animal Foods
2. Eliminate All Oils
3. Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods: Nuts, Nut Butters, Seeds, Seed Butters, Avocados, Coconut, & Olives.
4. Eliminate All Flour Products
5. Eat Whole Grains and Potatoes
6. Eat Legumes
7. Make Green & Yellow Vegetables One-Half to One-Third of your meal
8. Eat Uncooked Foods
9. Restrict Fresh Fruit to No More Than Two Servings a Day, and Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree, and Fruit Juice
10. Use Simple Sugar SparinglyGuidelines for Healthy Eating in MWL book, page 67.
1. Eat until you’re satisfied
3. Allow time for digestion
4. Chew foods thoroughly
5. Restrict varietyWeight-Losing Reasons To Exercise. MWL book, page 100.
1. Exercise burns calories
2. Calories continue to burn after exercise
3. Exercise counteracts plateaus
4. Exercise suppresses appetite
5. Exercise reduces insulin
6. Exercise protects and increases muscle massExercise you can live with. MWL book, page 106-107 Aerobics:
The best kind of exercise. Walking, running, cycling, & swimming are not only enjoyable but highly efficient ways to lose weight. Benefits of weight training:
Build a stronger body
Build a shapelier body
Improve bone density
Help prevent musculoskeletal injury
Elevate blood levels of HDL cholesterolYour New Daily Exercise Plan: MWL Book Page 109
1. Get up half an hour earlier each day, or skip a TV program to do a specific exercise.
2. Make exercise a part of each day.
3. Choose an activity that you have always enjoyed and do it at least four times per week.
4. Sometimes purchasing equipment helps to motivate…
5. Invest in a membership in a YMCA, YWCA, or health and fitness club
6. Ask a friend to become your exercise partner
7. Go dancing, a great aerobic (and romantic) exercise
8. Join a walking or hiking club.
9. Check with your local adult-education program for exercise programs.
10. Keep an exercise journal. Establishing a healthy way of life from page 127 of the MWL book.
Step 1. Be Goal-Oriented
Step 2. Acknowledge Your Willingness to Pay the Price
Step 3. Educate Yourself, Become an Expert
Step 4. Visualize Yourself as Healthy
Step 5. Make a Commitment: It’s Magic
Step 6. Ensure That Your Environment Supports Your Goals
Step 7. Alter Your Coping Mechanisms
Step 8. Join A Support Group
Step 9. Reward Yourself
Step 10. Keep It Simple
About set-pointshttp://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl/ ... ushing.htm
My favorite all time post about what McDougalling really is:
Its starch based not veggie basedhttp://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic ... 249#p57249
Mary's Mini McDougall Diethttp://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/june/marys.htmhttp://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/july/marys2.htm