The Starch Solution by John McDougall - Good and Bad News...

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

The Starch Solution by John McDougall - Good and Bad News...

Postby ella » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:42 pm

...I knew that would get your attention!

The good news is that amazon.com posted it. Finally.

The bad news is that, as most of you know, it won't be available until 4/12. But amazon often ships out new books a few days or weeks before their release date if you preorder.

So we only have about 9 months left to wait. Sigh. At least by then I'll be my old skinny self if i keep up this way of eating...which I will!!!!
ella

Re: The Starch Solution by John McDougall - Good and Bad New

Postby ParsleyPatch » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:59 pm

Why on earth do books take so darn long to get on the stands? Anyone know? I've never understood that about the publishing world . . . :duh:
One who is forever grateful to Dr. McDougall for showing me the way to optimal health!
ParsleyPatch

Postby Burgess » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:10 pm

Schlock books only take a few months to publish. High quality nonfiction books -- those that are thoroughly researched, well thought-out, concisely written, ruthlessly edited, and carefully proofread -- take typically one or two years from the time the author completes the writing of the manuscript.

Few tasks can be done in parallel. Most tasks need to be done serially. The book's graphic designer shouldn't do her job until the manuscript has been completely proofread and edited. The proofreader shouldn't proofread until the editors are completely satisfied. And so forth all the way back to the initial concept stage which often is five or more years before you actually see the book in a bookstore.

I would expect --based on my own experience as an author and as a former editor and publications manager -- that a book as revolutionary as The Starch Solution -- requires meticulous technical review by at least a few experts. Each reviewer might need months to slowly review the book for the cogency of its argument and to challenge its footnotes or bibliography.

Thousands of hours go into producing a high-quality book. And it only costs us a few dollars. That is worth waiting for.

My own, most recent book, The Power and the Glory (http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com/), took me 12 years to research, outline, write, and edit (in five cycles). Then it took a year for technical review (by academics) and a year and a half to go through the publisher's process of editing (three editors), proofreading, and graphic design. Even then, with all that help, one alert reader has now found about 10 minor errors (e.g., "Patterson" in one place, but "Paterson" in another place). I am sure there are more errors waiting to be discovered.

Striving for quality takes time. The end result is worth it.
Burgess Laughlin, Star McDougaller
My books: http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com
My health weblog: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com
Burgess

Postby ParsleyPatch » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:14 pm

Thanks, Burgess. That makes sense now. I guess we just have to be patient. Dr. McDougall's words are certainly worth waiting and paying for! :nod:

(Your book looks interesting, too!)
One who is forever grateful to Dr. McDougall for showing me the way to optimal health!
ParsleyPatch

Return to The Lounge