Made to Crave

Post here diet and lifestyle topics that have a religious orientation. Topics with a religious tone posted in all other parts of the board will be deleted.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, John McDougall

Made to Crave

Postby kirstykay » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:27 pm

Is anyone reading this book by Lysa Teurkeurst? I just started it, and I am interested in starting a book discussion if anyone would like to.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcjx234/]

You are what you do, not what you say you'll do. ~C.G. Jung
kirstykay

Re: Made to Crave

Postby RAS » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:12 am

Hi Kirsty,What is the name of the Book?Does it involve eating?Is it a self help book? Let us know.Might be interested. RAS
RAS

Postby kirstykay » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:02 am

The book is titled "Made to Crave." It is about our relationship with food and God. You can read an exerpt at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Made-Crave-Satisf ... 415&sr=1-1

Here's what she says in the introduction:

"It's not the 'how to' I'm missing. It's the 'want to'...really wanting to make changes and deciding that the results of those changes are worth the sacrifice. ...So the cycle continues day after day, week after week, year after year. A whole lifetime could be spent making excuses, giving in, feeling guilty, resolving to do better, mentally beating myself up for not sticking to my resolve, feeling like a failure, and then resigning myself to the fact that things can't change. And I don't want to spend a lifetime in this cycle. I suspect you don't either."

She tells the story of the rich young ruler from Matthew 19:21, and then makes this comment:

"The rich young man then goes away sad because he won't give up the one thing that consumes him. He is so full with his riches he can't see how undernourished his soul is. ...Jesus didn't mean this as a sweeping command for everyone who has a lot of money. Jesus meant this for any of us who wallow in whatever abundance we have. I imagine Jesus looked straight into this young man's soul and said, 'Iwant you to give up the one thing you crave more than me. Then come follow me.'"

So, her premise is that we are "Made to Crave" and we often fill that craving with food, when God created us to crave HIM above all else.

It's an easy read, short chapters, and insightful. Not a "diet" book, but very much touches on the issues of our relationship with God, and our addiction to food.

Let me know if anyone is interested in reading this book together and discussing it on this forum. We could do a chapter a day (they are only a few pages long)...or a couple chapters a week, if that's more realistic. It could be interesting.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcjx234/]

You are what you do, not what you say you'll do. ~C.G. Jung
kirstykay

Postby Lilliane » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:34 pm

Kirsty, I am reading this book, and would love to share thoughts with you and anyone else interested. I just read chapter 10, It's Not Fair this morning, and was really struck with some of her conclusions-Compromise built upon compromise equals failure.

There are many ways to state this as was posted on the other board just today also, a quote from Dr Fuhrman, "It all starts with getting little nicks and dents in the neat picket fence around us called "boundaries." The purpose of a boundary is to keep us safe."
Also, I keep thinking about f1Jim's comments regarding wasting precious years, just do it-or something like that.

I will be willing to start over again for the purpose of a discussion and other's insights on this book. Thanks for this post. :-)
Lilliane
Lilliane

Postby jamila04 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:25 am

Kristy,

I ordered it, but it has not arrived and I would be very happy to do a book study with you and whoever would like too. I see that I can use all the support I can with this and staying on track, by not allowing the enemy to deter me from God's will in my life.

I'll let you know when it arrives. Thanks for putting it out there. I feel that the Lord led me to order this book.

Be blessed in Him always!

jamilao4
jamila04

Postby abbasjoygirl » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:57 pm

I :) know its been a while since someone posted on this. Is there anyone interested in sharing about what they get out of Made to Crave book? I bought this earlier this year, just haven't taken the time to work through it.
Brenda
Brenda,
Potatoes make me happy!
abbasjoygirl

Postby LoriJenny » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:32 pm

Sounds like an interesting book...I would love to hear more about it. So interesting about the rich young ruler...it's not that he was rich, it was that the money meant more to him than God...something to think about. I'd love to hear more about this book.
LoriJenny

Postby Lilliane » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:17 pm

Hi Lori and Brenda,
I have been going through this book with another McDougaller, Jamila. We have had so much help from it and from one another! The author brings out so much "food for thought" and so much wisdom, showing the strength and power that is available to us who wish to follow Jesus. I know there are many on this board who have the strength of will to do this program on their own-I am not one of them. But since working through Made to Crave with Jamila, I have had the will to make the decisions I need to make, and have have done much better. Not perfect yet, probably never will be, but lighter and healthier, and feeling much better about it all. I am very grateful to the author, and to God for this help.

I would be interested in hearing from the two of you, and anyone else who might like to join us as a small group. :-)
Lilliane
Lilliane

Postby PattyC » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi all,

First of all, my apologies for the long post.

I have recently started reading the board again after a long time away and I am so grateful for this somewhat new forum! My heart aches to have somewhere to read and speak of both God and the McDougall way freely with like-minded people. I want to grow so much in both areas.

I am soon to be 70 years old and am overweight by 80 to 100 pounds. All of my recent blood tests came back more healthy than most thin people but I know the weight is not good. The only meds I take are Synthroid and a BP med that I could probably go off of very soon. I also go to a very fast-paced water aerobic class 3 days a week and I McDougall a good 85% of the time so I'm sure that's what has kept me okay so far but I'm smart enough to know that it's not good enough. I have more than enough head knowledge - I just can't seem to put it into action permanently.

I have 2 big food issues: Sugar and bread. I have a slightly better handle on the bread but the sugar can be a beast. They are both enough to keep me from succeeding along with all of the church gatherings and food-related functions with the Widows Group at church. I have found it extremely difficult to participate and not just eat what's there. I'm so messed up in the brain when it comes to these occasions.

I have been McDougalling off and on since 1994 and believe with all my heart that this is the way to go. I attended a ten-day McDougall live-in program in 2005 and loved it but never took it to a successful end.

My problem is that I have never had complete success and I am my own worst enemy. I don't know what it feels like to actually make it and for some reason it scares me to death to actually win this battle. It's kind of like losing a part of my very being as I have been an emotional eater all of my life and it's taken me through lots of bad emotional journeys. I've conquered most of the issues but for some reason yet, I do not allow myself to succeed or to even get near goal. I did lose 30 pounds and have kept that off but, at my age, it tries to creep back up regularly. :D

If I can figure out how to just let it happen, I will be thrilled. Maybe this book, my growing faith and this forum will be the beginning. I so appreciate all of you and your contributions.

Thank you for your time and your blessings in advance, Pat
Pat

PattyC

Postby Lilliane » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:26 pm

Hi PattyC,
Welcome. I can relate to your issues very well. I can say that the Made to Crave book has really helped me as well as another McDougaller, and we would welcome you along on our faith journey! Just let me know here or by PM if you would like to join us. :-D
Blessings
Lilliane
Lilliane

Postby PattyC » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:00 am

Lilliane wrote:Hi PattyC,
Welcome. I can relate to your issues very well. I can say that the Made to Crave book has really helped me as well as another McDougaller, and we would welcome you along on our faith journey! Just let me know here or by PM if you would like to join us. :-D
Blessings

Hi Lilliane,
Thanks for your reply. It's very comforting to know that I am not alone with my particular issues.

I just entered the September challenge to commit to as perfect a program as possible for 30 days. This is how I usually approach things - in excess - and then when I make a mistake or stumble, I give it up and tell myself what a mess I am.

Anyway, I did order Made to Crave along with the workbook and DVD (there's my excess again!) so I'll let you know when it arrives. I am very, very fearful of turning it all over to God because I feel that I can't do it perfectly and I don't want to disappoint him. Crazy and not true, I logically know that, but it's definitely something I have to work on emotionally.

I'm looking forward to the journey and getting my mind straightened out and on a wonderful path.

Pat
Pat

PattyC

Postby Annitenth » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:05 am

Patty, I just sent you a private message.
Anne
ONE-derful
36 lb. from goal
Annitenth

Return to Religious Forum