"World Security is Threatened by Hunger Caused By Gluttony"

Give us your thoughts on the latest McDougall mailings here

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve

"World Security is Threatened by Hunger Caused By Gluttony"

Postby pinkrose » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:25 am

You can see the article here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2011nl/feb/hunger.htm

Thanks to Dr. McDougall for showing us that the "starch solution" is not only a means of helping ourselves to be healthier. It is also a way to help feed the TRULY hungry!

I have shared this link with some of my flesh eating friends. What will you do with it?
:-D
pinkrose

Re: "World Security is Threatened by Hunger Caused By Glutto

Postby Dechen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:51 am

Thank you so very much for posting the link. I have put it up on my facebook page. I hope it will make people think, dig a bit deeper and become part of the solution! :nod:
Dechen

Location: Ashton-in-Makerfield, Wigan (halfway between Liverpool and Manchester) Lancashire, UK

Postby Chile » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:30 am

I included a link to the article in my blog post today. I've already had one comment agreeing and one disagreeing. :lol:
Chile

Postby kkrichar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:32 am

I'm culling through the article and links now. We could feed more than 2 and a half times the US population (840 million people) with the amount of grains fed to US livestock! The livestock then feeds about 310 million Americans who consume double the amount of recommended protein and then spend more than the rest of the world in health care costs. This is so offensive I'm embarrassed and horrified.

The delusion that I can eat like other people has to be smashed.
kkrichar

Postby pinkrose » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:05 pm

kkrichar wrote:I'm culling through the article and links now. We could feed more than 2 and a half times the US population (840 million people) with the amount of grains fed to US livestock! The livestock then feeds about 310 million Americans who consume double the amount of recommended protein and then spend more than the rest of the world in health care costs. This is so offensive I'm embarrassed and horrified.

Astounding, isn't it?

I like the way Dr. McDougall shows that each person can make a difference. If one person replaces flesh with starches, it will help to decrease the pressures on our world food supply. Your votes in elections will probably not make any difference (meaning that your single vote is unlikely to elect anyone or decide any issues) but your food choices do make a difference to the planet and those who inhabit it! :-D
Last edited by pinkrose on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinkrose

Postby afreespirit » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:33 pm

Yes, it is said that the most important choice any individual can make to help the planet is to go vegan.

The Power of One :-D
afreespirit

Postby barbaraann » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:17 pm

The article on world hunger written so thoughtfully by Dr. McDougall was not only 'spot on' with a long standing problem in our world, that of feeding the children but showing so clearly the solution. I have no doubt that what he clearly pointed out for the future of this planet will come to pass . The question yet to be answered is what generation of children will face this dilemma. The article made me hopefull however as I knew that defining the question and the answer is the biggest step towards the solution. Thank you Dr. McDougall for your persistant voice in this most important discussion.
barbaraann

Postby didi » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:46 pm

I don't think logic is going to solve the problem. Supply and demand might. South Sea islanders were very healthy on their traditional diets but when they became rich from selling some of their natural resources, no one wanted to gather or farm the way their ancestors did and they had the money now to buy the foods of the western diet. Lots of soda pop and spam etc. Scientists did studies on some of these people and the only way they could get them to revert to the traditional diet was to pay them. Everyone lost weight, lowered blood sugar etc. A return to health! It was great. After the scientists left and they weren't being paid anymore they reverted back to the SAD.

What is it about human nature that would make us rather die than give up a little gustatory pleasure?

Didi
didi

Postby barbaraann » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:36 pm

You may be right Didi. About the supply and demand thing being the answer to getting people to change to a plant based diet. So when we run out of enough land to feed cattle, pigs, cows, chickens, lamb etc. the food crops they need and when we have such scarce water resources that we can no longer irrigate those food crops for animals and when we are at war with each other, killing for water and food then maybe the law of supply and demand will apply and people will decide to adopt a more earth friendly/health friendly diet. I'm 60 years of age now and may not see this all come to pass in my lifetime but God help those who do.
barbaraann

Return to Comments on Latest Newsletter or Star McDougaller