Autism

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Autism

Postby judyseelye » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Hello Firefly,

I appreciate all you are going through. My advice is to take it day by day. Dealing with autism is challenging and requires caring support. I hope you can find it. Hang in there. My grandson has a form of autism and I, too, find that gluten and dairy-free baked goods taste strange. I have altered a bit one of Mary McDougall's muffin recipes and submit it below. Also you could try Bob's Red Mill GF Oat Flour. This I have found is the closest equivalent to wheat and white flours. It needs no other additive flours in this recipe. I found it at a health food store and have also bought it at Amazon.com. I imagine Whole Foods or a big chain grocer might carry it as well. But, definitely directly from Bob.

Easy Apple Muffins ( I have been making this for years and it is so quick you can memorize it and get it into the oven in minutes!)

apple............1 peeled and dice then put aside.

Into a medium-sized bowl measure and combine well:
Bob's GF Oat flour................1 cup
baking powder.....................1/2 teaspoon
baking soda..........................1/2 teaspoon
cinnamon..............................1 teaspoon

Into a 2-cup measuring cup add and stir well:
Rice Dream Vanilla-flavor enriched rice milk.............. 1/2 cup
Unsweetened applesauce.............................................1/4 cup
Agave syrup........................................................1 tablespoon or more if desired.

Pour liquid in measuring cup into bowl of dry ingredients. Mix sparingly until just combined..............Fold in diced apple.

This is enough for a 6-cup muffin tin. No need for liners in cups.
BAKE: 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

***This recipe lends itself as a base for many other tasty additions. I have used Dole canned pineapple tidbits or chunks to it.

You could also make a cornmeal bread this way by doubling the recipe and using cornmeal (which is gluten free) as the second cup of flour. Also, for a cornmeal bread, double the baking powder.

Other thoughts. Add Dole pineapple tidbits to brown rice dishes and to Quinoa dishes......seems my grandsons (ages 2 and 4) like this a lot. I babysit them full time.

For the apple muffins, I imagine any dairy-free milk would work, I find that the rice milk works best taste wise for me. Also Musselman's apple sauce is particularly good texture wise for this recipe.

Good luck and let us all know how it goes.

Sincerely,
Judy
judyseelye

Previous

Return to Family and Children