Looking for a scalloped-type potato casserole recipe

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Looking for a scalloped-type potato casserole recipe

Postby Chick Pea » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:24 am

Dear fellow McDougallers,

I know that you can give me some wonderful suggestions for this!

I am going out of town in a couple of days and will be gone for a full week. I have a bunch of potatoes that I'd like to use up before then, since they are looking a little old already. We've recently had mashed potatoes, and boiled, and baked potatoes. So, I was thinking a sort of scalloped potato casserole would go over well and be a welcomed change for my family. I'm thinking of just adding a little soy milk mixed with flour to sliced potatoes, and maybe some yeast flake, but that doesn't sound like enough. What else should I do? Anyone have a tried and true recipe that your family loves? I do have the Q&E cookbook, so I'll go check there next, but thought that maybe I'd start with the plethora of experts on this board. :-)

I hate to admit it, but when I think of scallopped potatoes, the only ingredients that come to mind are definitely non-McDougall, but do bring back fond comfort-food type memories/feelings. Please help me to come up with a guiltless substitute.

Blessings,
Chick Pea
I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
Chick Pea

Postby hope101 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:18 am

Hi, Chick Pea: here is a recipe that has been raved about before. I haven't made it myself.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/03/creamy-scalloped-potatoes.html
hope101

Thanks Hope101

Postby Chick Pea » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:29 pm

This looks like it's worth a try. I tried out my own idea and it wasn't creamy enough, or flavorful for that matter. I was thinking that next time I'd puree some white beans or tofu for a creamier sauce, but your link looks even better. I was tickled to see "miso" recommended, because after trying my own bland attempt, I thought, "hmm, maybe miso?" then dismissed that thought as silly. Who ever heard of miso in scalloped potatoes? Maybe it wasn't such a dumb idea after all...

Thanks again for the link.

Chick Pea
I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
Chick Pea

Postby hope101 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:53 pm

Sounds like you have good instincts!
hope101

Postby vgnwitch » Tue May 01, 2007 8:56 am

Here is an easy scalloped potato recipe from The (Almost) No Fat Cookbook by Bryanna Clark Grogan.

Scalloped Potatoes

Preheat oven to 375F. Peel and thinly slice:
8 large russet potatoes

Layer these in a lightly-sprayed 9" x 13" baking pan, sprinkling as you layer with:
Salt and pepper
Flour, about 1 tablespoon per layer - omit on top

Combine in a blender until smooth:
3 cups soymilk
1 medium onion, cut in chunks
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pour this mixture over the potatoes. Cover the pan and bake for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for half an hour more.

Serves 6 to 8
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Postby kimba » Tue May 01, 2007 9:36 am

I just posted one over at the lounge.

kimba.
kimba

Postby libellule » Wed May 02, 2007 1:39 pm

I just put these in the oven about 12 minutes ago!! THey smell so good!! Thanks for posting this recipe. My mouth is watering as I type!

--Li
libellule

Postby libellule » Wed May 02, 2007 7:09 pm

Okay, the scallopped potatoes were very yummy, but too sweet. Next time, I am going to use an unsweetened soy milk (need to go buy some); otherwise, it was a really good recipe. I would have liked it to be a bit thicker, need to add more tapioca starch. I didn't quite have enough for the recipe.
All in all, it was very yummy.
libellule

Postby hope101 » Thu May 03, 2007 9:45 am

Li, I have done that with soymilk too. :oops: Nothing like a sweet fake Alfredo. :cry:
hope101

Postby Laurie Crittenden » Thu May 03, 2007 3:51 pm

Thanks for the recipe. I have copied it and added it to my file to try later. We are leaving for a cruise on Saturday for a week and I KNOW I will need lots of new ideas when I return to keep my interest up. I am hoping to stick as close to the plan as I can while gone.
It's not Dinner - It's not Lunch
It's Inbetween You Want to Munch
Laurie Crittenden

Re:

Postby lulu_speg » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:11 pm

vgnwitch wrote:Here is an easy scalloped potato recipe from The (Almost) No Fat Cookbook by Bryanna Clark Grogan.

Scalloped Potatoes

Preheat oven to 375F. Peel and thinly slice:
8 large russet potatoes

Layer these in a lightly-sprayed 9" x 13" baking pan, sprinkling as you layer with:
Salt and pepper
Flour, about 1 tablespoon per layer - omit on top

Combine in a blender until smooth:
3 cups soymilk
1 medium onion, cut in chunks
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pour this mixture over the potatoes. Cover the pan and bake for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for half an hour more.

Serves 6 to 8

This recipe is awesome. I made it a few days ago and I'm already making up another batch. Sooo cheap and simple.

I'm currently making a modified version: no added salt, frozen green peas and corn between the layers and on top, a salt-free blackened creole seasoning blend, as well as Mrs. Dash's salt-free table blend. Also added a layer of nutritional yeast on top, and threw some cloves of garlic and green onion into the sauce.

I'll let you all know how it turns out. :D
lulu_speg

Re: Looking for a scalloped-type potato casserole recipe

Postby soul food » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:50 am

I really had to shop around and try various unsweetened soy milks to make a white sauce. I finally found one that didn't taste all vaniliay and sweet but I had to try a few brands first even though they said unsweetened.

soul food
soul food

Postby noelalexis2000 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:53 pm

soul food wrote:I really had to shop around and try various unsweetened soy milks to make a white sauce. I finally found one that didn't taste all vaniliay and sweet but I had to try a few brands first even though they said unsweetened.

soul food

I always use Edensoy the one in the yellow container, I think it is gluten free too. It taste creamy and does not taste sweet at all to me.
noelalexis2000

Postby muesli » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:10 pm

Thank you for posting - I'm definitely going to try both of those recipes as I really miss my cheesy baked potatoes.

Tonight, I did lyonnaise style potatoes - simply sliced potatoes and onions and poured over vegetable stock. Put them in the oven for a couple of hours (covered 1st hour). Crunchy potatoes on top and really soft underneath - my daughter even asked for more.
muesli

Postby veggylvr » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:27 pm

I made scalloped potatoes last night, just using a sauce of soy milk, nutritional yeast, some basil, and a tablespoon of cornstarch. Sliced the potatoes, poured the sauce over the layers, then covered and baked for a little over an hour (75 mins). It was yummy!

I didn't have the other ingredients, but it still turned out well. Btw, where do you buy miso? Is it in regular stores, and, if so, where?
veggylvr

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning