vegetable juice

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

vegetable juice

Postby gigigo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:19 pm

hey guys

ive got a question regarding vegetable juices and thought maybe you can help me.

Whats the difference between eating say 2 pounds of greens/vegetables raw and juicing/drinking them in regards to nutrients and calories?

To my understanding the only difference is the missing fiber in the juice or is there more to it? What about the protein content of the veggies?

thanks
gigigo

Re: vegetable juice

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:24 am

Post this over on Jeff's forum. He's explained this a few times, I think. :)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:25 pm

All that is missing is the fiber but also, because of that you absorb it much much faster than you would if you ate the entire amount of produce. There are pros and cons, Jeff and Dr McDougall come down in favor of eating them entire. Even if blended, like in Vitamix, with all the fiber present, it is still broken down into tiny particles and so the second, rapid digestion issue is still there. Also, you can probably consume a whole lot more of them blended than whole. Not such a big deal w/ things like kale or cabbage but if you are blending in fruit or more calorie dense veg like carrots or beets, it could become an excess calorie issue
GeoffreyLevens

Postby noelalexis2000 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:21 am

I have problems with leafy greens of almost any kind. As long as they are cooked I seem to tolerate them but if I eat a salad of most kinds of lettuce or raw kale or other greens I get intense stomach pain, like I am in labor. I don't understand why I cannot handle them but was thinking about juicing greens to see if I could drink them. Any ideas?
noelalexis2000

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:38 am

My wife used to get that, stomach pain from raw greens. Recently, she started eating tiny amounts of salad daily, softer lettuces esp, and chewing them very well. Over a period of several weeks her tolerance has dramatically improved and now she can pretty much just eat a salad like anyone else though kale is particularly hard to chew and may take a bit longer.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby noelalexis2000 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:38 am

Thank you, I do tend to eat to fast at times. At first I thought it was sprays on the lettuce but even organic will do it. Especially romaine and even leafy greens. I have notice the little mixed lettuces seem to not bother me so much. I am trying to eat more kale, collards and I love swiss chard. The swiss chard seems okay when cooked for me. Do you think that green juice might be a possibility since it is a drink. Guess I will try it and let you know. Thanks again, for answering my post!
noelalexis2000

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:14 am

Just start with very small amounts and gradually increase every few days until you get to whatever you think a serving to be. It may just take time for your digestion to adapt
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:13 pm

it is ok to cook greens too. I do not like raw kale or collards. I like mine cooked, very well. Swiss chard if young is ok raw to my stomach.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby noelalexis2000 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:56 pm

I like them cooked as well but thought maybe I could get more of the nutrient value if I juiced them. I really guess cooked is better than not at all. I think swiss chard is my favorite.
noelalexis2000

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:52 am

well I can put away a lot of cooked greens. I really love them in everything.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning