7-Layer Casserole Recipe, Anyone?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

7-Layer Casserole Recipe, Anyone?

Postby pippin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:29 am

In the Lounge, a member posted the following comment about 7-Layer Casserole. I'm wondering if anyone has this recipe? I really want to give it a try this weekend. :-) Thanks for the suggestion SandyINNY:

[i]"If you want a hot covered dish, try "Seven Layer Casserole". Unfortunately, I do NOT have the recipe at hand. (Perhaps you can make an URGENT request for it on the Recipe Board?) If I can remember correctly, it has a layer of sliced raw potatoes on the bottom, then a layer of beans, some other layers containing veggies and other starches and it is topped with a layer of frozen corn. A layer of chopped onions is put in it, too, I think. (I usually ADD a layer of chopped raw collard greens as one of the middle layers -- as my added extra-special touch.) The SPECIAL ingredient is some fat-free, vegan tomato sauce (and any extra herbs/spices you want). It is added mid-way through the layers and over the top layer. This whole thing is covered and baked (in a rectangular casserole dish) until all of the raw stuff in it is done -- up to an hour? (I can't remember. You really need the original recipe. Anyway, it is DELICIOUS!)"[/i]
Just Keep Swimming!
pippin

Re: 7-Layer Casserole Recipe, Anyone?

Postby S B » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:53 am

I'll try to look for it and post it. (Things have calmed down and now I am just waiting for the company to arrive.)

Also, I think the very bottom layer is uncooked brown rice that cooks as the casserole cooks.
---------

EDIT:

Yipeee! I found it! (It originally came off of the OLD McDougall Message Board that was on the VegSouce site.)

Seven Layer Casserole
from The McDougall Health-Supporting Cookbook
[Edit 2: I see from below that 3/4 cup of water is in the original recipe. This was left out of the version I copied from the message board. (I had often wondered about that!) Anyway, 1/2 cup of it is poured over the sauce on the bottom half and 1/4 cup of it is pour over the sauce on the top half.]

Ingredients for Bottom Half
Layer 1 cup each of the following in a 9" x 13" baking pan/casserole dish:
* Uncooked brown rice
* Cooked kidney beans, drained (can use canned)
* Diced raw potatoes
* Frozen green peas

Then pour one 8 oz. can of tomato sauce over it. (NOTE: Some use more sauce and/or add some water to the sauce.)

Ingredients for Top Half
On top of the tomato sauce, layer 1 cup each of the following:
* Diced raw green pepper
* Frozen corn kernels
* Diced raw onions

Then sprinkle with black pepper to taste and pour one 8 oz. can of tomato sauce evenly over the top. (NOTE: Some use more sauce and/or add some water to the sauce.)

Directions:
Cover and bake for 1 hour in a preheated 350-degree oven; then uncover and bake for an additional 30 minutes.

SB's NOTE: I usually add a layer of chopped raw collard greens between the beans and potatoes and mix a few ounces of water with the sauce. Plus, I often sprinkle a little Italian seasoning on top of most every layer to perk up the tomato sauce -- which should be a McD-legal type, of course.
------

I used to cook this casserole a LOT in the beginning. However, I have not prepared it, lately. Need to make it again, real soon!

Happy McDougalling!
Last edited by S B on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
`
I believe we McDougallers can have a loud enough voice to influence enough people to cut back on livestock consumption/farming that we CAN have a positive impact on global warming -- if we REALLY try!
S B

Postby bancha » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:07 pm

I found this on another site and it claims to be McDougalls Seven Layer Casserole. I hope it is the right one

From: http://www.chef2chef.net/recipes/recipe ... 7720.shtml

Title: Seven Layer Casserole
Yield: 6 Servings

Ingredients

6 potatoes; sliced
1 lg onion; sliced
2 carrots; sliced
1 green pepper; sliced
1 zucchini; sliced
1 c corn (fresh or frozen)
1 c green peas (fresh or frozen)

----------------------OPTIONAL VEGETABLES-----------------------------
1 mushrooms
1 broccoli
1 green beans

------------------------------SAUCE-----------------------------------
3 c tomato sauce
1/4 c low-sodium tamari
1 ts ground thyme
1 ts dry mustard
1 ts basil
2 ts chili powder blend
1/2 ts cinnamon
1/8 ts oregano
1/8 ts sage
2 tb parsley flakes

Instructions

Prep time 30 mins. Cook time 1 1/2 hrs

Layer vegetables in large casserole in order given. Use optional
vegetables as desired. Mix ingredients of sauce together. Pour over
vegetables. Bake, covered, in a 350 degree oven for about 1 1/2 hours.

Helpful hints: Other vegetables may be used, according to your
preference. This dish is easy to prepare ahead and hold in the oven
for a company dinner. Serve with whole grains or bread and a green
salad.

From "THE McDOUGALL PLAN" page 309 and 310. FROM: BOB JERUCHIM
(BPPK47A)
bancha

Postby bancha » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:12 pm

Woops - found another one on this site: As posted by Michelle in 2007 Is it the right one this time? How many ways can you make a seven layer casserole??

Seven Layer Casserole
In The McDougall Health-Supporting Cookbook, Volume Two
By Mary McDougall

Servings: 6-8 My own comments are in parentheses
Preparation Time: 20 mins.
Cooking Time: 1 ½ hrs.
(cooked beans needed)

1 cup of each of the following:
raw brown rice (I use short grain or jasmine brown rice)
cooked kidney beans (I use canned)
potatoes, diced
frozen green peas
green peppers, diced
frozen corn kernels
onions, diced

2 – 8 oz. cans tomato sauce (I use more because this dish tends to be too dry for my taste as is)
¾ cup water (May need a little more)
freshly ground black pepper

Using a large casserole dish (I use a 9x13 glass dish), layer the rice, beans, potatoes, and peas. Sprinkle with some pepper, if desired. Pour 1 – 8 oz can (I use at least 1 1/2 cans)of tomato sauce over the layers, then pour ½ cup water in. Continue layering the green pepper, corn and onions. Sprinkle with a little more black pepper. Pour in the second can (same as above) of tomato sauce and the remaining ¼ cup of water.

Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, then uncover and continue to cook for 30 mins longer.

HELPFUL HINTS: May be prepared ahead up to baking time. May also be used to stuff vegetables.
bancha

Postby pippin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Thanks! That is going to be perfect for this cold, snowy weekend.
Just Keep Swimming!
pippin

Postby ruupyet » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:56 pm

This looks really good but I am concerned about the rice cooking with so little liquid. Has anyone had a problem with this?
ruupyet

Postby pippin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:41 pm

I made it this weekend and it was great. Terrific comfort food. I added about 1/4 cup water to each layer of tomato sauce, and that took care of the rice and added a bit of moistness.

This recipe is definitely a keeper for me.
Just Keep Swimming!
pippin

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning