Home Remedies

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Home Remedies

Postby Pacificfords » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:36 am

I was just thinking it would be fun to hear about what home remedies people use for medical conditions. :)

I have two...

I talked with an acupuncturist about my kidney disease and she said I should be doing Castor Oil Packs. I had to google it. There is lots of information about it. I don't know how it works, but I have been putting them on my kidneys. It is hard to know what is making me better... the diet, the meds, the packs... :?: But... I figure it can't hurt, and I am getting better, so why not. :)

The other thing I do is for my leg cramps. I was having severe leg cramps ealier this summer, before I was diagnosed. My parents and grandma told me to put a bar of soap in my bed. :shock: So, I tried it. (Irish Spring... it was all I had) It worked. I have not had any leg cramps as long as that soap is in the bed. Strange for sure. I tried to google about it, but there is little information, other than people that agree... it works. I even took a bar of soap to the hospital in July and the nurses said I wasn't the first to do it. :D

What about you... any home remedies that work for you?
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Re: Home Remedies

Postby Jillann » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:47 am

hummm... LOL
I was told by a health guru a couple years back when asking what I could do to help my mother with leg cramps she was having almost nightly... he told me get a bar of pure lavender soap & place it under the bed pad and sheets at the foot of her bed... I did so & she had no leg cramps that night or next and hasn't had the problem at all now... I was amazed... LOL but he did say it had to be pure lavender soap... hmmmm guess all kinds of soaps work... LOL :)

this will be fun to see what everyone does for different things... :)
Jillann

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:50 am

LOL -- I think you're both proof that the placebo effect is a very effective "home remedy." :D
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Pacificfords » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:06 pm

ETeSelle wrote:LOL -- I think you're both proof that the placebo effect is a very effective "home remedy." :D

I thought that also at first, but it wasn't that. :) I don't know if there is a chemical in soap or how it works exactly, but it isn't a mind-trick. I had my husband test it because I am like that...lol. He pulled the soap out of the bed on random nights when I wasn't aware of it... I had horrible leg cramps on those nights. It was easy for me to test it because my leg cramps were nightly.

I dunno... I would think someone had tested the science behind it, but I really can't find anything that explains it. And, from what I have heard... most bars of soap work. :D
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby LJ » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:59 pm

Duct tape on warts. My son had a wart on his thumb that wouldn't go away. Had been to the doctor to have it 'frozen' 3 times. Finally heard about duct tape. Just changed the tape every day. Went away and never returned.

Vinegar for nail/foot fungus. Theres a long thread somewhere on here pertaining to that topic.

Vinegar for sun burns.

I have a large aloe vera plant for burns.

I know I have more but can't think of them off the top of my head.

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:01 pm

Come now. Soap on your bed doesn't do squat. Sheesh!!
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby circle city vegan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:16 pm

Mine is loads of fresh garlic for colds. So much that any sick person won't come near you.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wP3S3L8/]
[/url]

Vigilance requires effort until it does not require any effort.
circle city vegan

Postby Pacificfords » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:34 pm

ETeSelle wrote:Come now. Soap on your bed doesn't do squat. Sheesh!!

Well.. my happy, cramp free legs (for almost 4 months now) would disagree with you. :nod: :lol: I just can't give you any science to back it up... but I am okay with that because I am pain free. :D
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Pacificfords » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:35 pm

LJ wrote:Duct tape on warts. My son had a wart on his thumb that wouldn't go away. Had been to the doctor to have it 'frozen' 3 times. Finally heard about duct tape. Just changed the tape every day. Went away and never returned.

I have heard that before. So much cheaper than the medical process to remove them! :)
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby Jillann » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:52 pm

yes if it works then work it... :)
it seems that it has worked for two people so I say there has to be something to it...
will be seeing my health guru next month so I will ask him to explain the reasonings as to why this works... :)

yes yes duct tape for warts is super... :)
Jillann

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:53 pm

Pacificfords wrote:Well.. my happy, cramp free legs (for almost 4 months now) would disagree with you. :nod: :lol: I just can't give you any science to back it up... but I am okay with that because I am pain free. :D

You're also McDougalling.

As a barefoot hoof trimmer, I just LOVE it when clients say, 6 mos after I started trimming for them, "My horse's feet are SO much better since I started using this Majikal Supplement." :roll: Riiiight. My trimming had nothing to do w/ it. <sigh>
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

I have heard of that soap in bed thing. I forgot all about it. I'll have to tell Mom. I only get those darn cramps a couple times a year. I stand on a cold floor to get rid of them while they are happening. She gets them often though.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Tazi752000 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:31 pm

I use ginger tea for nausea and inflammation.

We also take daily doses of mushroom teas and ginseng tea. These are supposed to build the body and prevent tumors among other things. It's always hard to tell if they are working though because it's such a long term preventative effect. Though my dog had a tumor which we had cut out last year and then earlier this year she had a few seizures so we started giving her a special mushroom blend broth in with her food and she hasn't had a seizure or a tumor since then. I researched the seizures and it said it could be caused by brain tumors but the medical treatment for it was outrageously expensive and not worth the physical pain for a 13 y/o dog.
Tazi752000

Postby Pacificfords » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:48 pm

ETeSelle wrote:You're also McDougalling.

I didn't start McDougall eating until September. So I was already going on two - three months with no cramps.

I still have the cramps when I am not in bed. I get them sometimes when I am in my recliner and fall asleep. Not fun.

Jillann wrote:yes if it works then work it... :)
it seems that it has worked for two people so I say there has to be something to it...

Actually, when I googled it... there are lots of people and websites devoted to the fact that it works, but again... no one can explain why and many are shocked that it works. There are many who say it is all in the mind and shoot it down... but seemingly none of those people have tried it. :nod:
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
Pacificfords

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:59 pm

Well, I'll bow out of this discussion. But the placebo effect is FAR stronger than most people give it credit for and can apply in more places than one would imagine. ;)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Next

Return to The Lounge