healthy rewards and HDHP

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

healthy rewards and HDHP

Postby Tazi752000 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:47 am

Insurance is changing and people at my job about freaked recently because our company is changing over to a High Deductible Health Plan. For a family the deductible is $5200 but my company is putting in $2600 and the monthly premium is only $66. So I can put in an extra $216 into an HSA per month to cover the rest of the deductible and if I don't use it then it rolls over to next year. The plan then pays 100% for most things after the deductible is met. They also offer Healthy Rewards of up to $1000 for filling out and participating in health assesments and fitness and nutrition programs.

Our current PPO plan charged about $300/month and since starting the McDougal plan, noone in my family has even been to the doctor this year and our only medical expenses have been my husband's asthma inhalers for when he has problems breathing. (I've noticed he barely uses it anymore). So our medical expenses for the year were probably under $1000 but we spent over $3600 in premiums alone. Now that money will just be saved for future use. I absolutely love this plan! Finally a plan that rewards people for being healthy and forces those who choose not to be to cover more of their own expenses.

So does anyone else have this type of plan available. What do you think about it?
Tazi752000

Re: healthy rewards and HDHP

Postby nomikins » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:49 am

I opted in for this at my company the first year they offered it. It's called Consumer Driven Health Plan here. Similar to yours, we get money deposited which rolls over year to year.

For next year, if I and my husband take the pledge to be tobacco free, we get $100 off per month from the premium. I get an addtional $50 off per month for getting my biometric screening done (bloodwork, etc.). The biometric screening will be done in my office this coming Monday.

As a result, I will see only a minimal increase for my health insurance next year. I believe it's $86/month for both me and my husband.

Fortunately, we are both healthy, and neither of us has been to a doctor in almost three years.
nomikins

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:28 pm

I would LOVE having this made available to us.

Last year we were told that to "earn" a lower deductible and lower monthly charges for the insurance, we had to participate in the program the company offered. We decided to not participate just out of general orneriness. :unibrow: The healthy living newsletter they send each month always has a horrible recipe in it for something like sauteed chicken breast (no skin) in olive oil (heart healthy) with a nice salad (olive oil in the dressing). So I doubt they have anything to teach us. :\
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Tazi752000 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:00 pm

nomikins wrote:For next year, if I and my husband take the pledge to be tobacco free, we get $100 off per month from the premium.

Nomikins-

wow that's a pretty good incentive. Not only will you save the cost of the cigarettes but you also get the $100 off! You could almost buy a new car with that savings!
Tazi752000

Postby merriweather » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:20 pm

I sure wish we had that. Jim is over 65 but still works to cover me. It is over 300 for the two of us. But since I am still on insulin, it would cost tons to do without.
I don't know what my hmo would concider healthy. I take classes, which are free, but they always go the healthy meat, healthy oil, carb restriction route. SO THey would probably think I was not being cooperative. :\
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Postby nomikins » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:43 am

LOL, Tazi, I don't even smoke now!

As for the savings, this keeps my premium from going up, so I'm not putting more money out of pocket to start with. Glad to keep it in my pot instead of someone else's. :)
nomikins

Postby frozenveg » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:06 am

I administer the health insurance plan at my work. We only have 26 employees, with 14 participating, so there are no options, just the one plan. We have a HDHP, with $1500 as the individual deductible, and we are mandated to place $750 in their accounts every year. We have always pad the entire premium for he employee, and ask them to pay the premium for any family members. The monthly premium for an individual just went (!) down last year from $1200 to $700, but no one so far has opted to insure their family members, because the premiums are so high.

I'm covered on DH's plan, so I don't have first-hand experience, but most folks really struggle to come up with the rest of the deductible--and then of course, it only covers 80% of the rest of the expenses. We only put $62.50 (1/12th of $750) in the accounts each month, so they are not getting all the money up front.

I would have pumped for a more traditional plan, with co-pays for doctor visits, etc., so folks could at least get basic care for small amounts, but Alaska is not a popular place with insurers. The prmiums were outrageous.

So you have to balance whether that high deductible is achievable for you. If you broke your leg, that $$ will be used up pretty quickly, but, except for what the employer puts in, it's all out of your pocket.

The other thing to consider is that if you DON'T use the money in the HSA, it is taxable, so you have to plan for that, too. You need to add that in to your tax preparation each year.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Tazi752000 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:09 pm

merriweather wrote:I sure wish we had that. Jim is over 65 but still works to cover me. It is over 300 for the two of us. But since I am still on insulin, it would cost tons to do without.
I don't know what my hmo would concider healthy. I take classes, which are free, but they always go the healthy meat, healthy oil, carb restriction route. SO THey would probably think I was not being cooperative. :\

Merriweather- How long have you been doing the McDougal plan? I've heard alot of people say they were able to go off insulin after awhile on this plan.

Also check around at pharmacy's. Our local Giant Eagle has a deal where some diabeties medication is only $4 per month.
Tazi752000

Postby merriweather » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:36 pm

I have been McD for just over a yr. Although I am not off all insulin, I am very pleased at my progress.
I used to take 100 u of Lantus--a long term type ,each night.
30 u of Novalog--short term at each meal.
Now I take 36u of Lantus and 6 of Novalog
And it is moving down.
I have lost 45 lbs.
We have Kaiser insurance. I had been without insurance for almost two years. It was scary.
Shortly after we were covered again, My husband had cancer on his eyelid. We were glad to have coverage. He is fine now, btw.
Also the Dr we got with Kaiser, is the one who showed us the McD website.
Oh, and those 4 dollar prescriptions are for generic. Lantus is not generic. And to get a prescription, you have to have a dr. crazy circle.
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Postby Tazi752000 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:10 am

Merriweather. I do believe the Novalog is one of the covered ones. Though I don't know if you have Giant Eagle's near you.
Tazi752000

Postby merriweather » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:33 am

I am glad you are concerned , but right now I will stick with my health coverage. I am blessed to have a husband willing to work, and keep the coverage.
I am glad there are ways out there for people who do not have coverage.
And I am working myself off meds , as well.
Thank heaven for this plan and finding a way to better health. I followed Drs. plans for 20 yrs and got steadily worse. Now I am getting steadily better. Nice.
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Return to The Lounge