Just Saying "Hi" to Everyone

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Just Saying "Hi" to Everyone

Postby Jan Tz » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:02 am

I just wanted to say hello to everyone here. It's been a long time since I have posted anything, although I do stop by to read posts from time to time.

I've had a very difficult time McDougalling for the past three or four years; my digestive system has changed over the past few years and the starches are more difficult to handle. So I do what I can when I can.

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well. My heart is with you all; just waiting for the colon to catch up. :)
Last edited by Jan Tz on Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Tz

Postby Sandie » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:16 am

Hi Jan,

Sorry to hear you are still dealing with the digestive issues. I've been dealing with medical issues myself so I understand how difficult it can be.

I think of you often and still think fondly of you and our walks! :)

Wishing you the best!

Sandie
Have a great day!!
Sandie

http://www.geocities.com/sandieb101/Menu2.html

~ Although I need to lose more, I'm taking baby steps with small goals! ~
Sandie

Postby hope101 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:23 am

Hi, Jan. I hope things continue to improve for you. I don't think our paths have crossed before, but I just wanted to say how much I appreciate you sharing your quick bread recipes with the board. I make them often. :D
hope101

Postby Lin » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:07 am

Hi Jan,
Glad to see you checking in again! I'm sorry to hear that you're still having problems. Have you ever tried emailing Dr. McDougall and asking his opinion of what you could do for your symptoms?

I miss your posts. Take care and let us hear from you more often. Those of us who remember you well, miss you a lot!

:-D
Lin

Let all that you do be done in love.
(1 Cor. 16: 14)
Lin

Postby groundhogg » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:24 am

Great to hear from you!

Are you feeling any better by now?
groundhogg

Good to hear from you, Jan!

Postby Becky » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:36 am

I don't post as often as I used to any more since the format of the Discussion Board changed. I feel like we are all in separate cubicles now, harder to see what the flavor of any given day is without going into all the separate categories (cubicles). I liked the VegSource format where everything was displayed in a linear fashion. I guess I'm just going to have to get with it and quit moping about change! LOL!!

Anyway, good to hear from you, I've always enjoyed reading your posts. I'm sorry to hear your digestive situation isn't right yet. Mine has changed over the past 3-4 years as well, and I don't know what to attribute this to. I know you have traced your situation to your bout with the chicken pox. The only thing I can think that has contributed to my issues is a trip to Baja Mexico I took around that time. I got the travelers revenge, and it seems to me things have never been quite right since.

I did a lot of research on this topic, and found a helpful website:

www.helpforibs.com

I also started using fiber supplements on a daily basis about a year ago, which has helped a lot. I had been using BeneFiber (hydrolyzed guar gum), but they recently changed their product to a wheat based fiber. I also use acacia (purchased from the above website) which is just as effective, but doesn't dissolve as readily as the guar gum. I can't find any product now that is pure guar gum, so will probably just get used to the acacia. I don't know if any of this will help you, but maybe just some things to think about if you haven't already.

Take Care,

Becky
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby Donna R » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:27 pm

Hi Jan, hope your digestive problems are soon gone!

Becky, I see guar gum for sale on the internet. one site is iherb.com where I've ordered other things, they have the Now brand. here's another site. hope you find what you want!
http://www.herballoveshop.com/product.asp?PID=10525
~ Donna
Donna R

Jan Tz ... Re: digestive issues, starches

Postby yamster » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:25 am

Jan Tz wrote:I've had a very difficult time McDougalling for the past three or four years; my digestive system has changed over the past few years and the starches are more difficult to handle. So I do what I can when I can.
... just waiting for the colon to catch up.

So good to hear from you again, Jan. It sounds like your issues are also my issues. The only starch I can eat is the sweet potato. And I thank God every single day that I am able to enjoy that precious, delicious, nutritious starch and digest it without any problems at all (pumpkin & squashes, too). Are you able to eat sweet potatoes and squashes? Without these foods I, too, would have a hard time McDougalling because I can't digest any other grains or starches (no white potatoes either) without serious problems. I fully empathize with your situation.

Someone mentioned the website http://www.helpforibs.com. I also found this site extremely helpful and recommend it. There I learned that adding 1T. psyllium 3x per day was what I needed. My IBS went away after starting that regimen and continuing it daily -- along with eliminating culprit grains & starches.

I agree with you that without the satisfaction of starches, McDougalling can be difficult. (Without the sweet potato I don't know if I could do it!) My hope is that you will find some starch that you truly enjoy and can easily digest -- and that your condition overall improves. Please keep us posted on how you're progressing. Best wishes!
Grateful for today.
yamster

Postby Jan Tz » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:47 pm

Thank you, Yamster and everyone, for your greetings and well-wishes. I do love sweet potatoes and they seem to be pretty easy to digest. I can eat peas and corn now, too, and seem to be doing a lot better with white potatoes. I have eaten beans for two meals this week and haven't had any problems. I still have frequent set-backs, but overall there has been much improvement. It was this realization that this seems to be coming to an end that prompted me to post the other day. My re-introduction to McDougalling and the board!
Jan Tz

Postby groundhogg » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:59 am

This stuff helped me a bunch before I finally got better (by getting 100% gluten free -- better finally after six months of that and now over a year gluten free!)--

Here is a review about the product, including recent changes:

http://www.irritable-bowel-syndrome.ws/ ... antage.htm

This stuff helped me live through some bad digestive times...now that I'm gluten free, I no longer depend on this, or anything else, to feel good and eat good too. I liked it cuz it's non-medicine, cheap, and best of all, it REALLY WORKS!
groundhogg

Donna R - comment/question on the Guar Gum

Postby Becky » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:17 am

Hi Donna,

Thanks for the info on the Guar Gum. I can't access the link you provided from my work PC, but I'll send it home and take a look. I have a feeling, however, that this won't be partially hydrolized guar gum, which is how it is used in a fiber supplement. Guar Gum that you find in natural foods stores and probably on the website you sent is used as a thickener in cooking (such as salad dressings) and will not dissolve in liquids the way the HGG does. But I will definitely check it out, and thanks again for sending me the information!

:-)

Becky
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby Jan Tz » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm

After a few days of trying to return to McDougalling, I have to admit, it just isn't working. My innerds are in a knot and it is very uncomfortable. I need to back off for a while and try this again at a later date.

Improvement is happening, but it's just very very slow.

See y'all as soon as I can!
Jan Tz

Return to The Lounge