Dr. McDougall`s Asian Entrees

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Dr. McDougall`s Asian Entrees

Postby HealthFreak » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:11 pm

Has anyone tried these? Are they a new product? I found them by accident while shopping at Pangea.

http://www.veganstore.com/

They are on the home page under Featured Products

http://www.veganstore.com/167%20%20%20% ... CURRY.html
Last edited by HealthFreak on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." Henry David Thoreau
HealthFreak

Re: Dr. McDougall`s Asian Entrees

Postby Starchyme » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:19 pm

Thanks for pointing that out. I never heard of them. We have all the soups, dry and prepared, in our WFM. I love Asian food, so will have to try them.

P.S. Just checked this website and they aren't listed. Strange!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Carol » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:44 pm

I haven't tried or even seen them, but they look interesting. I'll have to check my store more closely now. However, the 460-580 grams of sodium seems quite high/over the top.
Carol

Postby Letha.. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:51 pm

Yum! I wonder why we haven’t heard about them before.
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby HealthFreak » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:05 pm

HealthE1 wrote:P.S. Just checked this website and they aren't listed. Strange!

You didn't see them in the middle of the page near the bottom under Featured Items? That is weird, I just clicked the link and they came up.

Try this one.

http://www.veganstore.com/167%20%20%20% ... CURRY.html
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." Henry David Thoreau
HealthFreak

Postby bob2200 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:15 pm

HealthE1 wrote: Just checked this website and they aren't listed. Strange!

I don't think Dr. McDougall has any current involvement with/ownership in the Dr. McDougall branded foods. They don't meet the Jeff Novick dietary recommendations, particularly in salt content. Note other things such as white rice and white flour.
bob2200

Postby Starchyme » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:23 pm

Hmmmm, I wonder why he allows his name to be on them in that case? I agree with the salt content. I used to love the soups. Now they really are too salty for my taste and I use them only in a pinch on rare occasions.

But, still, I wonder how the new product is!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Rob » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:23 pm

I love Asian food too but have not seen these products. They are non-GMO which is especially appealing.
Rob

McDougall and RightFoods

Postby John McDougall » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:23 pm

No salt, no sale!

Although I do not own the company any longer, I do have the opportunity to test and approve all new products.

The company is Dr. McDougall's RIGHTfoods, not PERFECTfoods.

The goal is to produce a great tasting product that avoids animal products and added oils - the two biggest villains.

Salt, sugar, and refined flours are second tier players in my opinion. Ideally, for nutrition, these would be gone too - but for the greater good, they are present in rightfoods and many of Mary's recipes.

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby Starchyme » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:36 pm

Healthyfreak, I was talking about this website. I did see it listed at Pangea.

I am not salt free and definitely will try them. I just have cut back my sodium intake alot and things that may not have an unusual amount of salt usually taste too salty to me these days.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Katydid » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:06 am

Thanks Dr. McDougall for popping in. I personally like the soup cups for camping and I am especially am grateful for the availablitiy of gluten-free options. Sodium is not an issue for me, if anything my blood pressure runs low :D . I will definately be getting the new gluten-free Asian cups. Hope they show up at Meijer soon. They stock all your other soups.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Re: McDougall and RightFoods

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:40 am

John McDougall wrote:The goal is to produce a great tasting product that avoids animal products and added oils - the two biggest villains.

Salt, sugar, and refined flours are second tier players in my opinion. Ideally, for nutrition, these would be gone too - but for the greater good, they are present in rightfoods and many of Mary's recipes.

Thanks so much for posting. I agree. I am BEYOND thrilled w/ the new ready-to-serve soups--if I were eating nothing else that would be a bad thing b/c they ARE pretty high in salt. But for lunch a few days a week? They are AWESOME and a great addition to my diet. I add almost no salt when I cook, so a little in soup is just fine. It's really hard to find similar soups with good taste and with no added fat/animal products--they are a great addition!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:14 am

I agree with the ready made soups. I love the roasted red pepper and tomato. I keep it to the serving size to go with my salad.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

I love that you can get McD soups on Amazon.

Postby carperson » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:06 pm

I just ordered a book I really wanted on Amazon, and to bring my order up to 25.00 I always add McD soups (really like them for occasional use!) to get free shipping. A win-win situation.
carperson

Postby ldiddy » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:23 pm

I hope these are as good as the previous products! I keep a case or 2 in my trunk for emergency lunches. I stuff them in my briefcase and luggage when I travel. For me the split pea and miso ramen have been my favorite and I buy them by the case.
I look forward to trying the new products, maybe my local whole foods will have them?
Larry
ldiddy

Next

Return to The Lounge