Veggie pizza

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Veggie pizza

Postby fiddler3 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:19 pm

I am experimenting with Vegetable pizzas. I like the Gourmet Vegetarian Pizza from Papa Murphy's, sans cheese, but I am looking for a substitute for the garlic white sauce on the bottom. You know, a white sauce, alfredo type sauce, that seems to often show up at the base of veggie pizzas. Last night I made a cheeze sauce for the top, a cooked sauce from the fat free vegan site...pretty good.

Any thoughts?

Also, what is the name of that soy parmesan which is supposed to be so good...that might solve my little problem right there!

fiddler3
fiddler3

Postby KareninTN » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:16 pm

Are you talking about the sprinkle cheese Mary McD mentioned in a recent newsletter? It's called Parma Zaan Sprinkles and the primary ingredient is almond meal! I ordered some from The Vegetarian Express on Mary's recommendation, and I'll say it is exceptional; well worth it.

karenturtle
McDougalling since summer, 2005. Maintaining my 100 pound weight loss since summer, 2007. My Star McDougaller stories: video written
KareninTN

Postby chrisv » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:11 am

Last night I brought home a Papa Murphys pizza without cheese, with pineapple. Everyone thought it was great, we did have some parma zaan.

I was thinking of ordering a regular pizza with zuchini and some of the other veggies they put on the gurmet vegetarian. The veggies on the regular vegetarian are not the kind my family would like, they probably wouldn't like the garlic sauce either.

My attempts at homemade whole wheat pizza crust havent been too successful. The non-vegans in the family do like cheese-less Papa Murphy pizza, so that is a good thing.
The pounds you add two-by-two
You take off one-by-one
chrisv

Postby fiddler3 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:09 pm

Hi,

I made pizza for lunch, and The family nixed the "cheesy sauce", although I thought it was ok.

I made homemade crust, with about 1/3 c applesauce substituted for the oil. the crust was tender enough, and I cooked it on parchment, and it browned beautifully. I love parchment, and would rather use that than pam any day!

fiddler3
fiddler3

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning