’09 Summer Salad Photo Challenge

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

’09 Summer Salad Photo Challenge

Postby Letha. » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:38 pm

I love soups & stews but for the warmest days of summer a salad sounds more appealing to me. So I’d like to challenge all you McDougallers out there to snap a photo of your favorite salad and post it in this thread with directions or a recipe to inspire the rest of us. Fruit, veggie, grain, potato, or pasta salad. Let’s see what you are eating this summer.
Letha

Rice salad

1 carrot, grated
1 stalk celery, diced
1 cucumber, seeded and diced
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
3 cups cooked & cooled brown rice

Dressing:
2 small limes, juiced
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons maple syrup

Mix lime juice, soy sauce, & maple syrup. Stir in veggies. Add rice. Allow to chill at least one hour.
Letha.

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:47 pm

I love cold rice salads and they are hard to find.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby TeriTX » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:58 pm

Letha, your rice salad looks delish! Here's one I'm enjoying often this summer:

Salad Spring Roll with a Soy/Lime Dipping Sauce

The "salad" is just lettuce, scallion, carrot, cilantro rolled up in a rice paper wrapper.

TeriTX

wow

Postby ncyg46 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:55 pm

those both look great...I don't even have the ambition today to make anything. Will find leftovers in the fridge!
ncyg46

Postby Plumerias » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:45 pm

TeriTX, instructions for the soy/lime dipping sauce please! We keep swearing we're going to learn how to make those spring rolls and have just never gotten around to it.

Letha, are there directions for total idiots somewhere on how to post photos? :? I would love to participate, I thought of a few things to play with last night when I should have been sleeping, but have absolutely no idea how to do photos here. Like, from my own computer files, not from an account somewhere?
Plumerias

Postby Letha. » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:00 pm

TeriTX, Yes please post the recipe for the dipping sauce. I’m really into soy sauce and lime right now. Your spring roll looks so yummy.

Plumerias, As far as I know you can’t upload photos from your computer directly to this forum. You have to use an image host. www.tinypic.com is a good one because it’s so easy and you don’t need to sign up for an account. If you push the quote button on any message with a photo it will show the code that was used to post the photo. Here is a thread with instructions for posting photos.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewt ... ting+photo

I’d love to see what you’ve been cooking up. :)
Letha
Letha.

Postby Letha. » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:32 am

Banana Berry Fruit Salad

So here I just sliced ½ a banana into the bottom of each bowl. Then rinsed a handful of strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries and divided them between the two bowls. This was a light evening snack for two. I thought this was heavenly. Now that I haven’t had any junk food for 10 months I am really enjoying fresh fruit. :)
Letha
Letha.

Postby TeriTX » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:30 pm

Those look wonderful!

I make the soy/lime dipping sauce very simply: just the juice of half a lime, a splash of soy sauce (or sometimes Bragg's Liquid Aminos) and a drizzle of Cajun Power garlic sauce.

I found the Cajun Power garlic sauce at Whole Foods in Baton Rouge, while on a road trip across Louisiana. It is good stuff! I can't find an Asian hot sauce without preservatives so decided to try this and it works well in the dipping sauce.
Last edited by TeriTX on Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeriTX

Postby TeriTX » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:31 pm

deleted a duplicate post
Last edited by TeriTX on Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeriTX

Postby TeriTX » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:38 pm

Here's Deconstructed Fruit Salad (yummy, yummy): watermelon, cherries, strawberries, mango and bananas.

The white platter was a recent find at the thrift store. I'm loving it this summer as I fill it with McDougall-friendly food. You'll be seeing it again soon! :-D

TeriTX

Postby Letha. » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:35 pm

Yum that fruit looks good Teri! I thought I was over cherries for the summer but now I want some more. The platter looks like it would be handy for all kinds of things. Thanks for directions on the sauce. :)
Letha
Letha.

Postby TeriTX » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:22 am

Tomatoes and Basil! (from my garden)

TeriTX

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:54 am

That is so pretty. Natural food is beautiful.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Letha. » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:08 pm

TeriTx,
From your garden? So pretty it made me want to cry.
Letha
Letha.

Postby TeriTX » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:52 pm

Welllll, that was the only tomato on the plant. It's just so hot here!

Letha, I mentioned your salad photo challenge on my blog and linked to it. Nobody except my sister (Judy in CA) ever reads my blog but I really wanted to share your wonderful idea.

http://12813fwtx.blogspot.com/

Faith in DC, did you ever see my offer of seed help on the gardening board? Let me know if I can help.
TeriTX

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals