beta blocker?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

beta blocker?

Postby kathiw » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:29 am

I am 52 years old and have made some lifestyle changes that are recommended in the Starch Solution.. My blood pressure has gone down to 122/80 but my doctor is still talking about beta blockers for my pulse rate- my resting pulse is 90-100/min and it has been this way all my life, I think- Is there anything that I can do naturally without resorting to taking this medicine? Will my heart really "wear out" prematurely? :?:
kathiw

Re: beta blocker?

Postby scooterpie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:47 am

What do you do when you exercise aerobically? I'm not a dr--just a fellow human--haha, but I'd be disturbed to have a resting pulse that high. For me it would signal that something is wrong.

Wearing your heart out (we're born with a finite number of beats and then we die) is a myth. Your dr may just be trying to appeal to your reluctance to take a medicine. If she/he is a cardiologist, get a second opinion. If not, perhaps get a cardiology workup to begin to find out what's going on.

I see you're 52--are you dealing with menopause? It was a total bitch for me where my heart was concerned. Found out I have sleep apnea, got it treated and I'm a happy camper! Well, it's a longer story with twists and turns, but . . .

I wish you well in figuring this out to your satisfaction!
scooterpie

Re: beta blocker?

Postby Burgess » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:32 pm

I am a layman, not a physician or scientist. Consider that carefully. This is not medical advice, only suggestions from a fellow sufferer from tachycardia.

kathiw wrote:I am 52 years old and have made some lifestyle changes that are recommended in the Starch Solution.
Which ones? Why not all of them?

What is your height? Your weight? (Your Body Mass Index?)

What exercise do you do daily?

How much alcohol, coffee, or tea do you drink?

My blood pressure has gone down to 122/80 but my doctor is still talking about beta blockers for my pulse rate- my resting pulse is 90-100/min and it has been this way all my life, I think- Is there anything that I can do naturally without resorting to taking this medicine?
I am in my fourth episode of tachycardia (in 20 years). Now at age 68, I take one medication, Metoprolol (a beta blocker), to suppress the rate ("normally" 120-130 in this episode, without medication, but 65 during most of my life).

I also now take Digoxin to suppress atrial flutter (a form of arrhythmia).

Will my heart really "wear out" prematurely?
As a layman, I have never heard or seen any proof that the heart has a set number of beats—or the knees a set number of movements, and so forth. The body can, to some extent, repair itself if conditions are right.

Here are my personal, layman's suggestions:
- Make all the lifestyle changes.
- Make sure you eat so that you are very lean.
- Make sure you eliminate all stimulants (coffee, black/green tea, alcohol, etc.).
- Consider drinking only a soothing herbal tea to see if it makes any difference. (It didn't for me.)
- Consider taking a beta blocker at a very low dosage. (Be aware that it might make you drowsy.) If that dosage doesn't work, then try the next dosage step up. Most doctors want to start mid range. For me, that was dangerously high.

PS, here is an article from the newsletters. It is not directly related, but it shows some of the controversies involved. http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2008nl/mar/fav5.htm
Burgess Laughlin, Star McDougaller
My books: http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com
My health weblog: http://anti-itisdiet.blogspot.com
Burgess

Return to Health Issues