Arthritis-diet-wine

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Arthritis-diet-wine

Postby mrfpratt » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:56 am

I finally made a connection but what to make sure I am not nuts! I have been religiously mcdougally for awhile - down 41 lbs!! I stopped treating myself to wine on weeknights about a month ago and would have a few glasses red or white fri/sat/sun. By Sunday my knee that has arthritis would be very painful - did not change anything about my nutrition but added wine.... This past weekend I didn't have wine Friday - Saturday my knee was fine - sat wine - Sunday bad knee!! There has to be a relation between the 2 but I have read wine is supposed to be good for arthritis!!!
mrfpratt

Re: Arthritis-diet-wine

Postby giddyupgin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:22 am

did the wine have sulfates in it? I don't drink wine as it gives me an immediate flush to the face..which I know is a inflammatory response....
Have a great ride as we ride through life...
from giddy up gin <^__~~ Wooo....hooo...

http://www.windowpanearts.blogspot.com
http://www.giddyupgin.blogspot.com
giddyupgin

Postby mrfpratt » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:38 am

Clos de bois and smoking loon are the suspects and they don't say sulfate free so they probably do
mrfpratt

Postby Katydid » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:14 am

There is a video on YouTube you should watch. It's called Sugar: The Bitter Truth. At one point, the doctor goes into the metabolism of glucose (from, say, a starchy potato) and contrasts it with the metabolism of ethanol (from acoholic beverages) and fructose (from orange juice). The results were that the glucose from starch had no negative effects on the body, but the metabolism of both ethanol and fructose produced compounds that raised triglycerides, blood pressure AND produced pro-inflammatory compounds. So your experiment is likely right on. Worth viewing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM&ob=av3e

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby blue » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:33 am

mrfpratt
I too noticed a connection between my pain and stiffness and red wine. I did get a huge reduction in pain by changing my diet, but it wasn't until I stopped drinking alcohol that I began having completely pain free days.
Blue
Success using WFPB diet to avoid steroid treatment for polymyalgia rheumatica. I don't hurt anymore :)
blue

Postby mrfpratt » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:30 am

Thank you everyone - my knee had finally calmed down 4 days after my last glass of wine - will have to find a new way to unwind and reward myself Any suggestion would be helpful!!
mrfpratt

Postby nicoles » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:55 am

mrfpratt wrote:Thank you everyone - my knee had finally calmed down 4 days after my last glass of wine - will have to find a new way to unwind and reward myself Any suggestion would be helpful!!

Chamomile tea! Or anything that you enjoy doing that is relaxing. Listening to music, taking a walk, or a bath.

It is a habit, the unwinding with a drink, and it will take a little time to feel normal when not doing it.

(BTW, I had the same alcohol-pain connection, and have not had a drink for more than a year.)
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Return to Health Issues