Recovering from Acute Gallbladder Attack

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Recovering from Acute Gallbladder Attack

Postby dlb » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:35 pm

Kiki -

I also had several severe gallbladder attacks before I changed my diet to McDougall. Haven't had one since. However, if I am not strick with my eating, I do feel it twinge.

When I had my attacks the doctors misdiagnosed me. It was my acupuncturist who properly diagnose it. After a treatment he gave me GCG tincture to take. It's a chinese herbal. It worked remarkably well. Fortunately, I haven't had to use it in years.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Donna
To read how the McDougall Program helped me reach my goals, go here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/donna_byrnes.html
dlb

Postby Kiki » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks, Donna. I think I'm over it. Fever is gone and I'm eating again. It's good to read from you and others that the diet at least prevents future attacks as long as it's strictly adhered to.
Kiki

Postby shell-belle » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:08 am

I think gallstones can still form in the liver once you have the gallbladder out.

I'm surprised no one on these boards is posting about liver/gallbladder flushes. What you can do is perform a simple liver flush. To do this flush you basically have to clean out your colon (very important!) and drink A LOT of apple juice for 3-5 days.
Then you eat absolutely no fat or protien for a day, and do not eat after 1:30 PM on this same day. At the end of the day you drink some epsom salts and water(this relaxes your liver ducts to let the stones out). And then right before you go to bed (at about 10PM) you drink a mixture of fresh grapefruit juice and olive oil and lie down immediately & go to sleep.
And after that, you should spend the next day pooping out a lot of little green stones, that's right, stones. These stones come from your liver, and believe me, you will be glad to get them out.
The beauty of the olive oil/grapefruit juice is that the oil is not actually digested. It flushes through the biliary tubes in the liver, pushing the
stones out ahead of it. So that way, the liver becomes unplugged (although it may take 6 or 7 flushes to get all the stones), and then everything works better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xrlk2Kr ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naZutqAm ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FhWlYfK ... re=related
shell-belle

Postby washbear » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:06 pm

I have a book that has instructions for a gall bladder flush (it's The Juice Lady's Guide to Juicing for Health by Cherie Calbom. Instructions begin on p. 329... I have an older edition of this book than what is shown on Amazon, so the page # might not be the same). I haven't tried it. I wasn't sure what the risk might be. But the instructions are similar to what you posted.

You mentioned it could take 6-7 flushes to get out all the stones. Do you do these back to back? And how do you know when you've got all the stones out?
"I'll be Pavlov, you be the dog." --William Stafford
washbear

Postby Kiki » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:09 pm

Shelle, thanks. I've read about gallbladder/liver flushes and am reluctant to try them. I have read that:

1.) the stones that are released are not actually gallstones, but instead salts formed by the citrus acid/oil combo. I haven't seen anyone test the expelled stones for cholesterol content yet, which would be a big indication of as to whether they are actually gallstones. I also haven't seen any "before and after" sonograms of the liver, gallbladder, or pancreas.

2.) they could be dangerous for someone having acute attacks because if they did work, trying to expel the stones that were large enough to cause acute symptoms in the first place may cause them to lodge again in the ducts and cause bigger problems.

I would be more ready to try something that dissolved the stones in situ, but I haven't found anything short of lasers that presents that possibility yet. So, for now I'm eating no overt fats, no: animal products, seeds or seed butters, nuts or nut butters, oils, olives, or avocados. I'm also avoiding caffeine ( :crybaby: ) and alcohol (which I didn't drink anyway).
Kiki

Postby washbear » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:12 pm

Does caffeine cause gall stones?
"I'll be Pavlov, you be the dog." --William Stafford
washbear

Postby Kiki » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:21 pm

It doesn't cause gallstones, but it is very taxing on the liver, which processes caffeine. That energy could go toward filtering cholesterol and other baddies that are actually contributing to gallstone formation.
Kiki

Postby shell-belle » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:07 pm

Kiki,

The apple juice is drunk frequently for
a few days preceding the olive oil in an attempt to soften the outer layer
of the stones so that large stones can pass easily through the bile duct.

some people who have tried it reported that they had passed a 'softened'
stone(s) that was theoretically too large to pass through their bile duct.

back in 1996 i met a nutritionist who was a friend of my brother. this woman had helped over a hundred people & of all the cases, only one had a stone get lodged in his bile duct, and it passed a couple days later. She said that the man was 97 years old and in pretty poor health but he wanted to try it anyway. Who knows, with his health, surgery
may have been a greater risk. maybe it's not stones that are passing - i've read some people say they are not actual stones but i know that i have done this liver cleanse 34 times since nov 1998 and I have gotten out
what look to be stones along with a lot of "sludge". i would not encourage anyone to do it that is fearful- i am just reporting what I have read and heard and what i myself have done.

read more here:

http://www.liverdoctor.com/index.php?pa ... ll-bladder

I read that cleansing your liver is one effective measure you can take for overall well being and disease prevention. Liver flushes stimulate elimination
of waste from the body, increases bile flow, improves overall liver function

We need to pamper the liver and I just wanted to report that for me cleansing my liver twice a year has been extremely beneficial.
shell-belle

Postby shell-belle » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:12 pm

washbear wrote:I have a book that has instructions for a gall bladder flush (it's The Juice Lady's Guide to Juicing for Health by Cherie Calbom. Instructions begin on p. 329... I have an older edition of this book than what is shown on Amazon, so the page # might not be the same). I haven't tried it. I wasn't sure what the risk might be. But the instructions are similar to what you posted.

You mentioned it could take 6-7 flushes to get out all the stones. Do you do these back to back? And how do you know when you've got all the stones out?

back in 1998 i did a series of 6 flushes 2-3 weeks apart. then i went to doing the flushes twice a year - spring and fall. i think i went by how i felt. after doing the initial 6 flushes 2-3 weeks apart, i just "felt" so much better.
shell-belle

Postby shell-belle » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:27 pm

meat eaters have 9 times the risk of getting gallstones than vegetarians do:
http://nutritionfacts.org/videos/choles ... allstones/
shell-belle

Previous

Return to Health Issues