3-minute blueberry pie for one

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

3-minute blueberry pie for one

Postby Dougalling » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:18 am

Snip into a 6" tortilla to get sunflower or pinwheel cuts. (I used yellow corn tortillas)

Place tortilla on a plate and moisten with 1 tsp of veg milk. (I use dream coconut/almond blend milk) (or you can use water).

Place the tortilla in a microwaveable cup or container.

Fill with plenty of frozen blueberries.

Microwave for 2 to 2.5 minutes. The tortilla will absorb the blueberry juices and become like pie crust.

Remove from microwave, sprinkle with cinnamon and one more tsp of veg milk.

Let cool and enjoy !

(My teeth turn so blue from the blueberries. I need to use red berries when I want to eat this pie in the presence of others.)
Last edited by Dougalling on Sat May 17, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dougalling

Re: 3-minute blueberry pie for one

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:11 pm

Great idea. And gluten free for those that need to be.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Boop » Mon May 05, 2014 2:32 pm

Hi, apologies if this is a dumb question. My family loves that almond milk/coconut milk combo. I thought I had read that we should not be having coconut products. Is that correct? Is the milk OK?

Thank you!
Boop

Postby CelticQ » Sun May 11, 2014 11:54 am

Thank you for this recipe! I will certainly give it a try. I am a dessert addict. I try...really I do...to just stick to starch, veg, and fruit, but once each day, I break down and have a candy bar. I've been looking for some alternatives to the candy. Your recipe will come in handy. Thanks, again! :)
CelticQ

Postby Dougalling » Mon May 12, 2014 9:54 am

Hi Boop

The coconut milk that comes in cans is totally different than the coconut milk in tetra packs.
The canned coconut milk is not recommended. The tetra pack coconut milk is a bit higher in fat than the other milks but is not off limits.
Dougalling

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon May 12, 2014 1:00 pm

And you can always just omit the coconut milk; a bit different flavor but still good. I like to use buckwheat manna or Essene bread that I make (gluten free by the way) as it has a sweet, cake like texture. I put a piece of that in a bowl and some frozen blueberries on top, a bit of cinnamon and vanilla and microwave for 15-30 seconds.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon May 12, 2014 1:02 pm

I use whole corn tortillas and lightly steam them to soften then wrap around a banana, short tour of the microwave to heat and soften the banana and--bananadilla!
GeoffreyLevens

Postby jamietwo » Tue May 13, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks for the great idea! I made a modified version for my teenager this evening, and it was a big hit!

I used one of the Engine 2 brown rice (gf) tortillas, and ran water over both sides. I pressed it into an oversized custard cup. I ran some water over 1/2 of 10oz bag of frozen blackberries, and added those. Folded the tortilla edges down over the top and sprinkled with a mix of cinnamon and sugar. Zapped for 2 minutes and a few seconds.
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Wed May 14, 2014 4:15 am

Jamie, brilliant!
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Dougalling » Wed May 14, 2014 7:57 am

Awesome Jamie, love it ! :-D
Dougalling

Postby shelahsegal » Sun May 25, 2014 1:07 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:I like to use buckwheat manna or Essene bread that I make (gluten free by the way) as it has a sweet, cake like texture.

Geoffrey, would you be willing to share your recipe for the buckwheat manna bread? TIA
shelahsegal

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun May 25, 2014 2:53 pm

Very happy to. It is super simple and lends itself well to additions like grated veg, I esp like carrot in it, and various seasonings
Mana Bread

Measure what ever grain(s) (or whole barley, whole oat groats, buckwheat, etc) into large a colander that will comfortably sit inside a large bowl (easiest way I think). Place colander in bowl and fill bowl w/ enough cool water to cover wheat and an inch or so more. If can't do this set up then improvise. 1000 ways it can be done. Jars work, just the bowl would work. You need initial soak then repeated rinses to keep just moist but not standing in water.

Soak the grain for at approx 8-12 (if using buckwheat only soak about 1-2 hours as it will get water logged) hours then rinse very well (here's where the colander makes it very easy!). Rinse bowl and drain. Allow colander of wheat to drain a minute or two so only wet but no more dripping. Place colander of wheat back in dry bowl and cover w/ plate, plastic bag, dish towel, anything. Repeat rinsing twice per day (or 3 times if it is very warm). You just want them to stay damp and get rinsed off so kooties don't grow but the wheat does.

As soon as the sprout part (white tail) is between the length of the brown berry to twice as long, it is time to make bread. This size gives best flavor. Less and it is too 'floury' and longer it gets too 'green' tasting and dense w/ nasty fibers.

Easiest method is grind in food processor. If you don't have one, a hand cranked meat grinder will work well. I suspect a Champion Juicer w/ nut butter making shield in place will also work. Grind until chunky smooth. You want to have a dough ball that sort of chases itself around in the food processor. You may need to grind in 2 or 3 batches to fit the food processor so just save it up in a mixing bowl. Dough will be uneven, little pieces of wheat berries and sticky, doughy stuff. Feel free to add anything you can imagine i.e. nuts, seeds, dried fruit bits, grated carrots, etc.

With water wet hands, shape into flattish loaves on cookie sheet, not too big so they cook/dry well (check out size in stores). I use 1/2 cup measure to control loaf/portions size. I use parchment paper as they will stick pretty badly unless you do that or use grease which I don't want to do. What shape the loaves are in will have a big effect on final product. If fairly thin 1/4-3/8 inch, chewier and less moist in side, if thicker, more moist inside.

Oven time: You can also make in dehydrator, it will just take longer at lower temp and not have the same “crust” (I like the crust). Lowest temp it will go. Mine sits at 170 degrees measured w/ candy making thermometer; same temp it says on oven's dig read out. At that temp, I have found 3 to 3 1/2 hours about right (varies with moisture content at start of course). Longer gets more crust, shorter time gets softer and less enzyme destruction. You can also make thin, flat sheet and get sort of all crust, cracker type result. You have to experiment a bit with this part as oven temps will vary and also wetness of your dough is a factor. Good idea, about 3/4 of the way through baking, peel off parchment by gently inserting a wide, stiff, thin spatula under each loaf from its edge and flip them over so both sides get the heat treatment and consolidate, they form a skin, almost a crust.

Store in fridge for about 5 days maybe a week, or freeze because this is pretty live and quite perishable.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby shelahsegal » Sun May 25, 2014 7:25 pm

Thanks so much, Geoffrey!

It sounds, though, like you need to have buckwheat that can sprout. The kind I usually cook (Bob's Red Mill raw buckwheat groats) definitely don't. Do you have a source?
shelahsegal

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun May 25, 2014 7:30 pm

Not in Ecuador but in US I just got whatever was in the bulk in my coop or WhoFo, it was hulled so tan colored and gave about 90% or better germination.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby shelahsegal » Mon May 26, 2014 3:50 am

Thanks.My Whole Foods doesn't have hulled buckwheat, but I'm sure I'll find it online...looking forward to trying this!
shelahsegal

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning