Microwave potato chips

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Microwave potato chips

Postby Quinda » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:28 am

I became concerned about the plastic with my chip maker. I now do them on my microwave oven tray with one layer of parchment paper on the tray. I can actually do more at a time this way and it works great.
Quinda

Re: Microwave potato chips

Postby Quinda » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:18 pm

I find the whole key to success is to use a mandolin to slice them. Otherwise they will not be thin enough. I did not soak them in cold water, nor did I dry them off after slicing. I did however have to dry the tray at the edges between batches, just by wiping briefly at the edge where water droplets had formed. I used russet potatoes and I'm sure that sweet potatoes would work just as well. The microwave tray is better than the plastic thing I had been using because it was a small plastic tray that required leaving the center vacant, thus allowing for smaller batches. I feel good about eating them now.
Quinda

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning