Vegan 'Beef' Stew

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vegan 'Beef' Stew

Postby indy107 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:16 am

New recipe from my blog.

I know a lot of you are not fans of processed vegan junk food - so be warned I do make this with Gardein Beefless Tips. I really like the texture - and the taste. However I don't see why you couldn't substitute Portabella Mushrooms in their place. Maybe I'll give that a try next! :)

http://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/vegan-beef-stew/

Vegan Beef Stew

Nothing screams ‘comfort-food’ like a big pot of homemade beef stew. Ok make that VEGAN beef stew.

Slow simmered veggies, potatoes, and mushrooms, in a rich, thick, gravy. Dinty Moore – eat your heart out.

I remember mom buying the huge cans of Dinty Moore for me and my dad. I swear I think dad could eat a whole can by himself, or maybe he did! This was a typical Indiana winter meal for me growing up, oh and don’t forget the basket of piping hot biscuits.

So now that I’m older and wiser (and vegan) – I had to improvise a little to capture that taste of home. I think I came pretty close. This recipe makes a good-sized pot, enough servings to take for my lunches all week, and some left over for dinners as well.

Nothing fancy about this stew, this is just a down-home, stick-to-your-ribs kinda meal.

Enjoy!

Ingredients for Vegan Beef Stew

1 red onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup veggie broth
1 package Gardein Beefless Tips
1/4 cup red wine
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 can diced tomatoes
8oz can tomato sauce
2 cups of low-sodium veggie broth
2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 tbs vegan worcestershire sauce
1 tbs kitchen bouquet
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 tsp thyme leaves
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
2 -3 carrots, sliced
1 cup frozen peas
1 stalk of celery, sliced
3 large yukon gold potatoes, cut into good sized chunks
1 cup sliced raw mushrooms
black pepper to taste

Directions

In a large stew pot, sauté the garlic and onions in the 1/4 cup of veggie broth
Cook on med-low heat until the onions are soft and translucent
Add 1 package of Gardein Beefless Tips and the wine
Stir until the frozen ‘beef’ tips are softened
Sprinkle the 2 tbls of flour over the mixture and stir to combine
Slowly start adding the rest of the ingredients – remember to keep stirring
Add the tomatoes and tomato sauce
Add veggie broth and seasonings
Finally add the chopped veggies and bring the stew to a boil
Turn down the heat and simmer on low for at least an hour until thickened

Notes for Vegan Beef Stew

I like to use Gardein Befless Tips in my stew. I really like the chunks of ‘meat’ and their chewy texture. They’re completely vegan, and made from vital wheat gluten and soy. I buy mine at my local grocery store and I’m sure Whole Foods would have them. But obviously if you’re avoiding soy, or are gluten intolerant – leave them out. Although I haven’t tried this yet, I don’t see why you couldn’t substitute Portabella Mushrooms in their place.

Worcestershire Sauce is NOT vegan as it is made from anchovies. Annie’s makes a vegan worcestershire sauce if you can find it. Leaving it out completely will only alter the taste a little. Or, in a pinch you could try A1 Sauce as a substitute, or even a tbls of balsamic vinegar.

Kitchen Bouquet should be in about any grocery store. Look for it next to the A1 & Worcestershire Sauces.
For tons of healthy Plant-Based, McDougall Friendly Recipes, check out my blog at :

https://www.brandnewvegan.com.
indy107

Re: Vegan 'Beef' Stew

Postby miranda2060 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:59 pm

This sounds delicious. I've used seitan chunks in a vegetable-lentil stew; I do enjoy the chewy "meat" texture now and then. Will give this recipe a try.

What kind of seasoning is Kitchen Bouquet?

EDIT: Sorry, folks, didn't realize I was running afoul of the rules. :oops: I don't really think a recipe with seitan is the same as meat and dairy....
Last edited by miranda2060 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
miranda2060

Postby indy107 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:58 pm

miranda2060 wrote:This sounds delicious. I've used seitan chunks in a vegetable-lentil stew; I do enjoy the chewy "meat" texture now and then. Will give this recipe a try.

What kind of seasoning is Kitchen Bouquet?

It's a 'browning' sauce, and is usually located next to the A1 and Worcestershire. To me it adds a richness to the broth/gravy.

For tons of healthy Plant-Based, McDougall Friendly Recipes, check out my blog at :

indy107

Postby miranda2060 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:55 am

Thanks, indy!
miranda2060

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:17 am

indy107 wrote:I know a lot of you are not fans of processed vegan junk food - so be warned I do make this with Gardein Beefless Tips.

It's really not a matter of not being "fans" of stuff like that--this is an item that is simply NOT part of the McDougall plan.

Ingredients: water, vital wheat gluten, soy protein isolate*, expeller pressed/canola oil, organic ancient grain flour (kamut®, amaranth, millet, quinoa), onion, natural flavors (from plant sources), modified vegetable gum, malted barley extract, yeast extract, garlic powder, onion powder, potato starch, organic cane sugar, sea salt, pea protein, carrot fiber, beetroot fiber, spices. rub: dehydrated vegetable (red bell pepper, garlic, onion), spices, organic cane sugar, salt. *non-genetically engineered soy and wheat.

http://gardein.com/products/beefless-tips/

The 3rd and 4th ingredients are items not recommended on this plan, period. IMO posting a recipe with this as an ingredient is no better than posting a recipe containing meat or dairy.

Yes, people can substitute, but a lot of newbies read these posts--they'll likely think it's perfectly OK. That's my problem with it. :(
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby Crider » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:47 am

Here's a youtube recipe for making your own seitan. Instead of using veggie broth, I have used before fake chicken broth or fake beef broth available in the bulk bins at the natural food store.

In a recipe such as this stew, you can just cut up the seitan dough and cook it with the vegetables — no need to precook it first.
Crider

Postby indy107 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:16 pm

ETeSelle wrote:Yes, people can substitute, but a lot of newbies read these posts--they'll likely think it's perfectly OK. That's my problem with it. :(

ETeSelle, I went back and read your Star McDougaller Story. I also read Dr McDougall's Newsletter and watched his video on Soy.

You're right. I need to be a better example - especially to the new folks. I am still new myself - so please forgive. I can assure you from now on any recipe I post on here will be McDougall Friendly.

Thanks for the kick in the butt. I needed that. :-D

indy107

Postby VegOn » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:56 am

I made a similar stew once (except no peas). Only I really hated the fake meat. So I said goodbye to beef stew. :crybaby:

Then, this winter, I tried it again, only without the fake beef. I loved it! Beef stew has always been about the carrots, onions, and gravy for me anyway. I thickened my stew with potato flakes, which worked out nicely. Especially with the leftovers - you know how leftover stew congeals in the fridge and comes out as a big glop? BLECH. With the potato flakes, it doesn't do that.

We call it veggie stew, but I guess it is closer to carrot stew, because I go a bit overboard on the carrots. The only problem is that the carnivorous husband gets into it, so I end up with fewer meals than I planned. :\
VegOn

Postby Katydid » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:40 am

Since I can't eat either soy or gluten I had given up on 'beef stew'. Then I dried dried shiitake mushrooms. I break the dried mushrooms in half or into quarters (depending on size) before adding them to the broth and they rehydrate into chewy chunks very similar to beef. Perfect for an unprocessed, allergen-free 'beef stew'.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:25 am

Great idea, Katy! Portobello mushrooms would work great, too!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby indy107 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:57 am

ETeSelle wrote:The 3rd and 4th ingredients are items not recommended on this plan, period. IMO posting a recipe with this as an ingredient is no better than posting a recipe containing meat or dairy.

ETeSelle, First I wanted to say thank you for the kick in the butt for staying on plan. I revised the recipe yesterday to remove the Gardein and add a package of Portabello Mushrooms and I also tried a package of Seitan cubes. I think I like it even better.

But then I re-read you comment and stopped cold - the 3rd ingredient is Veggie Broth. ??? I buy either Pacific or Imagine Low Sodium Veggie broth practically by the 6 pack! Is this not allowed either? Why not? :eek:

indy107

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:44 pm

indy107 wrote:
But then I re-read you comment and stopped cold - the 3rd ingredient is Veggie Broth. ??? I buy either Pacific or Imagine Low Sodium Veggie broth practically by the 6 pack! Is this not allowed either? Why not?

The third and fourth ingredients in the Gardein are isolated soy protein and oil, both correctly noted as not on-plan. Not the stew ingredients. The Buddhist cuisine of Asia had to create dishes that would appeal to meat eating guests, but still be faithful to the vegetarian ideal. So the answer usually was mushrooms for meaty flavor and tofu, tempeh, or seitan for meaty chinks.
vgpedlr

Postby Spiral » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:14 am

indy107,

I am currently in the process of chopping up some of the ingredients to this recipe. I plan to add some Napa Cabbage to the recipe while substituting, as you suggested, mushrooms for the "vegan beef." (Note: I seem to remember that when Dr. Esselstyn attempts to name all of the green leafy vegetables in less than 15 seconds, one of the ones he mentions is Napa Cabbage.)

I like the recipes you come up with. I have lots of cookbooks full of low-fat whole foods plant based recipes, but I keep coming back to the ones you post on this forum.

Keep it up. You have a following.
Spiral

Postby indy107 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:34 pm

Spiral wrote:indy107,

I am currently in the process of chopping up some of the ingredients to this recipe. I plan to add some Napa Cabbage to the recipe while substituting, as you suggested, mushrooms for the "vegan beef." (Note: I seem to remember that when Dr. Esselstyn attempts to name all of the green leafy vegetables in less than 15 seconds, one of the ones he mentions is Napa Cabbage.)

I like the recipes you come up with. I have lots of cookbooks full of low-fat whole foods plant based recipes, but I keep coming back to the ones you post on this forum.

Keep it up. You have a following.

Thanks! I really appreciate that, you just made my day! :D

indy107

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning