Beet greens soup

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Beet greens soup

Postby lilypad » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:16 am

I borrowed Gwyneth Paltrow's new cookbook from the library just to see if there are some good recipes in there, even though she is anti-carb. A lot of them contain oil but I'm trying to adapt them.

I have grown to really like beetroot but never knew what to do with the stems and greens so I was wanted to try this recipe and so find a way to use them. It's actually really nice and richer than I thought it would be and so I thought I would share with others. The greens and stems are a good source of calcium, iron, and Vitamin A and C.

The original recipe calls for oil but I sautéed the vegetables in about 1/2 cup water, enough to soften them. This makes around 4 starter portions.

1 onion
1 medium leek
1 fennel bulb (or a few sticks of celery)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Stems and greens from a bunch of beetroot, chopped
Salt and pepper
3 cups of veg stock ( the original recipe calls for 6 but I found that too watery)

Sautee the onions, leeks, fennel, garlic and beetroot stems for 15 minutes, in 1/2 cup water.
Add the stock and beetroot greens and simmer for 2 minutes.
Blend well.
lilypad

Re: Beet greens soup

Postby Denise » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:23 pm

I love beet greens and eat them as I would any other greens

Cheers
Denise

Re: Beet greens soup

Postby vgpedlr » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:24 pm

I'm a recent convert to beet greens too. I find them most like chard, but with their own beety flavor. Unfortunately, bunched beets don't always have both nice roots and greens, seems often it's one or the other. Last week I found some awesome beets and greens at the farmer's market. I cooked the roots and chunked them and sautéed the greens with onion, garlic, tomato, and chickpeas. Used it all as a topping for Italian seasoned polenta.
vgpedlr

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning