Potato Pot Pie

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Potato Pot Pie

Postby Pudgypumpkin » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:21 pm

I have been making this once a week for the past month.

Potato Pot Pie:

2 pkgs of fingerling potatoes
1+ pound of green beans
1+ pound of carrots
! lg. onion diced up on top
1-2 cups of low sodium veg. broth

I use the biggest cassarole pan I own and fill it to the top.
Place in a 350 degreee over and cook until veggies and and potatoes are tender.

Pull out serving sizes that work for you. Refrigerate what you won't be eating at this time (they hold up for a good week. I make it on Sunday and eat if for dinner Sunday and for lunch the rest of the week.

If I am going to eat a portion right then and there I will pour cauliflower no-cheese sauce from the refrigerator over it and then place it back in the oven to warm up the sauce prior to eating it.

Add pepper and salt to taste.

This make a great microwavable lunch. I take my PPP container and a small container of sauce and stuff myself!

Enjoy,

Pudgypumpkin
Pudgypumpkin - who is working on becoming a Sleekleek!
One potato, two potato, three potato, four - I'm a McDougalling Starchivore!
Pudgypumpkin

Re: Potato Pot Pie

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:41 pm

do you mash all the potatoes or just some of them? I am assuming you are using the potatoes as the pie crust, am I wrong?
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Willijan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:54 pm

This sounds really good. But I don't know how to make Cauliflower-No Cheese Sauce? Can you give us a recipe?
Also, to Faith, I think she is just putting all the vegetables, including the potatoes, into the pot raw and baking them. It's Potato Pot Pie because it is baked in a pot. But, I could be wrong.
Willijan

Postby soul food » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:39 pm

soul food

Postby Pudgypumpkin » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:08 pm

Hi,

Just had this again tonight - it makes a lot so I get about six meals out of it.

Yes, that is the recipe I use now (I love the cashew no-cheese sauce but I don't want the oil or the calories). LOL Maybe I'll have it again when I get to my goal. I only make the spicy version now. The basic recipe is good but the spicy one is better IMO. I also double the cornstarch as a thickener so it looks more like a cheese sauce on anything I top it with.

They only thing I do with the fingerling potatoes is once everything is tender (just throw everything in the pot - I put the potatoes at the bottom and pile everything else on top of them) I will slice the potatoes lengthwise and then in half or thirds (depending on size). I do that so my leftovers heat up a little easier.

I store my extra no-cheese sauce in squeeze bottles so I can just put it on top on anything I'm eating. A couple people actually thought I was eating cheese and couldn't believe it was made out of cauliflower. It's so fun to blow their minds with something that looks so decadent and tastes so good. I almost forgot to add that I do not add any salt to the recipe as I am really working on only salting things when the plate is in front of me.

I called PPP since it reminded me of the old pot roasts I use to make but now the focus is on the potatoes.

I haven't tried different veggies as this is so good and I really pile on the beans, carrots and onions.

Don't forget the pepper and just a little salt once dinner is dished up. I think if you try this one you will really like it.

Pudgypumpkin
Pudgypumpkin

Postby Pudgypumpkin » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:10 pm

Soulfood,

I forgot to say thanks for posting the recipe. I couldn't remember where I had found it since I forgot to write down the source. So thanks again.

Pudgypumpkin
Pudgypumpkin

Postby veggie lover » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:07 am

I am going to try this recipe this week! Sounds delish!
veggie lover

Postby veggie lover » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:10 am

I am going to try this recipe this week! Sounds delish!
veggie lover

Postby Pudgypumpkin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:15 am

LynnCS

Fingerling potatoes are sold fresh in little bags and I can usually buy them for between 2.50 and 2.99 a bag. Most of them are around the size of your thumb and I just scrub them up and throw them in the bottom of casserole pan. I have also used little purple potatoes but haven't really tried any other types. The fingerlings hold up to reheating without getting mushy so I haven't switched it up a lot yet.

If you add or try something else let me know how it works. This is now a staple and I fix it once a week.

As a side note I steamed cauliflower the other night and then poured the no-cheese sauce over from the fridge. I then stuck everything in the microwave for one minute to warm up the sauce and added a lot of pepper and a little salt. It was so good I went out the next day and bought a huge head of cauliflower and am planning on making a big bowl tonight.

This sauce is good on everything I've put it on so far.

Have a great Monday,

Pudgypumpkin
Pudgypumpkin

Postby Potatohead » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:20 am

great recipe....just want to add, I have used yukon gold and reds when making this..just cut them into chunks...I also add a package of frozen corn
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby kalehi » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:17 pm

Hi Pudgypumpkin,

Sorry to sound ignorant, but I am really not skilled in cooking, and I want to try this.

Do you just put everything in a casserole dish and pour the vegetable broth over it? Also, when you bake it in the oven, does it need to be covered up? Do you use fresh green beans, or frozen?

Thanks,
Lynn
kalehi

Postby Pudgypumpkin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:25 am

Lynn and LynnCS

I have used both frozen and fresh green beans. Now that those wonderful thin green beans are in season I have used those (or I buy the two pack of fresh green beans from Sams). I don't usually use frozen carrots because I don't really like frozen carrots all that much and of course you can get fresh carrots anywhere. I just cut them up into strips so they cook as fast as everything else.

I think you could probably use any small potato if you can't find fingerlings I just happened to have those on hand and since a couple of my stores carry them I have continued to use them.

If you give the no-cheese sauce a try I'll bet you will be using it on everything from baked potatoes to WW pasta. Let me know and of course add any seasonings that you love to use. I've kept this pretty simple so far but I'm sure I'll venture out at some point but since this reheats up so nicely I may never change anything.

I almost forgot - I use a covered pot for the initial cook as I have a big one with a lid. If I use the oven to reheat it I have a pot which I cover with foil (it doesn't have a lid but it's high enough that the foil doesn't touch the food. If it did I would use parchment paper and then cover that with the foil. I have also used the microwave at work to reheat it for lunch.

Let me know what you think.

Karen
Pudgypumpkin

Postby Pudgypumpkin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:28 am

Okay, I still forgot to answer something. I just pour in a couple of cups of low sodium veggie broth right before I put it in the oven. When everything is fork tender you are ready to go.

Karen
Pudgypumpkin

Postby kalehi » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:25 am

Hi Pudgypumpkin,

I am so glad that you posted this recipe, and the recipe for the cauliflower cheese sauce! And thanks for answering my questions.

I made both of them for supper today. Major success! That sauce is something else, and your casserole is the perfect match. It is so good and satisfying!

Thanks,
Lynn
kalehi

Postby Pudgypumpkin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:17 am

Lynn,

That makes me so happy that you enjoyed it. I double the sauce recipe now and use it on so many things throughout the week. LOL!

In fact last night I checked out how my frozen noodle mess worked out with the sauce on top and it was wonderful. I usually try freezing some of the things I make for later and my noodle mess worked well enough to take for lunch today.

Isn't cooking this way and finding some things that work a wonderful way of eating. I love just trying things and seeing what happens. I'm looking forward to trying chef AJs "yummy sauce" as soon as I get the beans this weekend.

Try the no-cheese sauce over your veggies next time. It's awesome!

Thanks for letting me know that you enjoyed it and that it worked out for you. Don't forget that you can add a little more corn starch to thicken it up a little more if you want to.

Karen
Pudgypumpkin

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning