Can a person eat too many sweet potatoes?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Can a person eat too many sweet potatoes?

Postby stephaniesherie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:29 pm

I love sweet potatoes! I've read McDougall say not to worry about quantity and just eat when it comes to this approach.
Does that apply to sweet potatoes? :-) :-)
stephaniesherie

Re: Can a person eat too many sweet potatoes?

Postby openmind » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:54 pm

Yes, I'm sure you could in theory eat too many sweet potatoes, but most likely you will feel full and your hunger satisfied long before you reached that point. So I guess it's something you shouldn't worry about :)
openmind

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:03 pm

I wouldn't worry about eating too many. When my doctor told me I had high blood pressure, I told her I didn't want her pills, and I immediately got serious, went on Mary's mini, using sweet potatoes as my starch, because I like sweet potatoes and figured I would not get tired of them. Wrong!!!! I ate them day in and day out for a few days, and then something interesting happened. They lost their appeal, and I ate only if I was actually hungry. I probably kept on eating that way for a month or two (I started in August 2008). I also started walking several miles each day. My blood pressure dropped within a week, and I lost about 30 pounds in several months.

I still like sweet potatoes, but there is no danger of over eating them. You will quit when you get full.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Daydream » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:40 am

I love Japanese sweet potatoes and I always gain weight if I eat too many of them. :oops: So I have to be careful when I eat them and not overdo it.
Daydream

Postby stephaniesherie » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:54 am

Thanks!

It's true. They are very filling. I can't eat more than one at a meal.

What is Mary's mini-challenge?
stephaniesherie

Postby NCFishboy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:36 am

During Feb and March I ate only sweet potatoes for a 30 days straight, I did also eat 12 of the romaine hearts spread out when I had cravings for greens. I was worried about turning orange but I did not. I did this to see if it was possible for me to eat on $50 for a month, it is and I did, and still love eating sweet potatoes. They are a local crop here in eastern NC and I can get a #40 box of number two's for $6 from a farmer I know. During the 30 days I ended up eating 6 boxes.
NCFishboy

Postby stephaniesherie » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:56 am

Wow! That is amazing fishboy.

That is super cheap. I love that sweet potatoes don't go bad either! They last much longer than greens.

I also think they are the best source of fiber. My body just LOVES them!
stephaniesherie

Postby Chile » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:49 am

stephaniesherie wrote: I love that sweet potatoes don't go bad either!

Obviously you have never kept them way too long ... probably because you like them so much you eat them up promptly. :D However, I have had sweet potatoes go bad in three different ways: sprouting, molding, and getting wrinkly/soft at the tips. And that is with storage in a cool, dark, fairly dry space.
Chile

Postby JOJO1947 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:10 am

The Okinawans would answer that question with an unequivocal "NO"! In 1949, the diet of this area of Japan was 85% carbs, 69% of which was sweet potatoes. This pocket of health and longevity had the largest number of centenarians in the world. Google Blue Zones. Of course now, with KFC etc. moving in, health especially in the young Okinawans is on the downhill slide. Sad.
JOJO1947

Postby stephaniesherie » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:58 am

JOJO1947 wrote:The Okinawans would answer that question with an unequivocal "NO"! In 1949, the diet of this area of Japan was 85% carbs, 69% of which was sweet potatoes. This pocket of health and longevity had the largest number of centenarians in the world. Google Blue Zones. Of course now, with KFC etc. moving in, health especially in the young Okinawans is on the downhill slide. Sad.

Sweet! Pass the sweet potatoes!
stephaniesherie

Postby Plumerias » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:06 am

NCFishboy wrote:During Feb and March I ate only sweet potatoes for a 30 days straight, I did also eat 12 of the romaine hearts spread out when I had cravings for greens. I was worried about turning orange but I did not. I did this to see if it was possible for me to eat on $50 for a month, it is and I did, and still love eating sweet potatoes. They are a local crop here in eastern NC and I can get a #40 box of number two's for $6 from a farmer I know. During the 30 days I ended up eating 6 boxes.

What are number two's please?
Plumerias

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning