Slawsa

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Slawsa

Postby soul food » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:50 pm

http://www.slawsa.com/

http://www.slawsa.com/pages/nutritional-facts

You can feel confident that Slawsa is:
•all-natural
•fat-free
•cholesterol-free
•gluten-free
•very low in sodium
•kosher
•vegan
- See more at: http://www.slawsa.com/pages/nutritional ... BUqyP.dpuf

I saw this at the grocery store the other day. I didn't buy it. As anyone ever had this?

soul food
soul food

Re: Slawsa

Postby AnnieMaim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:55 pm

I've never seen it before... But uh, did you see the pictures up top where the person has a head of a dog? Because that is just... uh... yow!
AnnieMaim

Postby soul food » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:02 pm

No, I didn't pay any attention. I thought it was a dog. I went straight to the nutritional facts section.
I clicked on the video. It seems to be his dog and is alive and supposedly his dog is teaching the recipes. It is human hands though.
I don't know somekind of trick photo, or video, or did he teach his dog to sit there...I don't know.

soul food
soul food

Postby Vegankit » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:38 pm

Looks interesting, but I noticed that sugar is the second ingredient. I have trouble conceiving of a food that is a cross as they describe it, "between a slaw and salsa" - I picture something salty and spicy hot - not something sweet with turmeric.

I might buy a small container if it was cheap enough just to taste (even better if the store is handing out samples to taste) and if I liked it, figure out how to recreate a healthier choice at home. If you do buy it, please let us know how you like it.

It wouldn't pass Jeff Novick's food label test - for those who follow his advice, but for many here they might be happy to use it as a condiment. Here is a link to the ingredients: http://www.slawsa.com/pages/nutritional-facts
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Gweithgar » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:27 am

Sounds quite a bit like kimchi, so I'll just keep on making my own at home. Yum!
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby plantlvnveg » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:39 am

I read this post and looked up Slawsa I went to my local Food Lion grocery store and bought some, they only had the original and spicy, I bought the spicy at 3.79 a jar (big jar) this stuff is great. Im going to use it as a topper on my sweet potato, also a smear on my st. yves fake meat sandwich. this stuff is delish! Thanks for telling about it.
Eat beans not beings
plantlvnveg

Postby Dougalling » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:17 am

1 cup of cabbage has 4g to 5g of carbs.
1 tsp of sugar has 4g of carbs
1 TBSP of Slawsa has 4g of carbs.

If my math is right; you get almost a tsp of sugar in every TBSP of Slawsa .

It would be easy to steam some cabbage with bits of bell peppers, onions, carrots. Then mix it with your favorite mustard.
Dougalling

Postby soul food » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:43 pm

Thanks for letting me know plantlvnveg. It's just a convenient condiment with no fat and low sodium which would be used in smaller portions to add flavor not a main course. I hate kimchi because it's too bitter, with all that sugar it won't be bitter. Ha!

soul food
soul food

Postby Gweithgar » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:50 pm

My kimchi is never bitter. Hot, yes. Sour, yes. I only use Napa cabbage when I make it, though. I can see where regular cabbage might be bitter.
Gweithgar

Postby Vegankit » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:04 pm

Gweithgar wrote:My kimchi is never bitter. Hot, yes. Sour, yes. I only use Napa cabbage when I make it, though. I can see where regular cabbage might be bitter.
Gweithgar, could you please post your recipe for kimchi? I'd love to make it at home. I've got my first batch of sauerkraut fermenting and I'm ready to tackle kimchi.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Gweithgar » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:22 pm

Hi,
I use the recipe from Nourishing Traditions, omitting the whey and the fish sauce. If you have "live" sauerkraut juice you could use that as a starter, that's what I did with my last batch and it worked beautifully. This basic recipe can be adjusted to suit your tastes. Less garlic, more garlic, hotter, milder, whatever. You can add different vegetables or change the proportions. I've used garden radishes when daikon wasn't available. I've used purple onions, but they turn a funny gray color; tasty but not pretty. Turnips or rhutabagas will work in this mixture, if you have them or like them.

Here is a link to the recipe: http://thenourishingcook.com/your-body- ... is-kimchi/

I usually make a big batch (like, 10 quarts) at a time. I use red pepper flakes and I use them sparingly, adding a pinch to each jar before putting the lid on. If your finished product is too mild you can always make it hotter with chili garlic paste or such. Also, I usually use thinly sliced onions instead of the green onions, because I don't trust the cleanliness of green onions from the store. As with making sauerkraut, the lids will bulge and the contents will bubble, so put the jars on a surface that can handle any drainage. After the three-day countertop fermentation, snug the bands down and put it in the fridge. I kept it for over a year (well over) and it just improves. You'll know if a jar is bad because it will smell rotted and look slimy...I've never had that happen, though. When you open a jar for the first time there will be some bubbling, that's normal. After you take some out, nudge the rest of the kimchi under the liquid.

If you have kimchi you can make hot and sour soup in an instant by pouring hot vegetable stock over some kimchi in a bowl.
Gweithgar

Postby Vegankit » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Gweithgar - THANKS. LOL I feel creepy that the recipe comes from Sally Fallon's cook book Nourishing Traditions. That blog is written by someone who is the administrator of Sally Fallon's Nourishing Cook Facebook page.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Gweithgar » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:13 am

Seriously, I have gotten a lot of really good, useful recipes from Nourishing Traditions. You have to pick and choose, just like you would with any "conventional" cookbook, and you have to do some McDougallizing from time to time. I bought the book back before I McDougalled and consider that it was worth the price for the fermentation section alone. So, even though I'm no longer a WPF believer, I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Gweithgar

Postby Carroll » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:42 am

AnnieMaim wrote:I've never seen it before... But uh, did you see the pictures up top where the person has a head of a dog? Because that is just... uh... yow!

Reminded me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P9sQvPJuSU that gave my kids nightmares
Carroll

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning