Portobello Mushroom - need inspiration...

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Portobello Mushroom - need inspiration...

Postby Vegankit » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:44 pm

I bought some portobello mushrooms but I don't know what I want to do with them - I'm hoping maybe some one here has some interesting ideas.

I used to marinate and cook them to mimic hamburgers - but I have celiac disease and I haven't found a gluten free hamburger bun so I'm looking for something different that doesn't use them in a sandwich.

Thanks
Vegankit
Vegankit

Re: Portobello Mushroom - need inspiration...

Postby JulieS » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:55 pm

Sorry you can't eat wheat! I have soft corn tacos with sliced mushrooms, beans, brown rice & salsa at least once a week. You can also stuff mushrooms with cooked rice & broccoli combo and serve with a salad. I also toss mushrooms into my Asian stir-fry over brown rice. Enjoy!
LOST 55 POUNDS! From pant size 14 to size 4, BMI:21
JulieS

Postby Vegankit » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:28 pm

Thanks Julie - I have corn tortilla - that sounds like a good idea - I can marinate mushrooms and veggies in lime juice with some Tex-mex spices and stir fry them as a filling. I haven't had this in a long time.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Bob Loblob » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:36 pm

I use them as the meat replacement in my chili. I'll also cut them into half inch slices and bruch them with my own bbq sauce and bake them for about 20 minutes. I'll also pan fry them in water and worcestershire and a lot of garlic and spinach.
Bob Loblob

Postby Potatohead » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:06 am

I have used them stuffed with mashed potatoes, and also I recently saw a recipe that someone use them as a base for pizza fillings, make stuffing and then stuff the mushrooms bake them and serve with gravy...yummy stuff :nod:
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby lydia » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:21 pm

I love slicing them and cooking in water with pepper and salt . It makes a great tasty topping for mashed potatoes.so easy peasy
lydia

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:12 pm

There is a lot you can do with mushrooms. You can make mushroom stroganoff, mushrooms burgundy, mushroom stew--which you can then top with mashed potatoes as in a shepherd's pie. Or you can do what I did tonight with what I had in the fridge: stir fry of onions, ginger, asparagus, mushrooms (mine were a different type, but it doesn't matter), pea pods, a bit of wine, a little hoy tsin sauce and some marinated baked tofu. YUM!

Get out your big fat cookbook, the one you used to use before this WOE, (Joy of Cooking or Good Housekeeping, or Betty Crocker or Fanny Farmer--anything like that) and use the same recipes you used to use with meat or chicken stew-like things. Skip the oils, saute in broth or wine, and substitute mushrooms for the meat. Have fun!
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Vegankit » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:37 pm

Well I made my Portobello mushroom steaks and they were fabulous - so I bought more to make this recipe again. I appreciate all the idea posted.

This is what I did:
I washed and removed the tough stem (freeze and use to make mushroom stock). I made a marinade using gluten free low sodium Tamari sauce, rice vinegar, grated garlic, grated ginger and a little bit of brown sugar. Marinated them all day and then roasted them in the oven for about 15-20 minutes at 400 °F. They were perfect, flavorful and easy.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby ch47gunnergirl1 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:09 pm

I love giant portos as "steaks" all on their own. I simply wash them, salt & pepper, grill them, (high for a few, then low) and serve as a "meat" all on its own, with mashed potato & grilled asparagus (or some other vegg combo) on the side.
ch47gunnergirl1

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning