Minute Rice Multi Grain Medley

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Minute Rice Multi Grain Medley

Postby odyssey » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:38 pm

I bought a box of this for $2. It has 4 packs of 2 servings each. I have really enjoyed them. Usually I just buy regular brown rice at 7 cents per serving but this is nice to have on hand for something quick and different.

Cooks in ten minutes. It is a mixture of brown rice, red rice, wild rice, and quinoa; no seasonings or anything else added. It has a very nutty flavor. I added some sauteed onions, celery, garlic, mushrooms, rosemary, sage and thyme and made a very quick and delicious pilaf.
odyssey

Re: Minute Rice Multi Grain Medley

Postby AnnieMaim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:51 am

Oh, that sounds good. Does it come in one of their small boxes?

I really wish those microwavable pouches they made didn't have oil in them. Theirs and Uncle Ben's both have oil. I found a brand at Target... I of course can't remember the name, but the package is a bright cyan/blue, that doesn't have oil. They had one with farro and one with wild rice, so obviously I bought both.
AnnieMaim

Postby odyssey » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:18 am

This is just a box of four plastic pouches. It's not a frozen item, it's with the other Minute Rice boxes on the shelf. It's not boil in the bag. You empty the contents of the bag into water and boil covered for 10 minutes. Absolutely no oil or anything but the four items listed.
odyssey

Postby VeggieSue » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:57 am

odyssey wrote:I bought a box of this for $2.

It's twice that in my local Stop and Shop. Not worth the price at all. Each package made about a 1-1 1/2 cup of cooked pilaf. I wound up using the whole box for one meal and my husband was looking for more.

Here's the stuff odyssey is talking about on the Minute Rice site:
http://www.minuterice.com/en-us/products/241/Multi-GrainMedley.aspx

It does also come in those tiny microwavable packages, too:
http://www.minuterice.com/en-us/products/234/Multi-GrainMedley.aspx

but those do contain oil
VeggieSue

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:52 pm

those darn little Minute rice cups are terrible with all the oil. I never have seen the boxed type, I'll have to look for them. I cook my rice 95% of the time, but sometimes, I'm in a rush or want something different, or the son wants white and I only cook brown, so this may come in handy.

I always keep some frozen rice around for the above situations too. I get them from Trader Joes. But like Sue said the serving is small. I will make it last two but I know I could eat the whole thing.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby odyssey » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:03 pm

VeggieSue wrote:
odyssey wrote:I bought a box of this for $2.

It's twice that in my local Stop and Shop
. Not worth the price at all
. Each package made about a 1-1 1/2 cup of cooked pilaf. I wound up using the whole box for one meal and my husband was looking for more.

Here's the stuff odyssey is talking about on the Minute Rice site:
http://www.minuterice.com/en-us/products/241/Multi-GrainMedley.aspx

It does also come in those tiny microwavable packages, too:
http://www.minuterice.com/en-us/products/234/Multi-GrainMedley.aspx

but those do contain oil

Thanks for the link to what I'm referring to! I should have said I was cooking this for just myself so there was actually leftovers! And for the price I paid, it's certainly worth it! I've never seen the kind with oil.
odyssey

Postby MINNIE » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:32 am

Thanks for posting this -I never think of Minute Rice any more, since I usually make brown rice in a rice cooker. But this looks like a good travel item, because it can be made in a microwave.
MINNIE

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning