Made corn chowder tonight!

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Made corn chowder tonight!

Postby ninehigh99 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:13 am

I used this recipe, except I substituted vegetable broth for the bacon bits. I used my immersion puree'er to make the soup creamy. I did use 200ml of half-and-half.

It's the first time I made corn chowder, and it really hit the spot!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grandmas-corn-chowder/
ninehigh99

Re: Made corn chowder tonight!

Postby Katydid » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:42 am

I don't want to be the "McDougall Police" but just to point out to any newbies, half-and-half (or dairy in any form) is not allowed on the program. There are many recipes in the Newsletter section for compliant corn chowder. Fresh or frozen corn, onion, garlic. vegetable broth, some type of "sticky" potato like baby reds or Yukon golds, and some herbs (I adore celery seed in corn chowder) are all you need for a fabulous soup. The potatoes will make it creamy - no saturated "cow pus" required. :lol: If you absolutely feel the need for additional creaminess, blend a small handful of blanched almonds or cashews with some water and add those to your soup - heaven!

Again, I'm not being a scold. I appreciate the reminder, as I do love a good corn chowder. But I do think its important to show those starting out on the program (and there are new people every day ) that there are viable alternatives to animal products and make sure that any recipes we post in the recipe section are "McDougall Legal".

Kate (longing for fresh corn to come into season)
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby ninehigh99 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:18 am

Kate,

I'll probably use almond milk instead of half-and-half the next time I make the soup. I just wanted to follow the recipe the first time I made it. I don't like the taste of too rich food anyways.
ninehigh99

Postby miranda2060 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:37 am

Mmm, corn chowder!

Another tip for a creamy chowder is to follow Chef Del Sroufe's recipes for "Cream" soups, which use leeks. I'm sure you can adapt it for corn chowder. I have often adapted his Cream of Broccoli Soup recipe, below, for potato-leek soup. It works with any vegetables you choose. I think it's creamy enough, but my partner likes it a little creamier, so sometimes I add a little almond milk. The recipe is from the Forks Over Knives cookbook.

Cream of Broccoli (or any Vegetable) Soup
3 large leeks (white parts only), sliced and rinsed
1 t. thyme leaves
4 c. broccoli florets (or other vegetable)
4 1/2 cups vegetable broth, plus more as needed
3 T. nutritional yeast, optional
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1. Place the leeks in a large saucepan and saute over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add water, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep the leeks from sticking to the pan. Add the thyme and cook for another minute, then add the broccoli (or other vegetables), vegetable broth and nutritional yeast, if using. Bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until the broccoli or other vegetable is tender, about 10 mins.

Puree the soup using an immersion blender. Return the soup to the pot and season with salt and pepper.
miranda2060

Postby ninehigh99 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:44 am

Hmmm. Never cooked with leeks before. I'll have to try the potato-leek soup recipe!
ninehigh99

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning