Chubby Chips (by Jeff N.)

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Chubby Chips (by Jeff N.)

Postby SweetPea » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:47 am

These are so quick and easy! And delish! I spotted the recipe on Jeff’s Facebook page. I can’t way to try different variations. :-D

Chubby Chips Recipe
By Jeff Novick

-Take your favorite potato (white, sweet, yam, yellow, etc)
-Slice into rounds, 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick
-Layer them on a non stick baking pan
(or line it with parchment paper)
-Add Seasoning (garlic, chili powder, cinnamon, curry, etc)
-Broil till golden, turn them over and repeat
(Or roast till golden)

We love to add garlic &/or chipotle seasoning to the regular potatoes and curry &/or cinnamon to the sweet potatoes.

We like them thick and chewy and that is why we call them "Chubby Chips," If you like them crisper, you can just cut them thinner and if you have a mandolin slicer, you can cut them fairly thin and even. We also use a waffle knife (or slices) to make wavy cuts and make "Chubby Ruffle Chips."

Enjoy and remember to make a lot because they disappear fast. Kids LOVE them too!

I roasted at 400 F and used garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper.
~♥~ It's never too late to go after what you want. ~♥~
SweetPea

Re: Chubby Chips (by Jeff N.)

Postby MINNIE » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:31 am

This looks delightful! Wish I had some right now...but I soon will:).

Lynn, I think anything you like will be good on these, so just try it and see. I mean, how bad can potatoes with chipotle and onion be? For some reason, I decided recently to try seasoning mashed potatoes with fennel and a bit of smokey paprika. It sounds kind of weird, but it tasted good to me. You never know.
Last edited by MINNIE on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
MINNIE

Postby SweetPea » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:35 am

These are the bomb, Lynn!

Those are Jeff's seasoning suggestions ~ they're great!

I keep sticking with the garlic-onion-black pepper combo, but my husband loves them with chili powder (Frontier brand: chili peppers, cumin, garlic, oregano, coriander, cloves, and allspice). For some reason, those almost taste like they've been seasoned with Lawry's to me. :-) (Lawry's actually contains paprika, turmeric, onion, garlic, and other mystery ingredients + salt/sugar.)

I like your idea about the nooch + some onion. Yeast bothers my digestion, so I don't usually eat it, but it's tasty!

There's a Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning that is fantastic. It's fiery, though! I kept choking on the popcorn I put it on last night.

I also think I might try a garlic + smoked paprika combo for a BBQ flavor and maybe smoked paprika + black pepper. Yum. The nice part is that you can season half the tray one way and half another. (Or in our case, trays.) Lots of fun. :nod:

I have yet to try sweet potatoes, but I'm itching to!
SweetPea

Postby SweetPea » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:39 am

They are, Minnie! :-D I'm about to make some myself!
SweetPea

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning