Kentucky Soup Beans

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Kentucky Soup Beans

Postby indy107 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:30 am

Just like my mama used to make - without the meat and/or fat :)

From today's blog…..

Although I have lived here in the Pacific Northwest for the last 16 years or so – my roots are definitely southern. I was born in the beautiful state of Kentucky and had a ton of family there from my mom’s brothers and sisters (and let me tell you there were a lot of them).

Between all those aunts, uncles, cousins, my grandma, and my mom - I was introduced to southern cooking at a very early age. And they all shared one thing in common.

Kentucky Soup Beans

Soup Beans is just the Kentucky way of saying a big pot of Pinto Beans, slow cooked in their own broth , usually flavored with either a ham hock, or a piece of salt pork, and served with a big hunk of cornbread. Oh and don’t forget the ice-cold glass of buttermilk.

It didn’t matter who’s house we visiting, there was always a big pot on them on the stove.
Yeah I know - not very Vegan is it? But good? Oh man.

Sure you can buy a can of pinto beans at the store, but there’s just something about cooking them the old-fashioned way, like mom used to, that makes them taste just like home.

I’ll admit, it’s a fairly long process, cleaning, sorting, soaking, rinsing, and then an all day simmer, but let me tell you it’s worth it. And inexpensive? Dried pinto beans are one of the most inexpensive, healthy, items you can buy in the store, full of protein, fiber, natural fats, calcium, and iron.

So although this isn’t exactly like mom used to make – since she wasn’t vegan (and would probably yell at me for saying I was) – there are pretty darn close.

So get out the crock pot and get soaking!

Oh and just a bit of a warning….

If you are not used to eating a lot of fiber – these beans will talk to you (and everyone else in the room). I really recommend you stay close to the bathroom. These will make things move like greased lightning if you aren’t used to them – so go easy on them at first. Although this is not meant to be a ‘cleanse’ recipe – it can have that effect…..

Don’t say I didn’t warn you :)

Ingredients:
2 cups dry pinto beans
enough cold water to cover the beans
1 quart of reduced sodium vegetable broth
1/2 cup water
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced or 2 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt (or to taste if you are watching your sodium intake)
a few drops of liquid smoke
ground pepper to taste

Directions:
1. First you got to pick through the all the beans and remove any dirt or debris.
2. Then you want to rinse them thoroughly and place them in a stockpot with enough water to cover everything and let them soak overnight.
3. The next day drain them through a colander, rinse, and put them back in the pot with more fresh water – enough to cover.
4. Bring the beans to a boil, reduce the heat, and let them simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. Remove them from the heat completely and cover them for another hour.
6. Drain and rinse the beans one more time and a toss them in a slow cooker with the veggie broth, 1/2 cup of water, the onion, and all the spices.
7. Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours. Keep watch as you definitely don’t want the liquid level to drop too much. If the liquid gets too low – add a bit more water – just enough to keep things covered.
8. Once they’re nice and soft, blend a cup or so of the beans and broth in a blender and add back to the pot.
9. Stir and serve with a big ‘ole hunk of vegan cornbread and make sure you got a Loretta Lynn or Tammy Wynette CD playing in the background :)

Y’all enjoy now – ya hear?

http://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/vegan-soup-beans/
For tons of healthy Plant-Based, McDougall Friendly Recipes, check out my blog at :

https://www.brandnewvegan.com.
indy107

Re: Kentucky Soup Beans

Postby kate11605 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:14 am

Yum-O!!!! I almost always put on a crock pot full of pinto beans, just because I love them so much. I could eat them morning, noon and night!!! I can't wait to try your recipe. Thanks so much! :D
Kate
Ezekiel 4:9., "Take also unto thee Wheat, and Barley, and beans, and lentils, and millet, and Spelt, and put them in one vessel, and make bread of it..."
kate11605

Postby Katydid » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:24 am

Ah, soup beans, corn bread and ( :eek: ) ham hocks. Good old Kentucky home cooking (by my good old hillbilly Ma and Pa). Add some wilted lettuce (torn leaf lettuce with hot bacon grease poured on top) and you've got many a Saturday night dinner at my house growing up. :lol: Of course, it isn't traditional unless you walk away from the stove and let the beans burn (sorry, Mom :evil: ).
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby MINNIE » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:28 am

Thanks for the recipe. I like trying to recreate healthier versions of Southern cuisine. (I'm not Kentuckian, but was born in Tennessee). So far, I am finding that greens, cornbread and beans can all be made in a healthy vegan style, and taste as good or better that way.

If I'm cooking for other people who expect to find some form of meat in the pot of greens or beans, I use sun dried no-oil tomatoes. They give a similar mouthfeel, and are a pretty contrast to the greens.

I am going to try this recipe, but will probably use my Instant Pot, since I'm always in a hurry to eat some luscious beans :) .
MINNIE

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:10 pm

:D Thanks for the smile Kate. Yep sounds like my household also, though Mom didn't burn hers.

Ours served with a bowl of chopped onions and some ketchup too.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Daydream » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:37 am

Pinto beans are delicious! Thanks for the recipe.
Daydream

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning