Oriental Brown Sauce Recipe

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oriental Brown Sauce Recipe

Postby indy107 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:56 am

Made this yesterday for lunch and poured it over some noodles. Yummy! Could also use it for a veggie topper or a stir-fry sauce. Enjoy!

From this mornings blog post…..

If you haven’t noticed, I have quite a collection of http://www.brandnewvegan.com/category/recipes/dips-and-sauces/.

A good sauce can make all the difference in the world to an otherwise boring plate of rice or veggies! Of course I try to make sure all my sauces are made from Vegan ingredients, but I also try to make them as fat-free as I can. Because we all know the fat you eat is the fat you wear – right?

This Oriental Brown Sauce fits the bill perfectly. It’s completely Vegan, Low-Fat, easy to make, and very, very tasty. As an added benefit, the molasses gives it a nice iron kick, a mineral many Vegans worry about when switching their diets to plant-based.

As you can see in the photo we used it for our lunch yesterday to top off some Udon Noodles. It would easily make a good stir fry sauce as well, or just as a topper for fresh veggies!

Quick and tasty. Give it a try!

Oriental Brown Sauce
3/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
3 tbs low sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
1 tbsp chopped garlic (2-3 cloves)
1/2 tsp powdered ginger (or about 1 tbsp of chopped fresh)
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp water

Whisk all the ingredients over med low heat until it starts to bubble. Mix the corn starch and 1 tbsp water in a separate cup and slowly pour it in to the sauce. It will start to thicken immediately. Leave it on the heat and whisk continuously until you get the thickness you desire.
For tons of healthy Plant-Based, McDougall Friendly Recipes, check out my blog at :

https://www.brandnewvegan.com.
indy107

Re: Oriental Brown Sauce Recipe

Postby Daydream » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:54 pm

Thank you for sharing that recipe.
Daydream

Postby MINNIE » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:05 am

Interesting. I make a similar sauce, but never thought of using molasses. Will try it soon:).
MINNIE

Postby Spiral » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:39 pm

I just made a double batch of this a little while ago. Delicious.

I did change it up just a bit.

I used extra low sodium vegetable broth and didn't use any soy sauce in order to lower the sodium.

I used a 1 pound bag of frozen mixed vegetables and a 1 pound bad of frozen mixed greens (Whole Foods' 365 brand of Kale, Collard Greens and Mustard Greens).

I added one diced sweet onion.

I used 2 13.25 ounce boxes of whole wheat thin spaghetti.

I added some of Bella's strawberry balsamic vinegar salad dressing while serving, to make it just a little sweeter.
Spiral

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning