chickpea spinach burgers

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

chickpea spinach burgers

Postby kirstykay » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:39 pm

Made these for dinner tonight, and they were a big hit with the family. Thought I'd share!

http://taleoftwovegans.wordpress.com/20 ... h-burgers/

I made them without any oil or peanut butter and they were delicious! I cooked them on the stove in a dry cast iron skillet and they browned up really nicely. I served them over mixed greens with baked sweet potato fries on the side. This is a new favorite meal for my family. Hope you enjoy!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Re: chickpea spinach burgers

Postby bancha » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:23 pm

These look great. Thanks for the recipe and how you served it! Will be tomorrow's dinner.
bancha

Postby kimba » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:42 am

Oh Yum-O. Can you use any kind of hot sauce? They look so pretty. Cant wait to try them. And I dont have chickpea flour. What can I use? Whole wheat flour?
kimba

Postby kirstykay » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:36 pm

Yes, you can use whole wheat flour. I'm sure you can use any hot sauce. I actually didn't have any hot sauce, so I sprinkled a little chili powder in there for a kick. They turned out great.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby momhanks » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:58 pm

I tried these tonight and they were wonderful. This is definitely a keeper. I used some wheat flour and a little pea flour. Didn't use the hot sauce, hubby doesn't like heat. Didn't put in the p-nut butter. They were great.
momhanks

Postby bancha » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Made these tonight and they were absolute winners!! Is there a McD recipe hall of fame??

Notes: used about 1.25 cups of frozen spinach rather than fresh. Recipe says it makes 6 burgers. We got 4 good sized ones and two of us ate them all with baked potato fries and a salad. Skipped the peanut butter and oil.
bancha

Postby fiddler3 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:55 pm

This is the best veggie burger I have ever made. I used Trader Joe's peanut flour instead of the peanut butter. Otherwise I stuck to the recipe.

However, these burgers taste rather like falafel, not a problem per se, but I am wondering if it is from the cumin or the chickpea flour. I will experiment with the spices a bit, but am not sure where I am going yet :) I hate to mess with the texture, but I wonder what would happen if I processed the chickpeas just a little bit, leaving large chunks. Might increase the burger-ness of the patties. I have eaten the leftovers for two days on my salad, just a room temp patty, very good.

I intend to make a large batch and freeze for quick snacks.

Thank you for posting this.
fiddler3

Postby momhanks » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:56 pm

I did process the chickpeas and I really liked them. They held together well and there was no problem with them falling apart.
momhanks

Postby AnnaS » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:43 pm

These were great! I did mash the chickpeas a bit, and substituted 1 Tbsp tahini for the the peanut butter. Also, I had a head of fresh endive so I chopped that up and used it instead of spinach--it was quite a bit, maybe 4 cups chopped before cooking. I ended up with 8 medium-sized burgers.
I broiled them 10 minutes on a side in my toaster oven, no oil at all.

I think these would be great with any kind of greens, like mustard greens too. I'm not sure about kale, but maybe I'll try that sometime. This recipe would be a great way to get greens down a green-phobic eater!

I like fiddler3's idea of making these ahead and freezing for snacks. Maybe little 2-inch size pieces. Yum!
on the McD program since 2002: age=65, BMI=18, b/p=110/70, tc=126, McD=100%.
diagnosed with lyme disease March 2010

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AnnaS

Postby fulenn » Sat May 28, 2011 4:28 pm

I just made a batch of these for a BBQ on Monday. I mashed the chickpeas a little bit, so they were about 1/2 the regular size, and then used peanut butter powder instead of mixed peanut butter. They look really good and the tiny one that I made to taste was wonderful! I think they'll be great for the holiday.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby Chile » Sat May 28, 2011 4:39 pm

These sound wonderful! I end the potato mini on Thursday, then I can start eating beans agin. Can't wait to try this one.
Chile

Postby pippin » Sat May 28, 2011 5:53 pm

Could someone post the recipe or a link? I don't seem to be able to connect using this link. Thanks! I love new recipes with good reviews :-D
Just Keep Swimming!
pippin

Postby blondie » Sat May 28, 2011 7:19 pm

http://taleoftwovegans.wordpress.com/2009/12/10/chickpea-spinach-burgers/

These do sound yummy!

-1 medium onion, minced
-3 cloves garlic, crushed
-1 c. chickpeas
-3 c. packed spinach leaves
-1 carrot, grated
-2 tbsp. soy sauce (likely less if you’re using canned/salted chickpeas)
-1 tsp. cumin
-2 tbsp. peanut butter
-1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
-1 tsp. sriracha hot sauce
-1/2 c. chickpea flour

Cook the onion in oil or water in a pan over medium heat until soft and translucent, then add garlic and cook for another minute. Add the chickpeas, spinach, and carrot, and cook until the spinach is fully wilted and the carrot is softened. Make sure that you let as much liquid as possible cook off. Dump into a mixing bowl, and stir in the soy sauce, cumin, peanut butter, nutritional yeast, hot sauce, and chickpea flour. I didn’t bother trying to smush the chickpeas at all, although you could. Allow the mixture to cool. In big spoonfulls (~1/3 c.?) form the mixutre into thick patties and lightly pan fry, using only a couple teaspoons of oil for several burgers, over medium heat until browned on both sides. Alternatively, I bet you could bake them just fine, although I tend to fry my burgers – it’s faster! Makes six burgers.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby HollyJo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:46 pm

Yum! I can't wait to make these this weekend...and I actually have everything but the hot sauce...but were not to big on it, so I will leave it out. Oh, and I too will be using Wheat flour as opposed to chick pea as I don't have that....but I'll get some cuz it sounds good!

Thanks for sharing!
HollyJo

Postby drizzle123 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:31 am

They look so nice!!

i will be making these at the weekend for me and my boyfriend :)
drizzle123

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning