Portion sizes in art depicting Last Supper

Post here diet and lifestyle topics that have a religious orientation. Topics with a religious tone posted in all other parts of the board will be deleted.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, John McDougall

Portion sizes in art depicting Last Supper

Postby AnnaS » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:16 pm

Did anybody see this article, this is really, really cool (it actually has nothing to do with religion, it's more about art history but posting it here just in case it seems most appropriate here).

This is more of Brian Wansink's work. He's the Cornell food behavior scientist that wrote "Mindless Eating". He's looked at depictions of the Last Supper for the past 2,000 years and find that the portion sizes have increased by 69%!

You gotta read this yourself, this is so cool--
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7504482/Supersized-Last-Supper-mirrors-increases-in-appetites-and-food-portions.html
AnnaS

Re: Portion sizes in art depicting Last Supper

Postby Gramma Jackie » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:49 pm

Yes I saw that. It is eye-opening. I have even seen an increase in plate sizes in restaurants since I was a child back in the 1950's.
Gramma Jackie

Re: Portion sizes in art depicting Last Supper

Postby AnnaS » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:36 pm

It underscores Dr. McDougall's point that affluence has a bad effect on diet. Between 1500 and 1900 a lot of technological changes in Europe made it possible to produce more food, for a lot of other reasons more people were living above the subsistence level, and were able to get and eat that food.

This is sort of an interesting way of looking at European history that I'd never thought of before!
AnnaS

Return to Religious Forum