Bible verses to support me as I follow the McDougall plan

Post here diet and lifestyle topics that have a religious orientation. Topics with a religious tone posted in all other parts of the board will be deleted.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, John McDougall

Bible verses to support me as I follow the McDougall plan

Postby pinkrose » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:16 am

This is only a start. Please share those that help you!

"Then God said, “Let the earth put forth vegetation: plants yielding seed, and fruit trees of every kind on earth that bear fruit with the seed in it.” And it was so. The earth brought forth vegetation: plants yielding seed of every kind, and trees of every kind bearing fruit with the seed in it. And God saw that it was good." (Genesis 1.11-12, NRSV)

"God said, 'See, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food...." (Genesis 1.29, NRSV)

"May he grant you your heart’s desire, and fulfill all your plans." (Psalm 20.4, NRSV)

"Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart." (Psalm 37.4, NRSV)

"I lift up my eyes to the hills— from where will my help come?

My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth." (Psalm 121.1-2, NRSV)
pinkrose

Re: Bible verses to support me as I follow the McDougall plan

Postby Wendy Jane » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:28 am

The absoloute best scripture for this would be:

I Corinthians 3:16-17. In the King James Version it reads: Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are."

In the New Living Translation it reads: Don't you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you? God will bring ruin upon anyone who ruins this temple. For God's temple is holy, and you Christians are that temple."

These scriptures tell me that we should take care of our bodies. This means obviously, no smoking, limiting your alcohol or none at all, and of course watching what you eat. Doesn't the McDougall plan fit well here?
Wendy Jane

Postby luvoatmeal » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 am

Thank you pinkrose and Wendy Jane for those scriptures. I'm still working on my list, but I'll probably be able to post it near the end of this week. The next couple of days are going to be really busy for me.

Psalm 37:4-5 are the verses that my hubby and I had on our wedding invitations. Needless to say, they are very special to me!
:)

God Bless!
luvoatmeal

Postby Katydid » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:58 am

Pinkrose,
You may enjoy the FAQ's from the Christian Vegetarian Society:
http://www.all-creatures.org/cva/honoring.htm
They have a nice website.
Kate
PS: I'm a Deist, but I support the principle of what you guys are doing :-D .
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Return to Religious Forum