Atheist, Agnostic, Buddhist, & Pagan Weight Loss Thread.

Post here diet and lifestyle topics that have a religious orientation. Topics with a religious tone posted in all other parts of the board will be deleted.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, John McDougall

Re: Atheist, Agnostic, Buddhist, & Pagan Weight Loss Thread.

Postby vgnwitch » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:09 am

debbie wrote:I cant believe this thread has not been moved. There was a rather stern waring in the journal section from F1Jim about posting in that thread there: "It appears Dr. McDougall has personally intervened and created the new forum called Religious Forum and I would strongly suggest using that venue to discuss religious topics".

Why has this one not been moved or given the same warning? Or are certain people getting certain treatment?

I think only a moderator or an administrator can move a thread. Maybe they just haven't noticed yet.

That said, many consider Buddhism a religion and several groups under the pagan umbrella [like Wicca, Traditional Witchcraft, or Druidry] also identify as religions or spiritual paths, so I would agree that this should probably be in the religion forum.

Honestly, though, I don't see what religion has to do with food and health ... unless you're a Seventh-Day Adventist. :D
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Postby Gweithgar » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:16 am

I sort of think Debbie's statement could be taken several ways. I mean, maybe this thread is being excluded from the Religion board, is not deemed worthy to be there. Whichever, my goodness, such a tempest has sprung up in our little teacup! Can't we all just get along? :roll:
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby AnnaS » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:22 am

I cant believe this thread has not been moved. There was a rather stern waring in the journal section from F1Jim about posting in that thread there: "It appears Dr. McDougall has personally intervened and created the new forum called Religious Forum and I would strongly suggest using that venue to discuss religious topics".

In my opinion it is a reasonable request to have this moved to the Religious Forum...please realize though that there is also a Christian thread that has not been moved yet (from Journal) so it's not like there is some Nefarious Plot going on here! :-)

It looks to me like it's just a matter of some loose ends not being tidied up yet; I am sure the Mods have plenty of other work that requires their attention.

If the person who started a thread contacts f1jim by PM and requests it be moved, I'm sure he'd take care of it for you.
AnnaS

Postby veggiegal » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:43 pm

I think this is a great thread and I don't care where it is posted. I think that everyone, christian and the rest of us should be able to express what we think and how we feel without being attacked because it is not the "norm".

When I was on vegsource they had a religion video that was necessarily pro christian and it got a couple of people mad. The authors of the website replied by saying it was something they found interesting and that is why they posted it just they post ballet videos and any other thing. We all need to except each other for our sameness and our differences or we are doomed. That is why I started my own site to express my personal story and if people don't like it skip it and go to the next.

I think we all should respect each others personal beliefs and learn all we can from each other to evolve into more tolerant , wonderful and loving beings. Is that mushy enough ;)

Kim
veggiegal

Postby samnangmeh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:09 pm

Theravada buddhist here. I believe diet is very important for followers of the Buddha. A buddhist should eat a diet which is compassionate, ethical, pure and healthful. Not all buddhists interpret Buddha's teachings the same way unfortunately, including many of the monks who should be setting an example.
samnangmeh

Postby afreespirit » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:16 pm

samnangmeh wrote:Theravada buddhist here. I believe diet is very important for followers of the Buddha. A buddhist should eat a diet which is compassionate, ethical, pure and healthful. .

Thank you for pointing this out, samnangmeh. The same tenets hold true for serious practitioners of yoga, as well.
afreespirit

Postby alias » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:31 pm

NanTzu wrote:Changing brains & things.....
I have read that meditation actually causes changes in the brain that can be seen with imaging. And I have read a couple articles that natural selection doesn't just happen by accident or over several generations. DNA can actually change to adapt to the environment. Science is fascinating.

---------------------------
Interesting that you should post that. Just this week I saw a PBS special on Epigenetics - The study of how the environment modifies the way genes are expressed. And in last Sunday's NY Times Book Review a featured book was The Genius in Us All:Why Everything You've Been Told About Genetics, Talent, and IQ Is Wrong ~ David Shenk. In that review of his book they also discussed epigenetics. They mentioned how genes are constantly activated and deactivated by environment stimuli, nutrition, hormones, nerve impulses and other genes. As you say, science is fascinating !
alias

Postby Gramma Jackie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:21 pm

I would just like to say that quiting church was the best decision I ever made in my life for several reasons, not the least of which was that one of the things I just couldn't seem to avoid was those HUGE church fellowship dinners. I mean they were like food orgies and every church I went to had them at least once a month and for every special occasion under the sun. I never saw so much fattening food in my life. The women used to actually compete to see who could make the best pies and cakes and recipes were traded like baseball cards. I NEVER and I mean NEVER met anyone at church who was a vegetarian much less a vegan. If you mentioned vegetarianism to them they looked at you like you had 2 heads. I also got very tired of listening to sermon after sermon about animal sacrifices in the Old Testament. Animal sacrifice is the bloodiest most disgusting practice I can think of outside serial murder. How anyone can think that type of thing is spiritual is beyond me.
Now that I am away from all that I think I can be MORE spirtual as my body gets in tune with the earth from which it evolved. :)
Gramma Jackie

Postby afreespirit » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:26 pm

"I think I can be MORE spirtual as my body gets in tune with the earth from which it evolved."

Gramma Jackie, you said that very well. That is a helpful thought that really gives me some insight and I am going to remember it.

Thanks for the "Aha!" moment.

Glad you are well away from the church dinners. I wonder how many were really there mostly just for the food, and not the "fellowship"?
afreespirit

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:53 pm

vgnwitch wrote:
debbie wrote:I
Honestly, though, I don't see what religion has to do with food and health ... unless you're a Seventh-Day Adventist. :D

Actually, there are a lot of religions that have beliefs about food and nutrition. The LDS Church comes to mind (the Word of Wisdom cautions against alcohol, hot drinks (generally interpreted to mean coffee and tea) and advises to eat meat sparingly, and eat fruits and vegetables in season. Many Budhists are vegetarian, as are many Hindus and members of the Krishna Consciousness.

Apart from that, many people find it useful if they have spiritual support for lifestyle chages they are trying to make. On the other hand, tying a diet to religion can be a turnoff for others who might otherwise benefit.

I say, do whatever it takes to help you maintain a health supporting diet and lifestyle.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsoACrk/]
[/url]
Vanilla Orchid

Postby ncyg46 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:08 pm

afreespirit wrote:"I think I can be MORE spirtual as my body gets in tune with the earth from which it evolved."

Gramma Jackie, you said that very well. That is a helpful thought that really gives me some insight and I am going to remember it.

Glad you are well away from the church dinners. I wonder how many were really there mostly just for the food, and not the "fellowship"?

I am Jewish and don't see a reason for religious forums here...each to his own. I don't see how different religions digest things differently! This is a McDougall forum about food.

My God is the world and what I see in nature....I don't need hypocritical things with the temple and who can outdo the next one with what they own...and show it off. I just do my own thing and believe in "what goes around, comes around" which is the truth for me at least...besides it is really hard to be an **ahole when you are stripped of your wordly possessions! :D :D :D :D said in a joking manner! :D
ncyg46

Postby Gramma Jackie » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:48 am

ncyg46 wrote:
afreespirit wrote:"I think I can be MORE spirtual as my body gets in tune with the earth from which it evolved."

I am Jewish and don't see a reason for religious forums here...each to his own. I don't see how different religions digest things differently! This is a McDougall forum about food.

My God is the world and what I see in nature....I don't need hypocritical things with the temple and who can outdo the next one with what they own...and show it off. I just do my own thing and believe in "what goes around, comes around" which is the truth for me at least...besides it is really hard to be an **ahole when you are stripped of your wordly possessions! :D :D :D :D said in a joking manner! :D

Great post, thanks. One of the reasons I have changed my beliefs is because my daughter married a secular Jewish young man. When that happened, I realized that there is more to life than one narrow exclusive view of the world. :wink:
Gramma Jackie

Postby ncyg46 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:57 am

Gramma Jackie....I totally agree. I have never except as a kid been part of "organized" religion Too much showing off and I enjoy meeting all kinds of people in the world....without religion or politics in the way! :D
ncyg46

Postby petero » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:14 am

Vanilla Orchid wrote:The LDS Church comes to mind (the Word of Wisdom cautions against alcohol, hot drinks

So... no Irish coffee? No bloody mary (I like mine with lots of cayenne)? How do these people live!?

One of the things that's attractive to me about Buddhism is that the Buddha is not a god. The Buddha is an example. Who is the Buddha? You are the Buddha.

And yes, meditation causes alpha-wave activity in the brain, and IIRC (but I could be misremembering) increases brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF, meaning it builds brain cells and/or their connections). Probably not a bad thing to have floating around when you're trying to change habits.

Right Action and Right Livelihood are part of the Noble Eightfold Path. Right Action would prevent consumption of meat, and Right Livelihood specifically forbids business in meat, and is just something we need to see more of these days.

The diet advocated here goes really well with The Pleasure Trap, Buddhism, and the ideas of Voluntary Simplicity. Not spending as much time or psychic energy on food can open up a whole new world of activity--like taking to the streets for a national health insurance policy! :cool:

--Peter
petero

Postby Gramma Jackie » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:05 am

Since this is a weight loss thread, just thought I would post my weight loss since getting back on track with McDougall this past week. I lost 15 lbs. last fall with MWL, then gained back 5 over the holidays. Then got back to MWL after the holidays and lost 10 and just this past week lost another 5.
So I've re-lost all I gained. :-) This plan REALLY works if a person sticks with it.
Gramma Jackie

PreviousNext

Return to Religious Forum